What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary safe. But Hornby and Young facing the axe

Walpole

Juniors
Very brave move from such a forward thinking board. Truly gutsy move to toss support staff out on their arses. Throw out the kid that hands the tee to the goalkicker too I reckon!
Crisis averted :sunglasses::ok_hand:
Exactly. I haven't been happy with that kids performance for months!

On a more serious note, can we assume that Barrett and Timmins replace Young and Hornby? Or they promote Head and bring back Snoopy Collins?

Or maybe Cooper and Gaz? To play in the centres that is...

BLM01

First Grade
I bet Dean Young and Hornby do not go and get a token job somewhere..maybe take over HPU
Dean Young's old man is on the board so no surprise or conflict of interest there and Hornby is our most capped player so we are not that disloyal :)

I told you bye bye Pickers...it is all HPU's fault.

BLM01

First Grade
This is exactly what irks me about our players positive media conferences and what is wrong at our club...everything is all OK'

Brad Walter
"For the first time this season Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been able to select his strongest possible team"

My comments - Maryism Excuse 101 and its because Lats is back...go figure

Paul Vaughan
"The team was refusing to look further than their next game" - it was good to be able to compete with a top-four team like Souths".All you really ask when you are playing footy is for everyone to work for each other and that is what we want to do this weekend.”

My comments - competing aint enough in this game!
and focussing on next week and working for each other, that should be given each week, what were you guys focussing on before this?..that is a Mary coached side as he is calculating wins and losses to make the 8 from Round 1

Lomax
"Mary actually told us that last week was the first week he was able to pick whatever team he wanted for the whole year, so to lose in the last 15 or 20 seconds to a team who are running second is a confidence boost,”

My comments. Mary excusing himself to the masses again and the way you lost that game gives you confidence. I would of thought it would of dented your mind....close enough is good enough at our club

Tariq
"if we start focusing on those games in a couple of weeks it is not going to do us any good so I think getting that tunnel vision for this week’s game against Parramatta is good for us,” “I thought last week was a step in the right direction I think if we play to our potential we can go a long way.”

My comments - he is saying this stuff after Round 19, step in right direction, go a long way. Round 2 I would accept this and we have not played to our potential all year..FFS
Again it is clear to me they do not look 1 game ahead as Bellamy and Robbo publicly focus on when addressing their players
Mary soundls like he tells them what they could and should achieve down the track! and that is their focus

grouch

First Grade
tenor.gif

Mickthedragon

Juniors
This is exactly what irks me about our players positive media conferences and what is wrong at our club...everything is all OK'

Brad Walter
"For the first time this season Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been able to select his strongest possible team"

Paul Vaughan
"The team was refusing to look further than their next game" - it was good to be able to compete with a top-four team like Souths".All you really ask when you are playing footy is for everyone to work for each other and that is what we want to do this weekend.”

and focussing on next week and working for each other, that should be given each week, what were you guys focussing on before this?..that is a Mary coached side as he is calculating wins and losses to make the 8 from Round 1

Lomax
"Mary actually told us that last week was the first week he was able to pick whatever team he wanted for the whole year, so to lose in the last 15 or 20 seconds to a team who are running second is a confidence boost,”

My comments. Mary excusing himself to the masses again and the way you lost that game gives you confidence. I would of thought it would of dented your mind....close enough is good enough at our club

Tariq
"if we start focusing on those games in a couple of weeks it is not going to do us any good so I think getting that tunnel vision for this week’s game against Parramatta is good for us,” “I thought last week was a step in the right direction I think if we play to our potential we can go a long way.”

My comments - he is saying this stuff after Round 19, step in right direction, go a long way. Round 2 I would accept this and we have not played to our potential all year..FFS
Again it is clear to me they do not look 1 game ahead as Bellamy and Robbo publicly focus on when addressing their players
Mary soundls like he tells them what they could and should achieve down the track! and that is their focus
Exactly, they're not competing for anything when they're out of the race for the 8 with weeks to spare.
It's embarrasing for the club and fans but the board just wanna blame everone else to save face and keep this imposter. It's the same crap everytime

grouch

First Grade
Obviously this is absolutely unsurprising, Teflon McGregor is relentless at ensuring everyone but himself gets thrown under the bus.

However, I am very curious to see how the club and it's associated propaganda arms (The Mercury, Paul Crawley) spin this one, given that, so far, they've been adamant that coaching is not to blame for the shithouse season we've had this year. Apparently it's all been due to "above level distractions" and injuries. If that's true, then why change the coaching staff at all?

McGregor is a cancer. I feel bad for club legends Hornby and Young that they were collateral damage in this. If they aren't already completely ruined by him, then perhaps leaving the club might be the best thing for their coaching careers

BLM01

First Grade
Obviously this is absolutely unsurprising, Teflon McGregor is relentless at ensuring everyone but himself gets thrown under the bus.

However, I am very curious to see how the club and it's associated propaganda arms (The Mercury, Paul Crawley) spin this one, given that, so far, they've been adamant that coaching is not to blame for the shithouse season we've had this year. Apparently it's all been due to "above level distractions" and injuries. If that's true, then why change the coaching staff at all?

McGregor is a cancer. I feel bad for club legends Hornby and Young that they were collateral damage in this. If they aren't already completely ruined by him, then perhaps leaving the club might be the best thing for their coaching careers
But they are not happy with the coaching, team performance and everything else with the way the football department is going.. is why they are shaking things up. but..... it's not Mary's fault..apparently
makes sense to me!.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Search for the scapegoats, persecution of the innocent, praise and glory to the non participants.

Isn't that how these things always go.

Brad Walter

Paul Vaughan

Lomax

Tariq

I love the way they bench mark and get sexed up about their performance against Souths.
The fact is we conceded 4 tries (our season's average) and scored 2 tries playing pretty dumb, one out footy.
We conceded 9 line breaks and souths ran for over 1500m.
Widdop had his kicking boots on and kept us alive until the end.
Put simply, if Reynolds had been kicking well, Souths would not have needed that last gasp try to seal the game.
We were outplayed for most of the game by a Souths team missing key players while we were at full strength.
Even losing the way we did is just consistent with the way we perform in tight games and how we handle clutch plays.
We invariably come off second best.
They have to stop bullsh*tting themselves if they are ever to change their fortunes.

Last edited: