What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best adaptation of works by Stephen King

Best adaptation of works by Stephen King

• Total voters

nöyd

Staff member
As per the following quote from another thread:

We should do a poll for best Stephen King movie. Plenty of great ones (Carrie, IT (new one), Stand by me).

Unfortunately there can only be 10 films added to the poll (although it is highly likely 1 film will be head and shoulders above the rest). Notable exceptions to the poll are:

Cujo
Creepshow
The Mist
Apt Pupil
Salems Lot (TV)
The Stand (TV mini-series)

When I was in high school you had to get in quick to borrow the next new King novel from the library, led to some quite heated arguments in the playground lol

PJ

First Grade
I voted the safe and easiest, Shawshank, but for mine it is also very true.

Second would have been The Mist, but bit of a cheat as the ending was such a stronng and important part of it and it wasn't King's.

Matua

Bench
Is it best film rather than best page to screen adaption? Or does it not matter?

Shawshank, Misery and Stand By Me are my favourites on the list - I'm not a fan of 'horror'.

PJ

First Grade
Is it best film rather than best page to screen adaption? Or does it not matter?

Shawshank, Misery and Stand By Me are my favourites on the list - I'm not a fan of 'horror'.

IMO Shawshank is both. Really nailed the personality King puts in nearly all his characters and what makes him such a great writer.

Mong

Post Whore
I wouldn’t even know where to start. King was a large part of my childhood and with the frequency he put out books I was forever reading something of his.

The only earlyish book I struggled with was the tommy knockers, but strangely loved the movie.

Big Pete

Referee
Just to add a couple to the discussion, 1983's The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken is one of the best thrillers of the decade. The movie goes in a direction that feels surprisingly modern.

It's not nearly as good but Depp and Turturro's performance is strong enough to make Secret Window worth a watch. From memory, it was better than the novella it was based on which was pretty forgettable.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Stand by me is still probably my favourite, I loved it as a kid. Watched it a while back and it still holds up well.

They really have butchered a lot of his work. Especially the abortion that was the Dark Tower, it and the Stand deserve so much better.

PJ

First Grade
Stand by me is still probably my favourite, I loved it as a kid. Watched it a while back and it still holds up well.

They really have butchered a lot of his work. Especially the abortion that was the Dark Tower, it and the Stand deserve so much better.

Disagree. Absolutely love the book, but thought the miniseries was pretty average.

I always remember the novella The Running Man, reading it as a kid and then being totally confused by the film.

Always got the feeling The Maze Runner was just a re-imagined The Long Walk too.

Springs09

Juniors
Shawshank is the obvious winner.

The Mist, 11.22.63 and Mr Mercedes deserve to be on there too.

PJ

First Grade
I always remember the novella The Running Man, reading it as a kid and then being totally confused by the film.

Always got the feeling The Maze Runner was just a re-imagined The Long Walk too.

I think that they are doing a movie version of The Long Walk.

Would love to see a proper version of Running Man