What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors halfback Blake Green explodes: 'Why not just kick us out of comp?'

Iron Lion

Juniors
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=12257366&ref=twitter

Warriors halfback Blake Green admits that frustration got the better of him late in the second half of their win over Manly on Friday night, causing an out of character outburst about the officiating.

The Warriors confounded the odds to beat the Sea Eagles 24-16, with a first half display as good as anything they have produced this year.

They were in control at 18-0 with 15 minutes to play, before back rower Adam Blair was controversially sinbinned for a professional foul as Manly players chased an attacking grubber.

It was a dubious call – as Blair barely changed his running line but was deemed to have impeded Manase Fainu – and the bunker found a penalty, after numerous replays.

The on field microphones picked up Green, obviously disappointed at the bunker's call, say to referee Ben Cummins in exasperation: "All this bullshit they throw at us … [why not] just kick us out of the comp eh?".

Green was apologetic after the game, admitting it was the culmination of weeks of frustration.

"[It was the] heat of the battle," Green said. "We have copped a few of them this year, and I've been pretty quiet about it and I just wanted to let him know my thoughts."

"[It was a] bit of a pressure cooker, [we've] been under the pump, [we] copped a bit of a spray from everyone this week, we needed to respond. I just thought that was a big call in the game."

Green made no excuses for his remark, but ultimately remained confused by the decision.

"I probably said a few things I shouldn't have said to the referee," Green said. "But I didn't even think it was going to be a penalty, I honestly didn't."

"In the context of the game it turned out to be a pretty important one. I haven't had a chance to look at it again but on my first look it was touch and go. If that's 30 metres up the field and someone kicks the ball they say play on."

Coach Stephen Kearney was reluctant to discuss the officials yet again, but could empathise with his play maker after a series of bad calls stretching back weeks.

"I will have to talk to Blake about that one," Kearney said. "To be honest, it's been unprecedented in terms of what they had to endure leading into last week's game, post the Eels match, but I don't want to say any more on that."

On a specific level, Kearney was also bemused by the sinbinning decision.

"Off the back of the penalty count it was always going to be an issue but I didn't think it was a penalty," said Kearney. "He turns around to chase a kick and someone runs into the back of him. They looked long and hard to try and find it … and they did."

"It could have been really costly. I don't know where Adam is supposed to go. He is entitled to turn back and go for the ball himself. I don't know what he is supposed to do."

Kearney also questioned the use of frame by frame to analyse those kinds of incidents.

"When you slow it down to a millisecond, that's the problem," Kearney said. "It can make anything look different. The ref out on the field has got the best feel for the game, not someone sitting in a box."

With the Warriors down to 12 men, Manly rallied to score three tries in eight minutes, twice finding space on Blair's left edge.

But the Warriors regained their composure to see out the final five minutes, with Jazz Tevaga's 77th minute try from dummy half sealing the win.

"It was a really controlled game of footy, we did a good job defensively," Green reflected. "We were really tough and aggressive, flying out of the line and making good contact which we needed to do."

Green was thrilled with the response after last week's 46-12 defeat to the Raiders and their intensity was epitomised in the first 40 minutes, where they repelled numerous Manly raids, defying a huge deficit in possession and territory to hold the Sea Eagles scoreless.

"We felt really comfortable, our communication and talk was really good," Green said. "It helped with the conditions. They are a really good footy team and with it being so wet and slippery they couldn't get the ball out to the edges that fast which probably frustrated them a bit."

TheDMC

Bench
They aren't allowed to throw out conspiracy theories until you get the shot end of the stick in consecutive finals series :wink:

We aren't allowed to make the finals, that's how deep the conspiracy runs.

(nothing to do with how utter shite we are)

Burns

First Grade
Gee, lucky he wasn’t sent off to be honest. Comment isn’t too far from Talis calling Bill Harrigan cheat.

Diesel

Referee
Everyone knows the refs penalise their team more than other clubs but 90% of Warriors tries go to the Bunker.

Kiwis have been saying this for years, finally an Aussie says it and everyone notices.

Legion

Juniors
Normally I have no time for the whining & whinging 'everyone's out to get us' rants [NQ being the biggest offenders ..... until they actually won a GF] but gee, as much as I don't agree with an overseas side being in our competition, fairs fair.

The Warriors do get a lot of bad decisions and Blairs sin-binning was a shocker.
I've got quite a bit of respect for Kearney as a man and how he conducts himself. He's not the whining type and certainly has cause to complain.

Only seeing a replay of the incident and not seeing the game itself, I must ask; did Manly play poorly or was it just another example of the Warriors showing a rare glimpse of their potential?

mxlegend99

Referee
The Blair sin binning was pretty consistent with many other professional foul decisions this year. Nowhere near as bad as the reffing last week. Although I can understand them being fired upafter how badly they were robbed last week.

gerg

Juniors
Only seeing a replay of the incident and not seeing the game itself, I must ask; did Manly play poorly or was it just another example of the Warriors showing a rare glimpse of their potential?

A bit of both. Manly appeared to be going through the motions and Warriors played well.
In reality if the Warriors actually played like that every week they would probably be comfortably in the top 8.

flippikat

Bench
A bit of both. Manly appeared to be going through the motions and Warriors played well.
In reality if the Warriors actually played like that every week they would probably be comfortably in the top 8.

Yep. The squad that played last night should be kept for next week's game.

Reward success, build combinations, make the others bust their guts in reserves to get back in.

Leber

Bench
We always get the bad calls but then we effectively make the refs job easy, by playing like shit.

If a good team like melbourne, roosters, south etc, got the calls we did, this topic would have more traction.

It's hard to have a proper discussion about the incompetent refs (which they are) when the team its self is shit.

Exsilium

First Grade
If you've ever played a team sport, the referee/umpires are a significant influence over the flow of the game, your momentum and the moral of your team. Greens comments, IMO, are a response to the lack of consistency. We all see it but the players feel it.

This organisation lacks serious leadership and direction. Players don't know what to expect, the judiciary is a joke, referees are inconsistent and it's not surprising the players have thrown their hands up.

It speaks volumes of the game and its current position.

If you ignore the fact it came from the warriors and apply any team in the comp, you'd just about get the same result. Players, teams, coaches and fans have had their moments all season.

Game is proper f**ked under its current leadership and management.

mave

Coach
If you've ever played a team sport, the referee/umpires are a significant influence over the flow of the game, your momentum and the moral of your team. Greens comments, IMO, are a response to the lack of consistency. We all see it but the players feel it.

This organisation lacks serious leadership and direction. Players don't know what to expect, the judiciary is a joke, referees are inconsistent and it's not surprising the players have thrown their hands up.

It speaks volumes of the game and its current position.

If you ignore the fact it came from the warriors and apply any team in the comp, you'd just about get the same result. Players, teams, coaches and fans have had their moments all season.

Game is proper f**ked under its current leadership and management.

The top of the tree thinks that consistency is over-rated.
Nothing will change, until that thinking changes

Diesel

Referee

It speaks volumes of the game and its current position..
Oust Todd

The moment he became CEO the game starting going backwards

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have fans or players EVER been happy with refs? Seems the advent of tv covering everything in slo mo HD, Gobby tv mouth types and social media venting has made people forget that refs have always made mistakes, been accused of bias and “the worse ever”. I’m not saying they’re great now, just that they’ve never been great lol

Latest posts