What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

typicalfan

Coach
More to do with tacklers being given more time after call is held when they attempt a strip. It really slows down the play the ball.
Possibly but I don't see the problem. Id rather strips and a slower play the ball than a fast play the ball and no strips. People don't go to games to see fast play the balls or dummy half scoots.

Zadar

Juniors
Hodgsons second strip against the Tigers was a joke and should have been a penalty to Tigers ( I totally understand this is a "my team" whinge). The Tigers player was already on the ground, lying on the ground, Hodgson dives on him whilst he is on the ground. The moment a player is laid a hand on him while he is on the ground he is held. Hodgson goes the wrestle. Referee ACTUALLY calls HELD! Hodgson strips the ball, then Ref calls play on.

If you are allowed to strip the ball on the ground, then I see no reason why players don’t start passing the ball while on the ground with a defender on top.

firechild

First Grade
Possibly but I don't see the problem. Id rather strips and a slower play the ball than a fast play the ball and no strips. People don't go to games to see fast play the balls or dummy half scoots.
They do if the hooker is any good. Look at how many plays open up for Manly or Souffs off the back of dummy half runs.

Eion

First Grade
It’s shit. They either need to go back to pure 1 on 1 or modify the rule that a strip is not allowed if defenders intentionally drop off....but they’d no doubt cock that up too.

Back to 1 on 1 for me

T-Boon

Coach
It really says a lot about the NRL coaches that they would exploit what was a sensible rule change this grossly. The coaches have too much time on their hands and not enough things to do with it. They should have to do 40 hours worth of community service work each week. They also need some kind of code of ethics, bring in coaches challenge, time outs and other things that will take coaches a lot or time and effort to get on top of.

LineBall

Juniors
It really says a lot about the NRL coaches that they would exploit what was a sensible rule change this grossly. The coaches have too much time on their hands and not enough things to do with it. They should have to do 40 hours worth of community service work each week. They also need some kind of code of ethics, bring in coaches challenge, time outs and other things that will take coaches a lot or time and effort to get on top of.

Yeah, how dare those coaches actually follow the rules of the game and allow players to do what's written within the rules. Damn coaches.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah, how dare those coaches actually follow the rules of the game and allow players to do what's written within the rules. Damn coaches.

the NRL coaches should have respect for the game. I think in a number of areas over the last 20 years the culture within the coaching ranks has shown itself to be "win at all costs and to hell with the state we leave the game in". The coaching guild should be getting called out on that fact. Especially by referees. I think referees should be interviewed at the end of a game and should go to town on tactics employed by players and coaches. They should get really personal. Name names etc.

nick87

Coach
the NRL coaches should have respect for the game. I think in a number of areas over the last 20 years the culture within the coaching ranks has shown itself to be "win at all costs and to hell with the state we leave the game in". The coaching guild should be getting called out on that fact. Especially by referees. I think referees should be interviewed at the end of a game and should go to town on tactics employed by players and coaches. They should get really personal. Name names etc.

The games administration is to look after the state of the game, and make sure rules and policies implemented put the game in the right position and have it trending in the right way.

The coaches job is to win games. Simple.

LineBall

Juniors

Coaches have been pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with since Adam was a boy.

Others have the responsibility to reign them in if they feel it is getting out of hand.

T-Boon

Coach
I find it quite interesting that those who want the scrums to go back to being a real contest for the ball, have an issue with a rule that ensures a real contest for the ball.

Once there is a 3 on 1 in the wrestle the other members of the attacking team should be allowed to run into the ruck and join in.

T-Boon

Coach
The games administration is to look after the state of the game, and make sure rules and policies implemented put the game in the right position and have it trending in the right way.

The coaches job is to win games. Simple.

Okay well get the coaches/clubs out of the rules committee then. If it is acceptable for the coaches to be disrepectful to the spirit of the game then they should have nothing to do with the rules.
Additionally complicate the rules so that they are playing catch up (eg: going back to 5 metres) and dont have the time they currently have to put towards thinking up ways to breach the spirit of the game. Or make them do 40 hours worth of community service each week.

LineBall

Juniors
Okay well get the coaches/clubs out of the rules committee then. If it is acceptable for the coaches to be disrepectful to the spirit of the game then they should have nothing to do with the rules.
Additionally complicate the rules so that they are playing catch up (eg: going back to 5 metres) and dont have the time they currently have to put towards thinking up ways to breach the spirit of the game. Or make them do 40 hours worth of community service each week.

Fully agree.

LineBall

Juniors
I am shocked that there are that many Raiders fans...Mind you in the same survey 36% or people believe that Ray Warren is the best commentator, so there is that.

I was surprised that most people thought the amount of games in the year was fine. I thought for sure either fewer games, or more games would be the most popular - not the status quo.

Latest posts