What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 1st Test Australia v England, Edgbaston Aug 1-5

Tommy Smith

Referee
He’s arguably the greatest of all time in all sports. No player has been more dominant on their chosen sport than him. He’s nearly twice as good as the all time greats. Scary especially when you factor in he lost 8 years due to the war.
The Don should be studied at university ... his record fascinates me endlessly because it is such a scarcely believable outlier.

The eternal GoaT.

My all time top 6 would look something like:

Hobbs/Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Don Bradman
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Garry Sobers

I read a Yank study on the greatest sporters once. At the end they had asteriks and mentioned Don.

There was so much curiosity and also WTF when they followed it up, pitting Don againt his own sport and then Jordan and all their big stars of sport.

They literally argued Jordan would have to get a 100 points EVERY game.

Fangs

Coach
Best since Bradman was slapped on Ponting once before as well. Has Steve Smith really earned that title yet?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Best since Bradman was slapped on Ponting once before as well. Has Steve Smith really earned that title yet?
Like all batsmen, including The Don, and regardless of gow fit you are, age and it's effect on eye and reaction will catch up with Smith. At 30 he's probably got 4 years before that happens.

jargan83

Coach
The Don should be studied at university ... his record fascinates me endlessly because it is such a scarcely believable outlier.

The eternal GoaT.

Hobbs/Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Don Bradman
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Garry Sobers

Stick with Hobbs then post it somewhere on Cricinfo, the melt will be delicious.

Bazal

Post Whore
Stick with Hobbs then post it somewhere on Cricinfo, the melt will be delicious.

"HOW CAN YOU LEAVE OUT GAVASKAR AND KOHLI AND DRAVID AND PUJARA AND SEHWAG AND SACHIIIIIIIIIIIIIN AND GANGULY AND LAXMAN YOU ARE A RACIST NOT ONE INDIA PLAYER WHO HAVE PRODUCED ALL THE BEST CRICKETS EVER TO LIVE!!!!! SANDPAPER CHEATER!!!! BRADMAN ONLY PLAYED AGAINST ENGLAND AND FOR HIS STATS MOST OVERRATED BAT SACHIN AND KOHLI AR TRUE GOATS!!!! "

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
talking to some poms on an english forum, they seem to think they have let us off the hook and expecting us to bowl them out for under 100 like Ireland did

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not sure Smiths comparison with Bradman, he was in a different league

Whilst Smith is brilliant at test level, his gap between Williamson and Kholi and others etc..is no where near the gap Bradman had with his nearest rivals

Luckily Smith didn't receive a 5 years suspension eh? :rolleyes:

Worrying thing for us, Siddle and Lyon seemed to bat ok, so the wicket is obviously easier to bat on. Need to get 3-4 wickets in this first session day 2,

.......... other wise we need to unleash hell (MS Wade)

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach

The eternal GoaT.

Hobbs/Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Don Bradman
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Garry Sobers
I’ve got a problem with your number 6. You appear to have misspelt Stoinis.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Surprised England are $1.75 to win. Lot of work to do batting last.

284 is a solid total considering how poor both batting line ups are.

Fangs

Coach
Like all batsmen, including The Don, and regardless of gow fit you are, age and it's effect on eye and reaction will catch up with Smith. At 30 he's probably got 4 years before that happens.

So you think right now he is the best since Bradman? Or that he might be on potential?

Fangs

Coach
I think so. Scores in all conditions and all situations

Fancy the blonde part time leggie becoming that good. This was during a period that saw Shane Watson promoted to opener at test level. Still hard to believe the career he has had.

TheFrog

Coach
Average 62 over 118 innings, I think so.

Fancy the blonde part time leggie becoming that good. This was during a period that saw Shane Watson promoted to opener at test level. Still hard to believe the career he has had.
My son has a mate who is/was a quickie, reckons Smith was his bunny back in the day.

Bazal

Post Whore
So you think right now he is the best since Bradman? Or that he might be on potential?

Pretty clear that he is right now. He's second for all time averages as it stands, and if you take out Voges' inflated, short career the next best modern player is Kumar Sangakkara with an average of 57. Smith beats him by five runs