What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

dragonreddy

Juniors
Now we are supposed to be grateful that we got so close to the second place team...

We were abysmal for most of that game. let it not be forgotten.

Coach is the coach but we have some rubbish 'rep' players Norman, Hunt, T Sims

Tyson did very little but drop more balls...

Exactly ,had that last try not been scored we would have been talking about another absolutely inept performance.

I'm sure McGregor would have trotted out the ' IF THE FIELD WERE 98 METRES " we would have scored chestnut for Aitken's earlier effort , if the last try wasn't scored.

I don't care how many origin players we have because when they come back to clubland they play like they should be in reserve grade.

Hunt is the biggest waste of salary cap ,I have ever seen ,he is not a game manager and he makes more mistakes than Benji used to and then tries to make up for it with trick shot plays which usually don't come off and that makes him look even worse.

For sure the last try papered over the cracks yet again because everyone was talking about the the cliff hanger finish ,rightly so ,but forgetting about the prior 75 minutes of bash and barge we trotted out as usual .

I didn't see the press conference but can just imagine the bullshit but at the end of the day we didn't play anywhere near well enough to deserve a win yet almost did ,big wake up for the Bunnies

rednwhites

Juniors
It isn't as simple as that unfortunately.

We had a near full strength team. Souths players were clearly confident they could tire us out and steam roll us at the end. We were errant with the ball in hand (Hunt, Widdop, Tyson, Aitken drop balls, misdirected passes), and quite meagre when attacking to put it succinctly.

Our game didn't start offensively until the 65 minute mark. 65 minutes of cringeworthy football. While some scramble on either side and off goal kicking stopped Souths accumulating a big score, they showed they only needed half a set to put us down ultimately. Summed up our last 5 years perfectly.

It would have been heart-breaking instead it was almost laughable. I can't describe the feeling.

Now for the real awful bit...

From what I've seen in the media and from our board, I get a strong feeling that this loss has probably strengthened his hold on the coaching job. Such is the level of mediocrity that our leaders have brought us to.

I feel for every red and white supporter out there. This is not just a lean 9 years, this is a smear on the integrity of the club. Sure, when this guy goes and a professional takes his place we may improve, but our reputation has changed for ever.

rednwhites

Juniors
I didn't see the press conference but can just imagine the bullshit but at the end of the day we didn't play anywhere near well enough to deserve a win yet almost did ,big wake up for the Bunnies

To sum up the press conference, it was like when they changed the rule to uncontested scrums.

Very soft questioning from the 'journos' who referred to him as mate, and a pointless exercise.

They just give him a chance to talk statistics like a politician to make us look good.

BLM01

First Grade
It isn't as simple as that unfortunately.

We had a near full strength team. Souths players were clearly confident they could tire us out and steam roll us at the end. We were errant with the ball in hand (Hunt, Widdop, Tyson, Aitken drop balls, misdirected passes), and quite meagre when attacking to put it succinctly.

Our game didn't start offensively until the 65 minute mark. 65 minutes of cringeworthy football. While some scramble on either side and off goal kicking stopped Souths accumulating a big score, they showed they only needed half a set to put us down ultimately. Summed up our last 5 years perfectly.

It would have been heart-breaking instead it was almost laughable. I can't describe the feeling.

Now for the real awful bit...

From what I've seen in the media and from our board, I get a strong feeling that this loss has probably strengthened his hold on the coaching job. Such is the level of mediocrity that our leaders have brought us to.

I feel for every red and white supporter out there. This is not just a lean 9 years, this is a smear on the integrity of the club. Sure, when this guy goes and a professional takes his place we may improve, but our reputation has changed for ever.
Our reputation for fragility on the mental side and tough underbelly of the game was saved for 3 years under Wayne..it is down rock bottom again regardless off what stars we have as a squad.
It is not our best players fault it is the lack of assistance they get from tough mentally adaptable coaching staff and support from the blokes that need a rocket who hold onto their spot despite poor efforts.

dragonreddy

Juniors
To sum up the press conference, it was like when they changed the rule to uncontested scrums.

Very soft questioning from the 'journos' who referred to him as mate, and a pointless exercise.

They just give him a chance to talk statistics like a politician to make us look good.

The preferential treatment this bloke gets is actually sickening.

Just had a quick look at the coach stats there are only 4 coaches who are at their current club longer than ours ,Bellamy,Robbo, Green, Stuart , 3 have won premierships in recent years and Stuart is premiership winning coach who has current side playing like a side that belongs in the top half of the comp .
Then there is McGregor ,Mr middle of the road ,and yet he seems to get the privelidge of the top liners with the journos.

Remember when the Bulldogs sacked Des Hasler at the end of 2017 even though they had re-signed him for 2018 and 2019 halfway through that season? And they didn't pay him out because there was a clause in the contract contingent on performance that year

Boy I hope the board was smart enough to do that. (They aren't)

Yeah, but Desmond sued them and they settled out of court with the dogs having to stump up.

If renno had his kicking boots on, the gallant fightback from broken play at the end wouldn’t have mattered one iota.

I’m still trying to check to see if the wabbits last pass was forward. Not that it matters....

The fightback from saints was freaky but was the kind of play that Mary has used as as excuse when he loses -as it came from a poor kick!

“Almost got two tries” was another Mary “classic.”

Not one journo asked him if he thought his coaching performance was up to scratch or challenged his explanations.

I used to coach football (soccer) and I know when you've lost the shed. No matter how hard you work, how many brilliant ideas you have if the players lose faith in you it's never going to happen on the pitch.
I coached one side for 5 years. The first two years we were minor premiers and grand final winners (undefeated in the second season), the third year we narrowly missed another grand final. After a one year hiatus the team reformed in Under 25s and the magic was well and truly gone. One or two guys came in from bigger clubs and questioned how and why things were done and that spreads through the player group. In the last season there were some good results (a comfortable 6-0 away win against a top 4 side, for instance) but in other games they looked disjointed and disinterested and one or two shellackings happened on the way. Sound familiar?

Mary won't do the decent thing - like I did at my last club - and fall on his sword, the board won't sack him cos they'd have to pay him out and there really isn't a suitable replacement, just more untried waterboys and duds who've tried and failed elsewhere.

So, enjoy the next two years, kids!.

Total Package

Juniors
I don't think last night's loss is another nail in the coffin. However, one or two losses to the Titans will surely sound his death knell

thebigredv

First Grade
10,000 posts later and no closer to the back of Mary. The writing was quite literally on the wall 3 years ago and yet excuses were made, standards were lowered all in the interests of a few men who prefer their own comfort.

In an age where the NRL is looking to relocate teams, this club has signed its own death warrant.

Congratulations to the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Latest posts