What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
There was a rumour doing the rounds a month or so a go that we were interested in a young kid who was under contract at either the Dragons or the knights. I put one and one together and came up with Lomax, but maybe it is Jesse.

Anyway would be a really handy signings as long as we still have some cap space to buy a good forward

Shredder

Juniors
He would be a great buy.

But hes just one player and not going to be the panacea for this club.

The hodge podge of adding a single player or even two each year isnt what we need.

If he is a damaging centre, which he, is we also need a winger who can support with some speed.

Hes a $300k player tops and Im not sure we have that space.

Even if we medically retire Mats, that takes ages. It took Parramatta nearly a year to medically retire Watmough.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
He would be a great buy.

The hodge podge of adding a single player or even two each year isnt what we need.

If he is a damaging centre, which he, is we also need a winger who can support with some speed.

Even if we medically retire Mats, that takes ages. It took Parramatta nearly a year to medically retire Watmough.
Knights don't have a 5/8 at the moment, we have one sitting in Canterbury Cup.

Just saying...... ;)

Pezz70

Juniors
He would be a great buy.

Nah much quicker nowadays, Watmough was a test case, they’ve got it down pat now. Aside from the fact that we’ve still got a couple of months before the transfer window opens back up.

Pezz70

Juniors
I’d be weary of Ramien, don’t doubt his talent but his situation reminds me a lot of another islander kid that we had massive raps and big dollars on. There’ll be someone out there ready to give him 600k

BrotherJim05

Bench
Ramien on a two year deal would be quality. Madge could whip him into shape and if he f**ks around then he'd be easy to move on.

Over the next two seasons I imagine we will offload Matulino, Packer, Reynolds, E. Taylor, Mcqueen, Farah (Retirement), Benji (Retirement) and probably a couple of others. Some of these would be partial payments but still decent money to spend.

From the rumours I'm hearing we are looking at AJ Brimson, Arrow, Esese, Ramien and imagine others. I'd go after Lowe as well. Always rated him.

1. Thompson
2. Nofa
3. Ramien*
4. Mbye
5. Talau (blood him ASAP!)
6. Brimson*
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Liddle
10. Esese*
11. Lowe*
12. Matterson
13. Arrow*

14. Aloai
15. Mikale
16. Eisenhuth/Clark
17. MCK/Lawrence/Garner/Stimpkson

Last edited:

gordynz

Juniors
I’d be weary of Ramien, don’t doubt his talent but his situation reminds me a lot of another islander kid that we had massive raps and big dollars on. There’ll be someone out there ready to give him 600k

He is nothing like Suli... Please dont compare the two. The Sharks had nothing but good things to say about Ramien, he was their first choice right centre the whole year and played near on the whole season. When he signed a two year deal with the Knights he was still relatively new to FG and the Sharks didn't want to match the offer for a player who'd only notched up a dozen games.

He goes to the Knights and has not gotten any quality ball from Pearce the whole year! They play predominantly down their left side with Ponga and Fitzgibbon so Ramien has seen nothing. Somewhere along the way Ramien has obviously voiced his issues with how the teams playing, saying he wants more ball and wants it early etc, he's fallen out with Nathan Brown and now he's one of the scapegoats for their poor form.

Pezz70

Juniors
He is nothing like Suli... Please dont compare the two. The Sharks had nothing but good things to say about Ramien, he was their first choice right centre the whole year and played near on the whole season. When he signed a two year deal with the Knights he was still relatively new to FG and the Sharks didn't want to match the offer for a player who'd only notched up a dozen games.

He goes to the Knights and has not gotten any quality ball from Pearce the whole year! They play predominantly down their left side with Ponga and Fitzgibbon so Ramien has seen nothing. Somewhere along the way Ramien has obviously voiced his issues with how the teams playing, saying he wants more ball and wants it early etc, he's fallen out with Nathan Brown and now he's one of the scapegoats for their poor form.

He wants to be a professional he has to cop what comes, make his statements on the field not sook in the dressing room. I don’t doubt his ability I doubt his mental toughness and durability. Like a lot young players today they don’t realise the privilege they have playing NRL, too much money to little work=poor attitude.

You’d take him but Wouldn’t be paying overs for him that’s for sure

BrotherJim05

Bench
He wants to be a professional he has to cop what comes, make his statements on the field not sook in the dressing room. I don’t doubt his ability I doubt his mental toughness and durability. Like a lot young players today they don’t realise the privilege they have playing NRL, too much money to little work=poor attitude.

You’d take him but Wouldn’t be paying overs for him that’s for sure

I get what you are saying but the other side is that to stay in the NRL you need to be consistently playing well. If you are stuck in a side that isn't allowing you to show what you've got then it's not hard to quickly regress in form.

Pezz70

Juniors
I get what you are saying but the other side is that to stay in the NRL you need to be consistently playing well. If you are stuck in a side that isn't allowing you to show what you've got then it's not hard to quickly regress in form.

It sounds like I’m bagging him, not really I just think the kid needs to grow up, he’s obviously chucked a massive tantrum and Brown has said I don’t care how good your are piss off.... could go two ways for Brown, back in the old days the team would take notice and heed the message that no one is bigger than the team ( a great message if it comes off) but more like they take the modern approach and the whole team has a sook and Brown is gone in six weeks. The 1st approach is the way to a winning culture, the second is the way to a team full of under achieving Prima donnas

gordynz

Juniors
It sounds like I’m bagging him, not really I just think the kid needs to grow up, he’s obviously chucked a massive tantrum and Brown has said I don’t care how good your are piss off.... could go two ways for Brown, back in the old days the team would take notice and heed the message that no one is bigger than the team ( a great message if it comes off) but more like they take the modern approach and the whole team has a sook and Brown is gone in six weeks. The 1st approach is the way to a winning culture, the second is the way to a team full of under achieving Prima donnas

You are assuming hes thrown a tantrum but what if it was mutual and both parties wanted it. Apparently he simply hasn't settled in since moving to Newcastle..

Vic Mackey

Referee
No one really knows what happened with Brown and Ramien. There’s a rumour going round now that after our game Brown blasted him in front of the playing group saying ‘you’re on $350k a year and aren’t earning it.’

Either way both our centers have stepped up latley. Might be worth waiting for a gun winger or fullback, I’m still not convinced Thompson is the solution for 1

Tigerm

First Grade
No one really knows what happened with Brown and Ramien. There’s a rumour going round now that after our game Brown blasted him in front of the playing group saying ‘you’re on $350k a year and aren’t earning it.’

Either way both our centers have stepped up latley. Might be worth waiting for a gun winger or fullback, I’m still not convinced Thompson is the solution for 1
He'd lose his voice here then with our non starting salary cap eaters:)

I'd like to find another JAC as well, I think Thompson is doing OK, if he could put a speed on would be good, but his standing in front of Taumalolo on the rampage was inspiring.

This has got nothing to do with any of this, but I remember (a long time ago) when the French had decent national teams and they had a gun fullback named Puig Albert (excuse spelling), he could kick goals from anywhere, it was rumoured from memory that he kicked one from the tryline (180 deg), but he wouldn't tackle and his defence was if the players can't stop the runner why should I.

Fordy20

Juniors

I was kinda hoping that Papenhuyzen would get stuck behind Hughes and Drinkwater and we'd be able to get him back, but Drinkwater had to go and get injured and then he got stuck and moved on to the Cowboys.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
On the commentary today in the Dragons v Eels match Rabs said something about a Fiji side coming into the NSW reserve grade competition (Canterbury Cup) and 'will be a feeder club for Wests Tigers'.

Anyone heard anything more on this? Sounds exciting.

I agree Vic - hes earned his place in the team, but it may not be at 1.

I really like Thompson and his effort, but we should be really ensuring that our recruitment should put us in a position where Thompson will be finishing his contract playing reserve grade.

I was kinda hoping that Papenhuyzen would get stuck behind Hughes and Drinkwater and we'd be able to get him back, but Drinkwater had to go and get injured and then he got stuck and moved on to the Cowboys.

There's still three blokes fighting for the 7 and 1 at Melbourne. Brodie Croft is among them as well. Someone will miss out.