What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garth Brennan and Titans part ways, Holbrook to take over in 2020

Haffa

What? It’s not Kevie? Reading the Play spent a week on Twitter telling us it was a done deal. :joy:

Jean Capdouze

Juniors
What? It’s not Kevie? Reading the Play spent a week on Twitter telling us it was a done deal. :joy:
Kevin Walters always maintained he wasn’t interested in the position. What are you on about? Justin will bring his brilliant ESL coaching record to the Titans and possibly a few equally brilliant players with him, one being Theo Fages.

typicalfan

Coach
If Kevin Walters didn't apply which is some of the speculation I have heard, then why is it that he has been shafted or overlooked. I mean, I didn't apply either.

T-Boon

Coach
Is it unfair that I hate the people on the GC now? Not anyone personally, just in the abstract. I feel like they've disrespected my beloved NRL. I may be prejudiced because every time I've been there I've felt out of place among the tourist traps and dumb tourists touristing them. It's like a glittering sewer. It has all the conceit and artificiality of Los Angeles without any of the substance. The best foreign analogue I can think of for the GC is Miami in America. Which is kind of like a backwards L.A. They all rally behind their Miami Dolphins though. In spite of their sugary existence.

The theme parks are good

AJB1102

First Grade
If Kevin Walters didn't apply which is some of the speculation I have heard, then why is it that he has been shafted or overlooked. I mean, I didn't apply either.

I didn't apply either. Dunno about you, but I never even got a call or email to let me know.

f**k the Titans. Feeling pretty shafted.

Basically the Titans and their new coach are so irrelevant that the best headline they can drum up is about someone of note not getting a job he didn't want.

aqua_duck

Coach
Has anyone actually figured out what Mal Meninga's actual job is up there and how will that affect Holbrook's plans and level of authority

some11

Referee
Has anyone actually figured out what Mal Meninga's actual job is up there and how will that affect Holbrook's plans and level of authority
Hes just there to give them some clout, except he has no real skill in anything organisation related it seems.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Justin Holbrook confirmed as Titans coach from 2020
Gold Coast Titans | July 31 2019 7:03PM

The Gold Coast Titans can confirm the appointment of Justin Holbook as the NRL club's Head Coach for at least the next two seasons.

Holbrook, currently the Head Coach of Super League leaders St Helens, will join the Titans in November to begin the club's pre-season preparations for the 2020 season.

The Titans respectfully delayed making the news public to honour Holbrook's request to deliver the news personally to his players and staff at St Helens before any official announcement.

Holbrook has built his team culture at St Helens around the key value of trust - a philosophy the Titans share through our Club's RAPT values of being Resilient, Accountable, Proud and Trustworthy.

Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt said the Club was delighted to secure Holbrook's signature to lead the Gold Coast into a new era in the NRL.

"I think everyone in rugby league would be aware of the tremendous success that Justin has enjoyed in Super League, rebuilding St Helens to the top of Super League and taking them to the Challenge Cup final," Watt said.

"Justin is very highly regarded, and it is a tremendous vote of confidence in the future of the Titans and the work that is already being done at the Club that he has chosen the Gold Coast to begin his NRL career."

Holbrook, 43, said he was excited by the prospect of joining the Titans and returning the Gold Coast to the top of the NRL ladder.

"The ingredients for a truly great club already exist at the Titans, and I am looking forward to moving to the Gold Coast to play my part in turning that vision into a reality," Holbrook said.

"The Titans are a very strong club backed by a strong rugby league community, with a fantastic junior nursery that feeds an exceptional development and pathway system.

"I can't wait to begin working with the excellent people already within the organisation to help the club reach its true potential.

"I will of course be sad to leave St Helens, and will always be thankful for the opportunity and support that the club and its amazing fans gave to me.

"I will never forget my experience at St Helens, and hope to replicate it in my next challenge with the Gold Coast Titans."

"I would like to make special mention and thank the Gold Coast Titans for allowing me time to address my current players personally regarding my decision to join the Gold Coast, which could only occur this morning due to our training schedule.

"It was important the players heard it first from me, not by reading it online, as I have created an honest and trusted environment here at St Helens which needed to be respected."

Watt said the Titans had been impressed by the quality of the candidates that had applied for the Head Coach position at the Gold Coast.

"While our results on the field in recent times have not been up to standard, I think the terrific work and results that are being achieved in the other areas of the Club are proof that the Titans are on the rise," Watt said.

"The people that choose to look beneath the surface and not judge the Titans book by the cover of on-field results would see that the Club is in tremendous health, with strong foundations for rapid growth.

"The Club took its time in the appointment of our next Head Coach, because it was a critical decision in the Club's history and had to be done correctly.

"The calibre of the applicants was outstanding, and each of them was judged against strict and detailed criteria to ensure we found the best person for the job, and in the best interests of the Club.

"The English Super League has proven to be a successful system for the next generation of top-level coaches to finish their apprenticeships.

"The last two coaches to come back to the NRL after coaching in Super League were Michael Maguire and Trent Robinson, and both won premierships on their return to Australia. We would love to see Justin continue that tradition.

"His values and ambitions are in alignment with that of our Club. Justin will be a tremendous asset to the future of the Gold Coast Titans."

Eamonn McManus, Chairman of St.Helens R.F.C. said: "From St. Helens' perspective, we are clearly disappointed that Justin has ultimately decided not to enter into a new contract with us.

"We did everything practical to persuade him to stay, but we must respect his decision to join the Gold Coast Titans and to return to Australia with his young family. We wish him every success and more in his career and life ahead.

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/33815-justin-holbrook-confirmed-as-titans-coach-from-2020/

Justin Holbrook is a fantastic coach who is held in high regard in the Super League.

Holbrook is probably best known for leading the Roosters to a 4 game winning streak back in the early 2000s.

He would have played plenty more games (and perhaps pushed for representative honours) had he not been stuck behind the mercurial Craig Wing.

I hope that he's given the authority to remove the horrible Dale Copley from his roster and replace him with a talented player, perhaps the French superstar Theo Fages.

Basically the Titans and their new coach are so irrelevant that the best headline they can drum up is about someone of note not getting a job he didn't want.

Justin Holbrook is hardly irrelevant. He is a protege of the brilliant Trent Robinson, and he is currently the best coach in Super League (where Trent Robinson also got his first coaching job).

no name

Coach
Not sure a rookie (at NRL level) is what the Titans need.
I would have preferred Toovey or Griffin

Anyway, good luck to him, hope he proves me wrong.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not sure a rookie (at NRL level) is what the Titans need.
I would have preferred Toovey or Griffin

Anyway, good luck to him, hope he proves me wrong.

I don't get why people are so keen on a bloke who's been sacked from 2 clubs with at best middling results.
The benefits of previous NRL experience when that experience doesn't include a premiership are vastly overstated

Someguy

First Grade
Can they just fold for the rest of the season, maybe come back next year with a new name and jersey

davi

Juniors
eJ97Z9n.png
pUiBSXA.gif

People who liked this post did you even read the article? You would realize that a five year plan isn't that laughable with what Justin Holbrook has to contend with being forced to wait for some of these horrible contracts Garth Brennen handed out to expire.

NRL.com understands that the Titans owners are extremely reluctant to pay even a portion of a player's contract to play elsewhere, a stance CEO Steve Mitchell confirmed on Tuesday.

"We're not in favour of doing that," Mitchell said.

That means the likes of Shannon Boyd, Tyrone Peachey, Leilani Latu and Bryce Cartwright, who have come to the club on lucrative long-term contracts, are unlikely to be moved on in the short term.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/30/holbrooks-five-year-mandate-to-turn-titans-around/

Latest posts