What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

Allow the ball to be stripped with more than 1 in the tackle. Would be easier to do this if we went to 11 a side with a 5m defensive line.

forby

Juniors
The rulings are too subjective, and it should go back to the old interpretation without the drop off bs.

LineBall

Juniors
The rulings are too subjective, and it should go back to the old interpretation without the drop off bs.

Nah - would be better to allow stripping no matter how many in the tackle. Less for the refs to decide if it was a loose carry, how many players were involved at the time of the strip etc. Make it easier, not harder.

I would like to see them implement what another poster suggested - that a ball lost in the tackle should be treated like a charge down. It's not a knock on by either team, but you don't get 6 again if you were the attacking team.

edabomb

First Grade
Nah - would be better to allow stripping no matter how many in the tackle. Less for the refs to decide if it was a loose carry, how many players were involved at the time of the strip etc. Make it easier, not harder.

I would like to see them implement what another poster suggested - that a ball lost in the tackle should be treated like a charge down. It's not a knock on by either team, but you don't get 6 again if you were the attacking team.

Would this kill attacking second phase play though? Surely your forwards main goal would be to maintain possession going into the tackle rather than look too offload.

I think a return to the prior rule is the best option. I think you'll see more steals based on this rule change going forward even if we revert back.

SDM

First Grade
Change it back, it will get worse next year otherwise.
2 players hold the ball carriers arms, while the third bloke secures a better grip on the ball, then release at a point when possession had realistically already changed.

LineBall

Juniors
Would this kill attacking second phase play though? Surely your forwards main goal would be to maintain possession going into the tackle rather than look too offload.

I think a return to the prior rule is the best option. I think you'll see more steals based on this rule change going forward even if we revert back.

I don't think so. The player can either get an arm free for an offload or he can't. I can't see that changing too much.

Fangs

Coach
Its a complete shitfight with the players, refs and fans having no idea what's going on

I couldn't understand the ruling or decisions about 3-4 times yesterday. I feel like I'm a retiree.

'The game was better in my day'.

Fangs

Coach
I think teams will adapt. The better teams are getting away with it. The shittier teams struggle. I'll be surprised if we see much of it when we get down to the business end of 2019.

Have the NRL, Fox or Channel 9 created a statistic for it yet? Or will it just fall under the definition of a strip.

T-Boon

Coach
The refereeing of it will improve. It is new to these refs and cynical coaching has a big advantage right now because those lazy bastards get paid full time to find cheat tactics.
How about Kearney the other day? What a whinging cheat.

edabomb

First Grade
I don't think so. The player can either get an arm free for an offload or he can't. I can't see that changing too much.

But with 2 or 3 already in the tackle it's going to be easier for an additional defender to come in and secure the ball.

TheVelourFog

First Grade

At this point it is basically union.

Go and watch that then.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
One on one, fine. Everything else get rid inckuding this "act of scoring a try" rubbish. More subjectivity equals more uncertainty and inconsistency, which is basically stopping League from becoming more popular.

LineBall

Juniors
At this point it is basically union.

Go and watch that then.

For most of League's history you have been allowed to strip the ball in the tackle. When it was legal, it still didn't happen that often.

Most of the strips I've seen in the past few matches have not been the result of two players disabling the attacker so a third man can come in and latch onto the ball.

Tiger5150

Bench
I predict that this thread gets a regular spike in traffic every monday with fans of whatever team Canberra plays flooding in.

Sime_11

Juniors
I predict that this thread gets a regular spike in traffic every monday with fans of whatever team Canberra plays flooding in.

guilty :p

one on one - how it used to be - none of this players drop off BS, it wont affect player's like Bateman, Munster & Hodgson as they are good enough to strip the ball one of one without other defensive assistance.

AJB1102

First Grade
I don't get the fans saying the rule is too tough to understand. If Sticky can get the idea across to the tiny brained morons who play for the Raiders any fan with a pulse can understand it

Wait for Joey Leilua to come back and take his shorts off when Hodgo gives the strip call.

Latest posts