What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Sunday 11th August 4:05pm @Central Coast Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Well, what a massive week for our club. There is no bigger test then the Storm at the moment and this game is going to show us where we're at. If we are serious about contending for the Premiership this year, we need to put in a good performance on Sunday, a much better performance then what we have been showing lately. Being realistic, I'm not expecting to beat the Storm. However, we need to go with them and really stand up and challenge them, make a bit of a statement to show we're still here. That's not gonna be easy at all. In fact, this is the toughest game of the year so far without a doubt and it's going to take such a massive effort to turn last week around.

The boys haven't seemed to be able to get out of second gear since Origin started and that seriously needs to change this week or we will be left behind. I'm excited though, this is a massive challenge and it's gonna take all our might to go with them, it's gonna take everything!! I know the boys have it in them to do it, we've seen it already this year but the thing is, a really solid performance hasn't come in a while. That really needs to change this week against the Storm!!!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Melbourne have been pretty impressive so far this year. 3 losses by a total of 4 points, 2 of the losses coming after 80 minutes.

I mentioned it in the Sharks thread but Souths are 3-5 since Origin began and have the worst points difference in the top 4 by at least 60 points. Top 4 status is being held together by the soft draw we had up to Origin and if Souths are to remain in there, a performance this week is a must.

Best case scenario - the loss to Cronulla is the kick up the arse the side needed and they click into gear.

Worst case - we concede 50+ and it's season over.

Like Callmack, i care more about the performance the team puts in than the result... mainly because i don't actually look forward to the result.

handyman2190

Bench
Melbourne have been pretty impressive so far this year. 3 losses by a total of 4 points, 2 of the losses coming after 80 minutes.

I mentioned it in the Sharks thread but Souths are 3-5 since Origin began and have the worst points difference in the top 4 by at least 60 points. Top 4 status is being held together by the soft draw we had up to Origin and if Souths are to remain in there, a performance this week is a must.

Best case scenario - the loss to Cronulla is the kick up the arse the side needed and they click into gear.

Like Callmack, i care more about the performance the team puts in than the result... mainly because i don't actually look forward to the result.
Havent beaten sharks at home for 9 years was it?
Well our record against the storm is worse, ill be hailing mary all day sunday.

callmack1

Staff member

I hope that the loss last week sparks us up and puts a rocket under the boys' arses!! Geez we really need a response this week!!

On another note,

Judiciary Update Round 21 - Sam Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/04/sam-burgess-judiciary-update/

Do we think Sam will get off? He's fighting the charge. I think he should (in my opinion it should have been a grade 1 in the first friggin place) but I can't see him getting off because we know what the NRL is like, he has a bad history at the judiciary.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
My predicted Line Up for this week,

1. Doueihi
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. T.Burgess
11. Sutton
12. S.Burgess (C)
13. Murray

14. Su'A
15. Lowe
16. Nicholls
17. Knight

I don't think Wayne will make too many changes after last week's bad performance, he'll just put a rocket up the boys arses this week I hope. However, I do think Su'a needs to be in the seventeen somewhere and Turner will probably be the one to make way for him.

Obviously Sam might not be there depending on the results of his judiciary hearing tonight but he will do doubt be named. If he is suspended for this one, Lowe moves onto that left edge and Turner comes into the side on the bench I believe.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
I think there's a tough decision looming over the back row. Ethan Lowe has proved himself a SOO quality 80-minute player and I think he has to be in the starting lineup. That means either Sam goes to the front row or Sutton goes to the bench. I like Sam on the edge so I think Sutton to the bench is the best option. Thoughts?

callmack1

Staff member
Retro Round - Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles - Grand Final, 1970: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/07/retro-round-rabbitohs-v-sea-eagles---grand-final-1970/

Why Bennett’s belief in Burns helped him succeed: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/07/why-bennetts-belief-in-burns-helped-him-succeed/

Rabbitohs Insider Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/07/rabbitohs-insider-round-21/

What an episode! That feature piece at the end about 1999 and our fightback was simply outstanding, made me tear up a little to be honest. I perfectly sets the tone for the theme of this week too - defiance. We defied the NRL in the fight of our lives all those years ago. We never laid down, never accepted defeat and now this week, there's a sense of defiance too. We fought for justice against the NRL for Sam and his charge and then we're looking to defy the Storm, the NRL's favourite, the competiton favourites, and hopefully show that we are a force and we're here to give this Premiership one hell of a shake!!! Again, we must give it our all and fight with every last breath!!

Defiance - That's the South Sydney way.

Pommy

Coach
I have 5 members tickets booked for Gosford. Does the club still do buy backs?

Why wouldn’t you go? Best game of the year going to Gosford and not sitting in an empty ANZ.
I would be going myself but it’s not so long until there will be another Bunny in this burrow and I can’t justify going so far.

Travitoh

First Grade
Why wouldn’t you go? Best game of the year going to Gosford and not sitting in an empty ANZ.
I would be going myself but it’s not so long until there will be another Bunny in this burrow and I can’t justify going so far.

Congratulations!

English Rose

Juniors
Storm are the worse team for niggling tactics. Let’s hope Sam keeps his cool and channels his aggression in the right way and not take someone’s head off (Unless it’s Will Chambers)

Travitoh

First Grade
Papenhuyzen, B. Smith and Hughes out for Melbourne. The two FB's could have an effect on them, puts a lot more importance on Munster's game tomorrow.

callmack1

Staff member
Coaches Media Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/10/wayne-bennett-media-round-21/

Bennett unfazed by absence of Burgess and Burns: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/10/bennett-unfazed-by-absence-of-burgess-and-burns/

Huge blow to lose both Sam and Burns, massive, that significantly weakens us in a game where we need to be at our strongest. The Storm have a few guys out too though so they aren't at full strength either thankfully.

Rabbitohs update 19-Man squad for Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/10/rabbitohs-update-19-man-squad-for-round-21/

So Turner comes into left centre which is a good call. His strong defensive game will help. Britt and Allan come into the side as replacements. Surely Wayne is playing some mind games there. Of course, Britt should be in the side but there is no way he should start in place of Lowe. Plus, I'm not sure why Allan would be on the bench, Su'A in is a no brainer! Surely Wayne is playing mind games!

Latest posts