What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

T-Boon

Coach
Watching the community shield in the uk recently, Man City wore a retro kit. Couldn't stop wondering how amazing it would be if jerseys had nothing other than the club logo on them. Boat has sailed long ago, but one can fantasize.

190804174922-city-community-shield-exlarge-169.jpg

Totally agree. They just look so much better.
The front of the jersey should be clean advertise on the back and the shorts or socks if you need cash.

Pommy

Coach
Watching the community shield in the uk recently, Man City wore a retro kit. Couldn't stop wondering how amazing it would be if jerseys had nothing other than the club logo on them. Boat has sailed long ago, but one can fantasize.

190804174922-city-community-shield-exlarge-169.jpg

All you need is the backing of a sovereign nation.

adamkungl

Immortal
It'd be nice if our clubs were rich enough to not have to flog their shirt as advertising space. But unless the NRL starts bringing in international TV deals in the hundreds of millions it'll never happen

VictoryFC

Bench
All you need is the backing of a sovereign nation.

It was a one off in fairness.

It'd be nice if our clubs were rich enough to not have to flog their shirt as advertising space. But unless the NRL starts bringing in international TV deals in the hundreds of millions it'll never happen

Even if that did happen, sponsors wouldnt go anywhere. It would just mean more exposure. and even more reason to advertise.

What I dont understand is why replica jerseys need logos. If players have to wear them, fans should have a choice when buying not to have sponsors on them.

unforgiven

Bench

Even if that did happen, sponsors wouldnt go anywhere. It would just mean more exposure. and even more reason to advertise.

What I dont understand is why replica jerseys need logos. If players have to wear them, fans should have a choice when buying not to have sponsors on them.
I would guess that is part of the sponsorship deals, but if I am wearing a billboard for some company it would be nice to be paying a little less than $170 for a jersey!

adamkungl

Immortal

Sponsors would have more incentive to advertise, but clubs wouldn't be relient on them, in theory.

But you're probably right. Everything would just get inflated and clubs would still be looking for the smallest financial edge over each other. How good would it be if NRL jerseys were clean like American Football shirts though.

Reflector

Juniors
Does anybody else remember RLW in the early 2000's had a segment titled 'They wore THAT?' and it listed RL fashion crimes such as Penrith choosing brown and white, or the Eels' M&M's jersey?

If they had that segment, there's be new nominations virtually every single month...

Pommy

Coach

A one off which was possible by the ownership model. If it was a normal sponsorship deal from say ford or Samsung there’s no way it would have happened.

They wouldn’t be much of a replica jersey without them. My nephew whinges that he can’t have them on his shirt as Newcastle is sponsored by a bookies.

T-Boon

Coach

Most of them are rich by way of the poker machines. The eels are a good example. The eels (better know as ALAND) have a big fat ad on their jersey that brings in about $1m not to the football club but to the poker machine club because ultimately it is $1m the pokie club doesnt give to the football club.
Bring in a cap on the amount clubs can spend on coaches and the like and clean up the jerseys so their is some club pride and dignity. If poker machine clubs dont want to fund the football clubs then get rid of the poker machine clubs.

gunpk

Juniors
Paddy Power is running a Save out shirt campaign in the UK where every team they sponsor they are "unsponsoring" and leaving it blank

T-Boon

Coach
How hard would it to be to bring in a rule that the jersey ad on the front of the jersey has to be smaller than the club badge?

carcharias

Immortal
Are there any other sports in the world that super impose portraits on their jerseys?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. These things are hideous and gaudy.

NFL do.
I’ve seen euro soccer too.

It looks shit and I’d never wear it but it has been done before

Obviously they don’t play in it.
It’s just a collectable.

First Grade

In line with supporters being able to choose, I went to the Cardiff workers club when I discharged from the Army in 1998, They wouldn't let me in because my Jersey had tooheys advertising on it

Reflector

Juniors
I'd like there to be regulations issued league-wide regarding major sponsorship placement. No sternum sponsors, one major front of jersey sponsor (integrated where the NRL deems possible), one sleeve sponsor, one lower back of jersey sponsor (with the maximum size regulated by the NRL). The upper back of jersey stays free for the player name.

They really need to tidy up the branding, because it's increasingly hard to tell the difference between a professional NRL teams' jersey and the jumper of a bush league team who plaster sponsors on at the last minute.

sempmrh

Juniors
I can't imagine a situation where NRL clubs will ever go backwards when it comes to the number of sponsor logos allowed, sizing, colours, etc. It just won't happen. Even if all clubs were in a position financially where they can get by just fine with less uniform sponsors, they're not going to turn down more money - and if the NRL tried to impose restrictions, I'm sure the clubs would kick up a fuss. The only spot I can ever see going away is below the collar, simply because that position has seemed to be a revolving door for most clubs over the years. It seems like companies don't really value that position very highly.

When it comes to jerseys sold at retail, I could definitely see a market for a sponsorless category - but it really couldn't be identical to the on-field version. The two Origin teams have cotton versions of the on-field jerseys with proper, traditional collars and in the case of the NSW one, it's without the big Brydens Lawyers logo. The designs aren't exact copies of the on-field jersey but it's more of a fashion, lifestyle shirt. You could sell something like that for each club in addition to a fully sponsored on-field replica.

Frailty

First Grade
Sponsors would have more incentive to advertise, but clubs wouldn't be relient on them, in theory.

But you're probably right. Everything would just get inflated and clubs would still be looking for the smallest financial edge over each other. How good would it be if NRL jerseys were clean like American Football shirts though.

Reality: Look at the Best & Less jersey!!! How pathetic.

adamkungl

Immortal
Reality: Look at the Best & Less jersey!!! How pathetic.

I think thats a matter of manufacturing quality.
And partially because NRL jersey designs have evolved over the decades to fit sponsors, leaving a lot of blank space.

Latest posts