What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V the lot that stole our song, & claimed it as their own (bulldogs)

TheFrog

Coach
That head slam was violent & would land you in court if done in public.
Cummins was about 2 feet away. It was in the 58th minute if anyone wants to look at it. Hoppa resents Edwards' tackle after he'd passed to JFH. I think he'll get a contrary conduct charge.

Dave's mate

Juniors
We've got a habit of drastically overrating our players.

If not for the winning streak, which ended by playing a top side, we would be cellar dwellers.

Today proved we have not evolved as a football side. We don't grind, were not patient and we lack the unity of a proper football team.

With Maloney gone, we will lack any serious leadership in the halves. Our forward will be fine and we are likely to add to them but its the backline which has me worried. There's little to look forward to there.
So if we didn't win a heap of games we'd be last?...ok and Jimmy is one of the poorest leaders ive ever seen

Exsilium

First Grade
So if we didn't win a heap of games we'd be last?...ok and Jimmy is one of the poorest leaders ive ever seen

Not exactly my point. More so that we, as usual, lost to a top side. Ergo, our run was soft. As soon as the momentum stopped, we went back to our old ways.

Jimmy without the prodigal son running around was epic. With him being the "future" of penrith, its a struggle for anything to happen smoothly on the field.

forby

Juniors
The year is not yet over. Any one would think we were running dead last! We are outside the eight on F/A. Beat Cronulla next week and we are back in.
Sometimes the pessimism on this forum is ridiculous. There is a lot of inexperience in the team and sometimes they need a couple of games like the last two weeks as a reality check.
I am still confident that with a bit of luck they can get the 4 wins to make the 8 again!

kinghippo

Juniors
We've got a habit of drastically overrating our players.

If not for the winning streak, which ended by playing a top side, we would be cellar dwellers.

Today proved we have not evolved as a football side. We don't grind, were not patient and we lack the unity of a proper football team.

With Maloney gone, we will lack any serious leadership in the halves. Our forward will be fine and we are likely to add to them but its the backline which has me worried. There's little to look forward to there.
The backline is probably the worst in the comp apart from the titans. We got lucky with To’o but the rest is pedestrian at best. It not a surprise that our top try scorer for most of the season had been a forward.
We killed ourselves a few years ago when some hack journo said we were favourites and we decided to stop trying to upgrade the team. Whare, Mansour, Naden and Edwards ( he is playing very well defensively) wouldn’t get a run in any other team. We top it off by letting Moylan, Waqa and DWZ go as well as any promising looking junior ( Sivo, Burns and Jennings).
We have brought this mess on ourselves and unless the next batch come through from reserve grade very quickly we are done for a few more seasons at least.
The performance tonight is exactly why we won’t attract a marquee player as well, even if we do have the cash.
My glass is very half empty tonight but the deficits have been obvious all year, everyone but the coach can see them.

franklin2323

Immortal
The backline is probably the worst in the comp apart from the titans. We got lucky with To’o but the rest is pedestrian at best. It not a surprise that our top try scorer for most of the season had been a forward.
We killed ourselves a few years ago when some hack journo said we were favourites and we decided to stop trying to upgrade the team. Whare, Mansour, Naden and Edwards ( he is playing very well defensively) wouldn’t get a run in any other team. We top it off by letting Moylan, Waqa and DWZ go as well as any promising looking junior ( Sivo, Burns and Jennings).
We have brought this mess on ourselves and unless the next batch come through from reserve grade very quickly we are done for a few more seasons at least.
The performance tonight is exactly why we won’t attract a marquee player as well, even if we do have the cash.
My glass is very half empty tonight but the deficits have been obvious all year, everyone but the coach can see them.

Gus too. He said it was a top 4 team hence why hook underperformed

kinghippo

Juniors
The year is not yet over. Any one would think we were running dead last! We are outside the eight on F/A. Beat Cronulla next week and we are back in.
Sometimes the pessimism on this forum is ridiculous. There is a lot of inexperience in the team and sometimes they need a couple of games like the last two weeks as a reality check.
I am still confident that with a bit of luck they can get the 4 wins to make the 8 again!
Your glass is half full and I think you’re optimism is great. I have a few to many empty glasses next to me, hopefully I can see some positives tomorrow :grinning:

Fangs

Coach
Your glass is half full and I think you’re optimism is great. I have a few to many empty glasses next to me, hopefully I can see some positives tomorrow :grinning:

Hit the piss mate. Only way to stay a Panthers fan, to forget nights like these.

Thank good for full strength.

Fangs

Coach

Not a crazy post by any means. We can still make the 8. No doubting that.

But I'm sure you can agree, we f**king suck. And if we win the the comp? We are the worst f**king winners in the entirety of time. You can't stink more than us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus too. He said it was a top 4 team hence why hook underperformed
Under a better coach it could have been. Shit coaches have had it pretty close to top 4.

The real issue is zero improvement since 2016. We finished that season on fire and never kicked on from it and you can count on one hand the number of performances that really compared to those. Our demolition of Bulldogs in week1 of finals was incredible... and sadly the last time our attack looked anything like that. Really mindblowing that we changed it up for 2017 and when that was failing still didnt go back to what worked.

age.s

First Grade
Yeah, have to say the commentating is often very bad with no attempt to explain baffling penalties etc. Too busy talking out of their arses & miss or choose not to comment on stuff we're witnessing in our lounge rooms.
That head slam was violent & would land you in court if done in public.

It was particularly bad today. Speed called the wrong player out at least 6 times.

And yeah, RL is a tough game and I don't mind a bit of grubiness but that move was really ordinary. It was so done because he's a little bitch who couldn't handle that he'd just made a stupid error too.

age.s

First Grade
Again look at who we beat on the run. 4 of the 7 were weakened teams the other 3 are bottom 4 teams. It inflated how bad we really are

Yeah but "if not for our massive winning streak we'd be last" is kind of silly reasoning. We're not last because we were good enough to beat (most of) the teams who are duking it out for the spoon. It's "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" kind of stuff.

We're about 7th - 12th this year. It's just how it is.

Call me pessimistic, but I genuinely think it might be better if we don’t make the 8. We aren’t going to have any impact on the finals, I think making it is papering over issues. It may have done so in past years too.

It’s not all bad, we’ve got a good foundation, but to make the step up to the top four we need more. Better coaching would help, but some of our key positions just aren’t good enough, along with a lack of penetration in the backs. I don’t want the club thinking we’re on the right track because we made the finals. Missing out might just see more reflection.

OldPanther

Coach
Lets not kid ourselves we have massive issues.We need more muscle and power and hole running ball playing edge rowers.I don't feel Yeo is much of a match winner either.whare and Mansour are a spent force.massive questions about edwards who just isn't a ball playing fullback.Kenny and Egan don't seem to have that dummy half smarts.Hopefully we make some astute purchases for next season and some good kids come thru the lower grades.Very very disappointed with what that reject Dwz did today when he was absolutely crap for us this year and most of last season.

Funny thing is Edwards threw all our best passes today lol.

lsta5838

Juniors

Yeah, I am happy to have a splutter now and hopefully start building for finals in a few weeks (but obviously we still need to be in a position to be in top 8). Though the Sharks 2016 team is much better than us, they lost to Raiders (who were up there on the ladder, similar to this year) then the following game got done by Dragons (who finished the season in 11th, but -197 F/A). We have shown we have it in us in patches, but just need to string 80 mins together of calm but crisp footy (ie not clunky and frantic, then get frustrated and give away idiotic penalties).

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah but "if not for our massive winning streak we'd be last" is kind of silly reasoning. We're not last because we were good enough to beat (most of) the teams who are duking it out for the spoon. It's "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" kind of stuff.

We're about 7th - 12th this year. It's just how it is.

We lost to the team running 16.

We lost to the team running 15.

Lost to what was effectively a NSW Cup Sharks team.

Marsters lands a conversion in Round 4 we lose.

Last in points scored. Conceded the most penalties. Missed the most tackles.

So it is more then just who we played in the winning run but we are closer to a spoon then a top 8 team.

It has been the case for a few seasons as shown with falling behind 14-0 so many times. Good thing is can't blame it all on hook... Whether Ivan can fix is the question

franklin2323

Immortal
Call me pessimistic, but I genuinely think it might be better if we don’t make the 8. We aren’t going to have any impact on the finals, I think making it is papering over issues. It may have done so in past years too.

It’s not all bad, we’ve got a good foundation, but to make the step up to the top four we need more. Better coaching would help, but some of our key positions just aren’t good enough, along with a lack of penetration in the backs. I don’t want the club thinking we’re on the right track because we made the finals. Missing out might just see more reflection.

I agree. Too easy to blame last few years on hook. Hopefully this poor year changes that