What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting rid of Foxtel

Vic Mackey

Referee
So I’ve finally got the Mrs to agree to let us get rid of Foxtel. However I’m not sure what the best way to then have your tv is. I’ve been in my current home for just over 10 years and Fox installed when I moved in. I’m still on the same IQ 1 set box that I had then. I don’t think we have any other aerial.

Have a 1 year old Sony smart TV with Netflix etc.

Do I need to get some sort of set top box? Apple TV?

Pommy

Coach
So I’ve finally got the Mrs to agree to let us get rid of Foxtel. However I’m not sure what the best way to then have your tv is. I’ve been in my current home for just over 10 years and Fox installed when I moved in. I’m still on the same IQ 1 set box that I had then. I don’t think we have any other aerial.

Personally I I think Apple TV is great, I would wait until tomorrow though as there’s rumours Netflix and Foxtel have thrown in together and details will be announced at a press conference.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m assuming you’ll be going Kayo plus Netflix.
Most smart TVs have a Netflix app these days but only a few have Kayo. They’re supposed to be rolling out more apps but are taking their time.
AppleTV is probably the best option as it has the best featured apps and doesn’t require any other device to function.
Chromecast is cheaper but you’ll need a phone or tablet to send the signal from.
Or you can just run an HDMI cable from your phone or laptop which is cheapest but not as tidy. You get what you pay for I guess.

___

Juniors
Personally I I think Apple TV is great, I would wait until tomorrow though as there’s rumours Netflix and Foxtel have thrown in together and details will be announced at a press conference.
This will be a pretty stupid move by Netflix. They (and Kayo) are currently the reason why many people are unsubscribing from Foxtel. If they merge with them, it will be bad for business. Apart from that the only thing I really see happening here is they stay separate entities but Foxtel and Netflix subscribers have both services done via Foxtel.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I suspect the deal won’t be a merger but more like Foxtel including Netflix content in one of its entertainment packages.

I've just recently done the same thing. I have an older Sony TV though so it doesn't have an Android OS. Still has the Netflix app which is lucky but can't get Kayo yet. If your Sony is android then you should be able to get all the apps you need from the app store and you won't have any issues.

At the moment, I'm running Kayo through an apple TV. It works fine. I also have a Chromecast which I use for the other TV's in the house.

The only thing I miss about Foxtel is the directory. It was handy having all of the channels in one easy place that I could scroll through. Now I have the digital tv directory and then have to switch to an app for netflix or the apple tv for Kayo.

A friend tells me that he has Telstra TV and this makes his life easier... All the channels and apps in the one place. I'm looking into it but haven't got one yet so can't really comment.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thanks for this everyone. This is probably a stupid question but I’m terrible with any technology stuff. Will I just be able to watch normal tv ok? Or do I need some sort of set top box I.e Apple TV for it?

Thanks for this everyone. This is probably a stupid question but I’m terrible with any technology stuff. Will I just be able to watch normal tv ok? Or do I need some sort of set top box I.e Apple TV for it?

As long as you have an antenna, you'll be able to get all the digital tv channels (2, 7, 9, 10, sbs and all the other extra channels they have). Set top box or Apple TV is just for stuff that needs an app like Netflix or Kayo.

Interesting that the SMH has an article about this very subject on their website the last couple of days. Apparently people who've been threatening to cancel have been getting deals as good as platinum for $35...

Seems Foxtel subscribers have been leaving in droves since the end of GOT and why wouldn't they?

I was a subscriber for 16 years and had nothing but price increases until a couple of years ago when I got wind of the fact that if you rang and threatened to cancel they would generally negotiate a better deal. The last 12 months I had platinum for $85 which was still too much imo but considering there were no other options for sport and GOT, I continued to play the game.

Of course, when I recently got a bill for $140, signalling that my $85 deal had ended and it happened to coincide with GOT finishing and Kayo sports becoming available... I called Fox again and they wouldn't do better than $85 so I cut them off.

Honestly... In a lot of ways, Kayo is better and at $25... It's an absolute no brainer.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I don't care what anyone else says. I have lost my shit. No matter what I do , I can't watch RL, I can watch anything else but no no no no I can't watch rugby league even if I search for it and I have pulled every cable out 100 f**king times. I pay 130 at least a month, I'm pissed. What The f**k?

Willow

Assistant Moderator

No one has mentioned it yet but another option is Optus Fetch. It has an easy directory to all the FTA and Optus channels plus Netflix, Stan etc. It has FTA catch up with a directory for On Demand, iView etc. You can also record programs and set a series tag so every show in a series is recorded.

I like the personal preference settings for recording stuff. I set it up so it records any NRL game where Saints are playing. Optus doesn't have the Saturday games but you've got Kayosports (or the pub) as a fallback for those.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Kayo has all its content on demand anyway so if you have that you don’t need to worry about recording anything sport-wise.