What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Eels

getsmarty

Immortal
latimore.jpg

DRAGONS

Five things: Round 20 v Eels
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 1 Aug 2019, 10:02 AM

Before the Dragons return to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Sunday against the Parramatta Eels take a look at these five things to keep in mind about the important fixture.

Happy hunting ground for Dragons

As one of the spiritual homes of the Dragons, Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in the heart of Kogarah has hosted numerous victories for the Red V. Parramatta's memories of the stadium are the exact opposite, only winning once in eight visits.

The last time Parramatta travelled to Kogarah was in 2012 when the Dragons narrowly trumped them 14-12. Prior to this, the Dragons recorded back-to-back 30-nil thumpings in 2011 and 2010.

Their only victory at the Stadium came in the 2009 qualifying final when a red-hot Eels outfit trumped the Dragons 25-12.

Norman’s payback

Fullback Corey Norman will be out to record his win first win in Dragons colours over his old side on Sunday.

Norman's first endeavour against Parramatta for the Dragons proved a miserable experience. With one try assist and one line break to his name early in the second half, a late hit from Eels winger Maika Sivo ruled him out for the rest of match and the following four weeks.

Still yet to claim the bragging rights over his old club and with a score to settle, Norman is one to watch as he fights to keep the Dragons' season alive.

Back at Kogarah

Over 100 days have passed since the last time the Dragons took the field at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium. You need to go back to Round 5 for their last outing, and thankfully the memory is pleasant for Red V fans.

The Dragons recorded their third straight win with a comprehensive 40-4 thrashing of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in front of 13,000 faithful Dragons supporters. Don’t miss out on your chance to witness a Dragons win at this Sunday’s match. Get your tickets here.

It will also be the first time the Dragons play with the newly unveiled Reg Gasnier sculpture outside the stadium. Wait and see if Reg's presence inspires the Dragons to an important victory.

Big Jerry’s swansong

The goat Jeremy Latimore announced his retirement from the NRL on Monday bringing an end to his illustrious 11-year career.

Five clubs and 170-plus NRL games later, Latimore has proved popular with fans along the way for his charismatic personality.

Jerry has battled a knee problem this season which have hindered his time on the field. But with an end point in sight, Latimore has vowed to give everything he has for the Dragons' finish to the season.

Keep an eye on Latimore on Sunday as his time in the NRL draws to a close.

Latimore reflects on journeyman career

Parra's big quinella

With four wins from their last five games, the Eels gain two big boosts this week with Shaun Lane and Michael Jennings returning to the squad.

Standing at 198 centimetres tall, Lane will need to get accustomed to the fact he won't be the tallest on the field given rookie Dragons winger Jason Saab's second outing in the NRL.

Jennings also adds plenty of experience to a Parramatta backline missing New South Wales Origin winger Blake Ferguson.

The Dragons starting line up remains unchanged from last week, with Josh Kerr and Matt Dufty being replaced on the bench by Patrick Kaufusi and Latimore.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/01/five-things-round-20-v-eels/

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg-2gp_5262.jpg

DRAGONS

Full-strength Dragons refuse to look beyond Eels clash
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 1 Aug 2019, 06:03 PM
walterbrad-head.png

For the first time this season Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been able to select his strongest possible team but his players are refusing to consider the slim possibility that they could still sneak into the finals.

With Jeremy Latimore recovering from a knee problem just a week after Gareth Widdop and Zac Lomax returned from long-term injuries and James Graham back for the previous weekend, the Dragons are finally at full strength for Sunday’s home match against Parramatta.

However, last Friday night’s heartbreaking 20-16 loss to South Sydney was probably the final blow to St George Illawarra’s play-off hopes and players insist they are just focused on beating the Eels.

With 25 or 26 points expected to be enough for a top-eight berth, the Dragons remain a mathematical chance if they win their remaining six games but prop Paul Vaughan said the team was refusing to look further than their next game.

“I think we just need to back up that game on the weekend,” Vaughan said. “It has been really frustrating to be where we are at the moment so it was good to be able to compete with a top-four team like Souths.

“It was a little bit heartbreaking when all the boys put in like that and you have the game stolen away at the end but at the same time there were some positives.

Dragons v Eels - Round 20

"All you really ask when you are playing footy is for everyone to work for each other and that is what we want to do this weekend.”

The match was Widdop’s first since dislocating his shoulder in the round three defeat of Brisbane and before that McGregor was without the services of forwards Korbin Sims (suspension) and Tyson Frizell (ruptured testicle).

Graham (broken leg), Lomax (broken thumb), Sims (broken arm), five-eighth Corey Norman (fractured cheekbone) and centre Tim Lafai (ankle) have all had long stints on the sideline this season, while the Dragons had five players involved in State of Origin.

Only lock Jack de Belin, who has not played all season due to the NRL’s “no fault stand-down policy”, remains unavailable for selection.

Lomax said the last-gasp loss to the second-placed Rabbitohs was an indication of what the Dragons could have achieved had they been able to remain at full strength.

“Mary actually told us that last week was the first week he was able to pick whatever team he wanted for the whole year, so to lose in the last 15 or 20 seconds to a team who are running second is a confidence boost,” Lomax said.

Dragons effort won't fade

St George Illawarra players won’t concede that their season is over but publicly they are no longer talking about the finals.

“It’s going to be pretty tough but if we start focusing on those games in a couple of weeks it is not going to do us any good so I think getting that tunnel vision for this week’s game against Parramatta is good for us,” second-rower Tariq Sims said.

“I thought last week was a step in the right direction I think if we play to our potential we can go a long way.”

The return of Widdop has given the squad a huge confidence boost and they want to finish the season as strongly as possible before he leaves to finish his career with Warrington in Super League.

Widdop appeared set to enjoy a fairytale return after kicking a penalty goal from the sideline to give the Dragons a 16-14 lead with less than two minutes remaining but Rabbitohs winger Campbell Graham scored as the full-time siren sounded.

“Gazza thrives under pressure and everyone knows what he can do,” Lomax said. “He plays for his country, he has won grand finals and he has played with the best players in the world.

“He is an outside back, as I am, he is a goalkicker, as I am, so he has given me heaps of tips. He has taken me under his wing since I have come into first grade."

Dragons v Eels
What will be the result in their round 20 clash?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/01/full-strength-dragons-refuse-to-look-beyond-eels-clash/

getsmarty

Immortal
Teenage sensation Jason Saab the silver lining to another gloomy season for the Dragons
ABC Illawarra
By Timothy Fernandez
Posted Wed at 1:13pm

Photo: Is 18-year-old Dragons player Jason Saab a sign of better times ahead? His club hopes so. (ABC Illawarra: Tim Fernandez)
St George Illawarra's season is all but over with six games still to play, and the Dragons have once again struggled in the business end of the season with dramas both on and off the field.

Key points:
  • The Dragons' season is as good as done, but their latest loss featured a scintillating debut from Jason Saab
  • The 18-year-old winger has been praised by the coach and captain for his maturity and potential
  • The team, about to to lose its international captain, has denied that Jack de Belin's presence is unsettling

The Dragons' defeat to the South Sydney Rabbitohs last Friday was the team's tenth loss in 12 games and puts the side closer to the wooden spoon than the top eight.

But as the team begins taking stock of where it all went wrong, 18-year-old winger Jason Saab, who crossed for two tries on debut, may be a sign of better times ahead.

The teenager's NRL career has begun with a bang, but he admits it could have died with a whimper.

"I came from a high school where footy is what we do," Saab said.

"Other people were making teams and I wasn't, so I thought I wasn't good enough."

The former Merrylands junior player grew up in Paramatta and always dreamed of being a professional rugby league player.

But when he failed to attract interest while trialling for Paramatta and Balmain's development squads, he came close to throwing in the towel.

"I wasn't really cracking it, [but] I made the train on squad for Balmain.

"I made the first cut then we played the second game and I was cut.

"I was gutted.

"I definitely had doubts and I thought I should give up because I'm not going to make it, but I hung in there."

The teenager was eventually given his chance after a successful trial with the Dragon's SG Ball side last year.

In the space of a year the young winger grew 5 centimetres to his current height of 199cm and caught the eye of coach Paul McGregor who promoted him from the development squad.

Growth to come
It is not just Saab's physical stature that's impressed McGregor — the coach is has also praised his attitude and maturity.

"He earnt the right to play through his efforts in the lower grades," McGregor said after Friday's match.

"He's a young kid with a bright future.

"Over time he's going to fill out, he's probably going to end up being around 110 kilos."

Photo: McGregor and Widdop. (AAP: Craig Golding)

The sentiments were also echoed by skipper Gareth Widdop who said he has all the qualities of a future star.

"The best thing about Jason is despite scoring two tries on debut the loss still hurts him which is pleasing," Widdop said.

"It's not about the individual it's about the team."

Saab said he is keen to repay McGregor's faith.

"He definitely wants me at the club long term," Saab said.

"We've spoken about developing as a player and having a big future.

"I'm sure he does want to see me in first grade because that's where he's put me."

Questions around Paul McGregor's future
Dragons Chief Executive Brian Johnston extended McGregor's contract in April to keep him at the club until 2021.

The Dragons boss hailed his credentials as one of the best man managers in the game.

But it is hard to overlook the Dragons' habit, in recent years, of fading during the second half of the season under McGregor's watch.

The Dragons CEO has since failed to guarantee the team will start next season with McGregor as head coach but admits that sacking McGregor will not fix the side's problems.

Meanwhile the playing group has been steadfast in their support of McGregor, claiming the responsibility for their string of poor results belongs exclusively to the players.

Players deny de Belin divide, Widdop set to exit
The club has also been dealing with the star Jack de Belin's ongoing court case.

Last week the 28-year-old was committed to stand trial for five charges of aggravated sexual assault.

Photo: Jack de Belin attending the Federal Court in April in his first challenge to the ARL's 'no fault' stand down policy. (ABC News: Jamie McKinnell)

De Belin was first charged in February and stood down on full pay under a new no-fault policy, before challenging it in a landmark case in the Federal Court of Australia.

The players have denied reports that de Belin's presence on the training ground is impacting their performances.

The importance of Dragons captain Gareth Widdop to the team's morale was clear for all to see in his first game back from an 18-week layoff with a shoulder injury.

The English international lead by example, managing four conversions, including a clutch kick from the sideline that handed the Dragon the lead with two minutes to play.

But the club captain's NRL homecoming was bittersweet — the Englishman is set to return to the UK at the end of the season.

Photo: Widdop is due to head home after a season marred by injury. (AAP: Robb Cox)

"It's been a very tough year for the team knowing that I'm injured and moving on at the end of the year," the 30-year-old said.

"It's a team sport — we win, we lose together, we ride the rough times and the high times."

He says with the finals now a distant dream he now just wants to enjoy his remaining time with his team mates.

"I just want to see what I can contribute in the next couple of weeks and make sure that I'm leading the boys and hopefully we can finish off strong," Widdop said.

"We're not going to roll over and die wondering here."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07...agons-gloomy-season-draws-to-a-close/11366632

getsmarty

Immortal
dufty.jpg

DRAGONS

Throwback Thursday: Round 20 v Eels
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 1 Aug 2019, 09:44 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons come up against a confident Parramatta outfit on Sunday. As always, we take a look through the history books at some of the Dragons' best performances against the Eels.

St George Illawarra Dragons 20 defeated Parramatta Eels 18
Round 16. Thursday, June 28, 2018
WIN Stadium

In our most recent victory against Parramatta, the Dragons staged a great escape to trump the Eels.

Coming up against the last-placed Eels while sitting in first place themselves, the Dragons were almost on the receiving end of a monumental upset if it wasn’t for a last gasp try from Matt Dufty.

With four minutes remaining and with the ball frantically thrown around on the last tackle, Gareth Widdop put a kick through the line for Matt Dufty whose blistering speed was too much for the tired Eels defence.

The Dragons scored two tries in three minutes to snatch a 20-18 win despite a big representative toll hanging over their performance.

St George Illawarra Dragons 30 defeated Parramatta Eels 0
Round 12. Friday, May 28, 2010
WIN Jubilee Stadium

An unstoppable Dragons outfit rolled over the top of the Eels in this one-sided clash in front of 15,000 fans at Kogarah.

After a last-start loss to the Canberra Raiders slowed the Dragons' successful start to the 2010 season, Ben Hornby and Jamie Soward inspired the Dragons to a six try to none win.

Both Hornby and Soward crossed over for tries with Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale and Kyle Stanley also finding the white stripe.

Despite being renowned for their attacking flair, the Eels couldn't muster any points against a determined Dragons defence spurred on by the faithful Kogarah home crowd.

Watch former Dragon Ben Creagh lead the team song following this victory here!

"We're not going to die wondering" - Dragons ready for Eels clash

St George Illawarra Dragons 29 defeated Parramatta Eels 8
Round 26. Sunday, September 2nd, 2012
ANZ Stadium

The Dragons spoilt the party of retiring players Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt with a confident second half display. The win would spell the end of Hornby and Dean Young's illustrious NRL careers.

45,863 spectators turned out to watch the two Parramatta veterans for one last time, though the Dragons would run away with the result in the second half despite being down by two at the break

The Dragons' four second half tries blew out the score line – which could have been much worse if not for Soward's terrible goal kicking display on the night

The backs had a field day with Matt Cooper, Bronx Goodwin, Morris, Soward and Hornby all crossing over with Dan Hunt the only forward to find points.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/01/throwback-thursday-round-20-v-eels/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons not playing by the numbers
Dragons Den
r0_0_4358_3201_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUCH: "It's a bit heart-breaking when the boys put in like that and have the game stolen away at the end there." Paul Vaughan following Friday's loss to the Rabbitohs. Picture: NRL Photos
He makes no claim to being a good mathematician and Dragons prop Paul Vaughan hasn't gone reaching for the calculator to crunch the numbers when it comes to the finals.

A heartbreaking one-point defeat to South Sydney just about put paid to their finals hopes, though those willing to create A Beautiful Mind-like equations can still find a way for the Dragons to get there.

Finishing on 26 points, possibly 25, may buy a side a finals pass. That's purely the numbers game, it says nothing about the form slump that's seen the Dragons win just two of their last 12 games.

On that score they'll need a miracle more than a calculator and Vaughan said turning that around remains the immediate priority with six games to play.

"I think we just need to worry about backing that game up on the weekend where we put in the effort and we're competing," Paul Vaughan said.

"All you really ask for when you play footy is that everyone's working for each other and trying to have your mates back. That's what we want to get back to this week.

"It's good that we can compete with a top four side like that and the effort was there. We could've won that game.

"It's a bit heart-breaking when the boys put in like that and have the game stolen away at the end there but we can take some positives out of it for this week."

The performance against Souths coincided with the return of Gareth Widdop and Zac Lomax from injury, leaving stood-down lock Jack de Belin the only player unavailable for this Sunday's clash with Parramatta at Kogarah.

Vaughan said it's a boost as his side looks for a strong finish to the year.

"At video this morning [McGregor] was saying that the weekend was the first time he's had all players available that he could pick apart from Jack [de Belin]," Vaughan said.

"The squad we have on paper's pretty special so, for me, it's a little bit frustrating where we are at the moment but we just need to put a solid 80 minutes together this weekend."

The Dragons led 14-6 at halftime the last time the two sides met in round eight, only to concede 26 points in the second half in a 32-18 loss that forced them out of the top eight.

They haven't returned, with that result one of a number they've come to rue as the season reaches its pointy end. Sunday offers a shot at revenge.

"That's one that got away," Vaughan said.

"The story of the year's been we've started really well, the first 40 in games has been great and in the second half we just can't hold it.

"That's where we've lost games, in the second half. That [round eight] game is one of those games that definitely went that way but we can't look too far back.

"Parra are a dangerous side, they generate a lot of second phase so it's going to be another tough one.

"We just want to back up what we did on the weekend with that effort and just start winning some games over the back end of the year."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6305768/dragons-not-playing-by-the-numbers/?cs=3713

thebigredv

First Grade
Love how all the journos enjoy reporting 'another season of doom and gloom' and yet in the same sentence skirt around the issue that is the coach, or even defend him. The players picked are determined by the coach. They are either developed or go backwards under coaching. Wayne Bennett wouldn't persevere with a good third of the current squad. It is stupid to put the blame on players and be a scapegoat for the man they aren't performing for.

Mary is the common element in all this gloom. Yes, he coached us the odd final yet has failed to deliver and always had us looking frail or misdirected. Yet it is a final in 2015 or something and another last year that positions him as infallible in their eyes.

We have been the greatest failure under him. The stats don't lie. They are cringeworthy. These journos, across the board, just can't seem to find the gonads to report it like it is and put the necessary pressure on him.

I am literally at my wit's end. I am moving past anger into apathy very quickly, and my care factor is plummeting towards zero. I didn't have hope for this season and have been completely vindicated. As for next year, it may spell the end for the most detested coach in NRL history but it will mean another 365 days wasted.

He. Must. Go. Now.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
As much as I dislike The Storm, their demolition of The Donkeys last night was a demonstration of how well coached and dedicated that team is....every player is fully committed to the task and game plan....after watching this game you can see why their 1st and we are 14th....we are not within a bulls roar of these professional outfits.....if we play 50% as well as Melbourne did we will be beat The Eels

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
As much as I dislike The Storm, their demolition of The Donkeys last night was a demonstration of how well coached and dedicated that team is....every play is fully committed to the task and game plan....after watching this game you can see why their 1st and we are 14th....we are not within a bulls roar of these professional outfits.....if we play 50% as well as Melbourne did we will be beat The Eels
Yeh but what does that say about a powerhouse that traditionally is the Broncos with favourable draws and prime time TV night playing games..j
ust like the Sharks all these home games played at the end of the season.
Its almost the clubs requested it that way.........wait there..... they can put requests in for when they are doing the draw...hmmmm
Dragons have do it the other way round..home games early when they can win some games to keep supporters coming back

BLM01

First Grade
what about the warriors efforts..imagine what this forum would be like if the Dragons dished that up.
Kearney is another one that has got to be under huge pressure and calls for his sacking
and Brian Smith went over there to help oversee the coaching and football department...Time is up for Smithy too!
It is all quiet here but Kearney was extended with a big deal early this year..another strange decision

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
what about the warriors efforts..imagine what this forum would be like if the Dragons dished that up.
Kearney is another one that has got to be under huge pressure and calls for his sacking
and Brian Smith went over there to help oversee the coaching and football department...Time is up for Smithy too!
It is all quiet here but Kearney was extended with a big deal early this year..another strange decision

Kearny & McGregor were good players but that gives them no right to be anything but an assistant, at best.

McGregor in particular peaked at being the waterboy. Everything since has been a bridge too far.

You either have it ..... or you don't.
You don't grow into being a great coach.
You have that extra bit of quality right from the start and its that quality that continues to shine.

These two lugs will never be a coach's clacka.

Kearny & McGregor were good players but that gives them no right to be anything but an assistant, at best.

McGregor in particular peaked at being the waterboy. Everything since has been a bridge too far.

You either have it ..... or you don't.
You don't grow into being a great coach.
You have that extra bit of quality right from the start and its that quality that continues to shine.

These two lugs will never be a coach's clacka.
The only glaring difference is that Kearny actually served an apprenticeship next to Bellamy and then went on to coach the NZ national side with some success.
His failure at Parramatta and now at the Warriors is comparable to McGregor but in terms of qualifications to coach FG, he is way ahead of our bloke.
Remember ( I say this while shaking my head in disbelief) that McGregor has never served an assistant's apprenticeship in the NRL with any FG coach.
His only qualifications are 3 coalfield premierships and 2 seasons coaching reserve grade - contesting and losing one semi final and finishing 10th in the other season.
How is that criteria good enough to appoint him as the St. George head coach?
He ain't got it
He never had it
and he won't ever get it.

Last edited: