What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Fangs

Coach
Hoping for a bit of banter. Ivan deserves criticism but so does Kent. He embarrassed himself last week.

Should be a fun contest. Better than the Dogs game.

BxTom

Bench
I mentioned on this forum a few times that Gus had nothing to do with bringing Ivan Cleary back. This was confirmed by Ivan tonight. The decision was Dave O'Neill's. Gus never wanted Ivan back.
Gus made mistakes, everyone does. But none of his mistakes were THIS monumental.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Gus made mistakes, everyone does. But none of his mistakes were THIS monumental.

I just think it was unfair that Gus took the blame publicly for this apparent approached to Ivan when he had a contract with the Tigers. All of this while the actual culprit O'Neill hid in the background.

Gus never wanted Ivan back. He saw how he was ruining the development of kids last time and didn't want that anywhere near the club again.

I just think it was unfair that Gus took the blame publicly for this apparent approached to Ivan when he had a contract with the Tigers. All of this while the actual culprit O'Neill hid in the background.

Gus never wanted Ivan back. He saw how he was ruining the development of kids last time and didn't want that anywhere near the club again.

Sincere question. How was Cleary ruining the development of kids last time?

Pomoz

Bench
I mentioned on this forum a few times that Gus had nothing to do with bringing Ivan Cleary back. This was confirmed by Ivan tonight. The decision was Dave O'Neill's. Gus never wanted Ivan back.
I already thought Gus was smart, his IQ has just gone up a few notches in my estimation.

Pomoz

Bench
Cleary also blamed our roster for the season we’ve had, and specifically said “it’s not my roster”

Yet Hook did ok with it.
Really? I didn't see the interview. What a 24 carat, spineless muppet. That'll do me, a coach who doesn't hold himself accountable, can't coach attack and thinks Yeo in the centres is a good idea and dummy halves shouldn't run.

Really? I didn't see the interview. What a 24 carat, spineless muppet. That'll do me, a coach who doesn't hold himself accountable, can't coach attack and thinks Yeo in the centres is a good idea and dummy halves shouldn't run.

You can see a bit of his answer here, but not the whole thing

Pomoz

Bench
Gus was becoming very concerned on how they were training. He felt Ivan was not tough enough on the players and the young ones weren't being coached properly.
That is exactly how they started the season. Unfit and soft.

Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson are hard bastards. You need to be, to be successful. Accepting second best doesn't work, players have to be driven hard to help them be the best they can be. Being a good bloke just doesn't cut it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cleary also blamed our roster for the season we’ve had, and specifically said “it’s not my roster”

Yet Hook did ok with it.
To kick off 2018 Hook had Peter Wallace, Tyrone Peachey, Corey Harawira-Naera and Trent Merrin available. Ontop of them he had Tyrone May become available through the year.

Our roster has gotten consistently weaker each season since 2016. 2016 was our peak roster with best depth. Losing experienced star after star and very rarely replacing them with experience rather than developing new guys ever since.

Ivan can go eat a dick. But the roster Ivan had day one is very different from the one Hook had day one and our 2018 vs 2019 roster was pretty different even before Ivan decided to weaken it further.