What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 Vs Raiders

franklin2323

Immortal
Players have died or become paralysed in fairly normal tackles too.

Anyway the NRL banned the shoulder charge before the Queensland Cup incident, their reasoning to ban it was surrounding concussion.

No issue with making it safer but I am certain hitups off the kickoff for example or an outside back kick return would do more damage then 95% of tackles. Aside from those that actually contact with the head

OldPanther

Coach
Players have died or become paralysed in fairly normal tackles too.

Anyway the NRL banned the shoulder charge before the Queensland Cup incident, their reasoning to ban it was surrounding concussion.

Yeah but it's an unnecessary and reckless way to do it. You can still get big hits without it. It's irrelevant though because Kikau's tackle wasn't a shoulder charge.

TheFrog

Coach
A player died from a shoulder charge so I'd say yes.
Do you have a link? Things like where in his body was he hit and what happened next, and the nature of the sport.

Edit: Is this the one in Queensland Cup? I take it the NRL sought medical advice on the likelihood of an impact to the body causing a blood vessel in the neck to burst, and whether this is a risk from other kinds of tackles as well.

It's irrelevant though because Kikau's tackle wasn't a shoulder charge.

Looked to me the contact was from Kikau's chest, into the chest of Nichols. A fairly broad point of contact.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Do you have a link? Things like where in his body was he hit and what happened next, and the nature of the sport.

Edit: Is this the one in Queensland Cup? I take it the NRL sought medical advice on the likelihood of an impact to the body causing a blood vessel in the neck to burst, and whether this is a risk from other kinds of tackles as well.

Looked to me the contact was from Kikau's chest, into the chest of Nichols. A fairly broad point of contact.

I could give you the news articles but I don't think they'll cover the details you want unfortunately. They are good points.

Yeah it wasn't the kind of things most fans expect from a shoulder charge which is the problem with the ruling. There isn't an issue with suspending players but there is a big one with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a set standard for us to go into games knowing what to expect from the officials/Match Review Committee.

Yeah but it's an unnecessary and reckless way to do it. You can still get big hits without it. It's irrelevant though because Kikau's tackle wasn't a shoulder charge.

That’s my point. The panic about shoulder charges has lead to Kikaus tackle being seen as a shoulder charge. To 99% of people it’s a tackle, but because one arm didn’t wrap around the attacker quickly enough they class it as a shoulder charge. Without the panic this doesn’t happen.

No issue with making it safer but I am certain hitups off the kickoff for example or an outside back kick return would do more damage then 95% of tackles. Aside from those that actually contact with the head

Exactly.

They’ve made it look like they’re fixing something, when in fact several legal parts of the game are probably worse.

There simply hasn’t been a comprehensive study in the issue, we only know some players end up with CTE. We can’t say wether it’s the shoulder charges or just the repeated contact. But it seems much more likely to be the latter.

OldPanther

Coach
That’s my point. The panic about shoulder charges has lead to Kikaus tackle being seen as a shoulder charge. To 99% of people it’s a tackle, but because one arm didn’t wrap around the attacker quickly enough they class it as a shoulder charge. Without the panic this doesn’t happen.

We are in agreement on that point.

10Grand

Juniors
After watching the Sharks v Cowboys I felt that there was a genuine mindset not to tackle play makers late, maybe the Kikau suspension has put everyone on notice wether it be late or for shoulder charge.

OldPanther

Coach
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has reduced his squad to face Canberra Raiders at Panthers Stadium on Sunday.

Viliame Kikau has been omitted after receiving a two-match suspension while Spencer Leniu will play for the Panthers Canterbury Cup side against Mounties.

Liam Martin appears set to return at lock following a quad injury while Isaah Yeo shifts to the edge to accommodate the likely change.

Panthers v Raiders
Panthers Stadium
4.05pm Sunday 28 July

1. Dylan EDWARDS - sponsored by Lendcorp
2. Josh MANSOUR - sponsored by Daily Press
3. Dean WHARE - sponsored by Volvo Cars Penrith
4. Brent NADEN - sponsored by AMA Event Management
5. Brian TO'O - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings
6. James MALONEY - sponsored by Soneta Plumbing
7. Nathan CLEARY - sponsored by Tuff Mouthguards
8. James TAMOU (c) - sponsored by Signace
9. Mitch KENNY - sponsored by Hertz
10. James FISHER-HARRIS - sponsored by HIX Group
13. Isaah YEO - sponsored by Zoo Fitness
12. Frank WINTERSTEIN - sponsored by Chemtools
21. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by Stylus Blinds

14. Wayde EGAN - sponsored by Chardon & Abbott Home Loans
15. Jarome LUAI - sponsored by Protech Locksmiths
16. Moses LEOTA - sponsored by Potter Automotive
17. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD - sponsored by Bidfood
18. Jed CARTWRIGHT - sponsored by CETNAJ Wetherill Park/Rouse Hill
20. Stephen CRICHTON- sponsored by Worldwide Parramatta

OldPanther

Coach
Game day hype time!! It's going to be a long day waiting for 4pm.

giphy.gif

OldPanther

Coach
So the Raiders are favourites according to fox. Expectation is our worst enemy so this could be good.

Last edited:

Latest posts