What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 V Sharks

thanks mate, good fightback from you guys.

good to end the hoodoo finally.

next year we should rock
9. Cleary
6. Luai
7. Burton
14. Kenny?

I haven’t seen the game yet, but you think Burton looks like a 7? That goes against what I’ve been told about his game.

Kenny played 80 minutes. This was a first for him and would give him the confidence to do it on a regular basis. He never looked like being a weak link, and was giving good service from Fake. Why change him.

Kenny’s problem is he doesn’t have a running game, he’s all heart & leaves everything out there, though.

We could really do with more attacking options.

With Jimmy out of the way Nathan has a blinder and is motm. Yet the calls for him to move to 9 get even louder.....odd fanbase

Probably because of that first half try he set up. He’s a really strong runner of the ball, always has been. Watch the way he exploited those tired sharks forwards.

Saying that he’d be a better hooker isn’t the same as saying he’s a bad half, he’s got both in him. But I genuinely think he could be the no.1 hooker in the game.

Kilkenny

Coach
Kenny’s problem is he doesn’t have a running game, he’s all heart & leaves everything out there, though.

We could really do with more attacking options.

Mitch Kenny was outstanding tonight but we could have done with the fresh legs of Sione Katoa in that last 20.

We got away with the win but I repeat it could have been so much easier if Ivan had of made better use of his bench players.

maple_69

Bench
Kid looked classy as a 5/8 that’s for sure. 10/10 kicking game, some nice passes, game in defence but didn’t get much of a chance to show his running game. Nathan was at first receiver pretty much all night so hard to say how he’d go running the play. As with the Smith though if you send Cleary to hooker he’d be playing a hybrid role which massively takes the pressure off your halves.

Great to have options. I see both Burton and Luai pairing with Cleary a lot better than Maloney.

Other thoughts. Mansour was fantastic after two poor games. Fish was great but should have had a 10 min rest, same with Kenny. To’o is a beast, really great defensive winger also. Martin has come back swinging. Liking that we are starting to play around with Kikau a bit. We do over rely on him but there’s nothing wrong with using him to suck defenders to one part of the field, sit back on their heels or disorganise defensive lines to provide the halves with some opportunities to exploit.

Agree that the management of the bench almost cost us. I’d be fine with Luai giving Kenny a 15 min spell at the 55 mark and then staying on in a roving role pending how things are going. Kik and Fish should both get a breather.

Final two thoughts. Cleary was outstanding. Game up with the big plays and steered well. His 5/5 was the difference in the end. Kikau needs to play the god damn ball. Always plays for the penalty or just gets up slowly allowing the defence to reset after he’s just skittled them.

betcats

Referee
Been in Bali for a few weeks so haven’t seen the last few games but god it’s to see the kids continuing to stand up. Burton has a lot more to offer but he’s a 6 imo. Classy, level headed 6 with good speed and great all round skills and good vision. Every time I see him I’m more impressed, very nice try he setup, running wth the ball out in front and dropping it on the toe like that at speed on debut....I mean it’s one play but a very impressive one.

With Luai & Burton the club will have to decide sooner rather than later who to back for the 5/8 role. You just don’t get to hold on to talented young halves for long, look at the sharks losing Flanagan. One of the two won’t be here in 2021.

Just finished watching the replay, what I really take away from Nathan’s game is his running, always been his best attacking attribute. That’s how he was playing in 2017, which I think was his best season so far. He needs to continue to test the tired forwards in the middle of the field.

OldPanther

Coach
Kenny played 80 minutes. This was a first for him and would give him the confidence to do it on a regular basis. He never looked like being a weak link, and was giving good service from Fake. Why change him.

He had a the same thing that people accuse Egan of with the halves catching balls above their heads yet it goes unnoticed :thinking:

OldPanther

Coach
With Jimmy out of the way Nathan has a blinder and is motm. Yet the calls for him to move to 9 get even louder.....odd fanbase

This. Some of his touches in set plays were excellent. I was also surprised to see set plays so pretty happy. I noticed the backline moves look better with Kikau and Martin.

OldPanther

Coach
Probably because of that first half try he set up. He’s a really strong runner of the ball, always has been. Watch the way he exploited those tired sharks forwards.

Saying that he’d be a better hooker isn’t the same as saying he’s a bad half, he’s got both in him. But I genuinely think he could be the no.1 hooker in the game.

Everyone ignoring his excellent halfback play for the entire rest of the game though.

OldPanther

Coach
Been in Bali for a few weeks so haven’t seen the last few games but god it’s to see the kids continuing to stand up. Burton has a lot more to offer but he’s a 6 imo. Classy, level headed 6 with good speed and great all round skills and good vision. Every time I see him I’m more impressed, very nice try he setup, running wth the ball out in front and dropping it on the toe like that at speed on debut....I mean it’s one play but a very impressive one.

OMG it's Betcats:

giphy.gif

Everyone ignoring his excellent halfback play for the entire rest of the game though.

His two best plays were his running game. The first half try assist for Edwards & the try he scored himself. That’s the strongest part of his game.

Whatever position he plays he needs to do more of that.

OldPanther

Coach
His two best plays were his running game. The first half try assist for Edwards & the try he scored himself. That’s the strongest part of his game.

Whatever position he plays he needs to do more of that.

The pass on that backline sweep that looks like he has a slight delay almost like a DVD freezing for a second which seems to freak out the defence because they can't pick if the second rower or fullback will get it lead to Edwards second try and our first against Raiders. He does have an excellent passing game when utilised with proper set plays and straight runners like Martin.

Latest posts