What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour on sale today + Eden Park schedule confirmed

Burns

First Grade
Tickets for the 2019 GB Lions Tour go on sale today. There has been a presale the past few days.

See here: https://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/show.aspx?sh=GBLIONS19

Things to note:
  • The Triple Header will see GB v NZ as the match before Tonga v Australia.
  • Eden Park is currently selling tickets for the lower bowl.
  • There is a 'combo' deal for the Hamilton and Auckland Tonga matches. Can buy a Gold and Silver ticket for both.
Thoughts
Eden Park match seems to be the money spinner. Tickets for other two matches are cheaper. Going to neeeeeeed a really big push. After the NZ v Tonga Mid Year Test, I have no faith in Duco Events to improve their marketing ability.

Going to use this thread as a general 'Crowd Watch' for the Lion tour.

What do you think? Will the three matches sell out? What's the bare minimum?

Burns

First Grade
Just realised that this is on the same time as the Rugby Union World Cup Final. Explains why the Lions v Kiwi game is earlier, will allow NZ fans to leave the ground.

adamkungl

Immortal
Just realised that this is on the same time as the Rugby Union World Cup Final. Explains why the Lions v Kiwi game is earlier, will allow NZ fans to leave the ground.

This was raised months ago
Laughably bad scheduling. Peak Rugby League

Walter sobchak

First Grade
What’s the schedule for the lions tour in NZ? 2 tests against the kiwis in Auckland and Christchurch and a test against Tonga in Hamilton?

Pommy

Coach
What’s the schedule for the lions tour in NZ? 2 tests against the kiwis in Auckland and Christchurch and a test against Tonga in Hamilton?

Great Britain fixtures
  • 26 Oct: Tonga v Great Britain, Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
  • 2 Nov: New Zealand v Great Britain, Eden Park, Auckland
  • 9 Nov: New Zealand v Great Britain, Christchurch Stadium
  • 16 Nov: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain, Port Moresby

Burns

First Grade
PNG game will be great for the game. Should be something like that every years, especially now that the PMXIII has pulled out to play Fiji instead.

Pommy

Coach
PNG game will be great for the game. Should be something like that every years, especially now that the PMXIII has pulled out to play Fiji instead.

I thought they Aussies were rotating it every year now?

yakstorm

First Grade
The PMXIII is going to alternate between PNG and Fiji, so next year it will be back in Port Moresby, but yes, in 2021, 23, 25 and so on, they should be looking for alternate opponents.

So in terms of selling, I feel like the pricing for Hamilton and Christchurch, plus the Bay splits are a lot better and appear to have learnt from the mid-year Test.

For Eden Park however, I'm not sure how they justify the top tickets being $13+ more than the top seats at Mt Smart... Whilst it is a triple header, the reality is, outside of say British fans travelling over for the clash (which hopefully there will be a few thousand following the Lions), most people will be coming to catch mainly one game and may stay for a second.

I guess on the plus side, the drop off between Tier pricing is a lot higher (Mt Smart did differentiate between Covered / Uncovered for their top tiers), and the cheapest Adult is just under $30 which is the same as the South Stand at Mt Smart.

Tiers Pricing:
  • Mt Smart: $76.35 | $71.35 | $66.35 | $61.35 | $40.00 | $30.00 | $20.00 (Hill)
  • Hamilton: $59.50 | $49.00 | $39.00 | $29.00 | $24.00
  • Eden Park: $89.78 | $69.78 | $54.78 | $39.78 | $29.78
  • Christchurch: $57.00 | $47.00 | $37.00 | $27.00 | $22.00
I feel like Hamilton will go close to selling out and Christchurch will sell well. Eden Park will be a bit dependent on the result of Lions v Tonga and NZ v Australia matches. If Tonga wins, then I'd expect the Tongan fans to come out in force against the Kangaroos, same if Kiwis beat the Roos or it is a close match, then this will help the crowd as well.

If however we end up with both Tonga and NZ having uninspiring losses, I can see the stadium unfortunately being pretty empty...

Burns

First Grade
Man, How good are Yak's posts? Always goos seeing you in the threads.

I agree completely with everything. For the GB Lions Tour to have a future (leaving aside whether it should) - they need to turn a profit from these whole thing. You would think that would require a sell out for every match.

On form lines, I would expect NZ to be very strong, if not even against Australia. Tonga however, well, shrug? If they get belted against GB, good luck for Eden Park.

For our English posters - do you think many will travel over?

roughyedspud

Coach
Apparently the new GB kits that got bought last week are falling apart lol labels falling off cos they are glued on and not stitched on

Pommy

Coach
Apparently the new GB kits that got bought last week are falling apart lol labels falling off cos they are glued on and not stitched on

Mine seems fine after a wash. It’s not uncommon for those bases to be stuck on like that.

latingringo101

Juniors
My predictions

26 Oct:
Tonga v Great Britain, Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (15 k)
  • 2 Nov: New Zealand v Great Britain, Eden Park, Auckland (30 k)
  • 9 Nov: New Zealand v Great Britain, Christchurch Stadium (15 k)
  • 16 Nov: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain, Port Moresby (15k).

Latest posts