What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

VictoryFC

Bench
How good would it be if NRL jerseys were clean like American Football shirts though.

It's a shame that NFL jerseys are a mess in their own way. I dislike their use of player numbering on the front as much as sponsors. And the shape of their jerseys make them impossible to wear casually and not look like a clown.

For mine, MLB jerseys are the best of the lot.

In an ideal world for me, small logos on the left side of the chest, no sponsors whatsoever, a number of the back but no name above it.

Pommy

Coach
there's so many sponsors on jerseys, so does that reduce the value of each sponsorship? like if the NRL restricted the number of sponsors on a jersey could the remaining sponsorship values rise to reflect the exclusivity?

Clubs already have the option to do that and don’t, you would have to guess the reason is because it’s less profitable.

VictoryFC

Bench
Who is going to pay for a sponsorship logo that small?

I'm sure people can bring up the example of the NBA, which has small sponsor logos, but it needs to be remember that a) the NBA is a global sports league with massive reach, so sponsors are happy to pay and b) the NBA may be doing that as a stepping stone to bigger logos down the line. Sponsorship in US on jerseys is taboo, and the fact that NBA has taken the plunge meant that it had to be subtle about it. But now that the doors are open, I fully expect much larger sponsor logos within 20 years.

sempmrh

Juniors
I'm sure people can bring up the example of the NBA, which has small sponsor logos, but it needs to be remember that a) the NBA is a global sports league with massive reach, so sponsors are happy to pay and b) the NBA may be doing that as a stepping stone to bigger logos down the line. Sponsorship in US on jerseys is taboo, and the fact that NBA has taken the plunge meant that it had to be subtle about it. But now that the doors are open, I fully expect much larger sponsor logos within 20 years.
Some teams push the boundaries in terms of size already - the Thunder and the Pacers come to mind.

I've lurked on the Chris Creamer's Sports Logos forums for years and it amuses me the way the American sports fans talk about sponsorship logos. I get where they're coming from - but have they even seen an Australian basketball jersey?

adamkungl

Immortal
I've noticed Americans on reddit, when they see clips of NRL, they are shocked by the amount of sponsorship all over the playing field. Seem to find it really garish and distracting. We're conditioned to it, it doesnt even register a thought in my head..

I'm like f**k mate your main sports have ad breaks after almost every play, a bit more disruptive than some graphics on the grass isn't it?

VictoryFC

Bench
I've noticed Americans on reddit, when they see clips of NRL, they are shocked by the amount of sponsorship all over the playing field. Seem to find it really garish and distracting. We're conditioned to it, it doesnt even register a thought in my head..

I'm like f**k mate your main sports have ad breaks after almost every play, a bit more disruptive than some graphics on the grass isn't it?

This is one I agree with the Yanks on.

They really are garish.

In fact, I don't even see much point in numbering the field (NFL is even more distracting with the amount of markings on the field and numbers).

This is what ever RL field should look like:

imagesource-1.jpeg

sempmrh

Juniors
So the jersey displays the club identity better. Currently the club badge is so small (especially compared to the ad) that you can’t even see the design. They use to be bigger.
Not really. The club logo is similarly sized to the NRL logo.

Reflector

Juniors
there's so many sponsors on jerseys, so does that reduce the value of each sponsorship? like if the NRL restricted the number of sponsors on a jersey could the remaining sponsorship values rise to reflect the exclusivity?

I reckon there's merit in this. Think back to the 90's- Manly were synonymous with Pepsi, Parramatta with Asics, the Dragons with Penfolds etc. Those sponsors got better value for their logo placement.

Having a revolving door of different sponsors scattered all over the jersey makes it harder for anybody bar the die-hard fans to develop an identity that connects the sponsors with the team they're paying for placement on. I bet you could easily name at least half the major sponsors of the 1995 teams, nearly 25 years on. But how easily can you think of the front/ back/ lower back jerseys for the teams going round in 2019, without having to Google it?

Frailty

First Grade
This is one I agree with the Yanks on.

They really are garish.

In fact, I don't even see much point in numbering the field (NFL is even more distracting with the amount of markings on the field and numbers).

This is what ever RL field should look like:

imagesource-1.jpeg

Aside from the Telstra premiership logo, that is exactly how the NRL field looks.

All the advertisements are now superimposed for the TV product.

VictoryFC

Bench
Aside from the Telstra premiership logo, that is exactly how the NRL field looks.

All the advertisements are now superimposed for the TV product.

I should have been clearer with my comments. I wasn't really concerned about people at the ground. I was talking about it from a TV experience.

sempmrh

Juniors
I reckon the lack of markings on the field in England would be because teams share grounds with soccer teams (?) - and you know how soccer gets with their fields. So they’d just paint on all the necessary markings and nothing else.

T-Boon

Coach
take the advertising off the front of jerseys and instead have the coaches down on the side line in outfits with the sponsors advertising all over it. Keep the playing jerseys clean.

Rooster8

Juniors
take the advertising off the front of jerseys and instead have the coaches down on the side line in outfits with the sponsors advertising all over it. Keep the playing jerseys clean.
Or potentially only having the retail jerseys, polos and training gear with sponsors. On-field jerseys either sponsor-less or 1 main.

Latest posts