What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens state of origin future

YoHadrian

Juniors
Heard on the radio that Nth Sydney Oval is going to lose it in favour of it being in Brisbane due to the ratings that they received on Nine.

Dakink

Bench
As long as the roads and exposure increase in comfortable with the game being in Brisbane.

stryker

First Grade
I wouldnt spend too much on this pocket of the game. The skill level is far behind state cup and even schoolboys grade. It is an exhibition game and should be a third curtain raiser for the men.

Dakink

Bench
I wouldnt spend too much on this pocket of the game. The skill level is far behind state cup and even schoolboys grade. It is an exhibition game and should be a third curtain raiser for the men.
You are an idiot sir...just my opinion.

siv

First Grade
Already seems to be more rep games and more teams playing than WNRL games

1 test
5 9s games
3 SOOs
5 national championships

T-Boon

Coach

Yep, this should not be a surprise as the WNRL is dependent on the NRL clubs support and sort of putting their hands into their pockets and dusting off the wallet for something that may have massive future benefits but no obvious short term benefits. Good luck getting NRL clubs on board with that.

I would be over the moon if the women took control of their own game and went it alone without the NRL clubs involvement. Whose idea was going to 40/30? That was a great idea. They should press ahead and make all the rule changes the NRL is too stagnent to make.

Stallion

First Grade

1 test
5 9s games
3 SOOs
5 national championships

It's embarassing to rugby league the low number of NRLW sides in its top competition. The talent is there. Seems like they (RL administrators)are letting other codes get the jump in participation numbers on rugby league?

siv

First Grade
WNRL is dependent on the NRL clubs support and sort of putting their hands into their pockets

But NRL clubs receive grants for men to participate.

Why can't the NRL issue club grants for women to participate in the WNRL?

This was a request from some clubs

Instead we got central contracts. Central contracts ended up being a recruitment process that aided Easts in player recruitment and killed off opposition clubs.

Stallion

First Grade

This was a request from some clubs

Instead we got central contracts. Central contracts ended up being a recruitment process that aided Easts in player recruitment and killed off opposition clubs.

Agree. It's been handled in a way so that the women's comp cannot grow by demand. Other codes are reaping the benefit while women's rugby league looks to stagnate.

T-Boon

Coach

Because of the fact they are all so self interested, I dont think the clubs allow this.
In NRL club land thinking money needs to be dished out to each club evenly (so for example a new club would not get any additional funding unlike in the AFL because the NRL clubs are greedy peices of shit they would rather see the new club splutter along like the Titans). The other clubs would not sit by and let the clubs with WNRL teams get funding to cover those teams.

Stallion

First Grade
Because of the fact they are all so self interested, I dont think the clubs allow this.
In NRL club land thinking money needs to be dished out to each club evenly (so for example a new club would not get any additional funding unlike in the AFL because the NRL clubs are greedy peices of shit they would rather see the new club splutter along like the Titans). The other clubs would not sit by and let the clubs with WNRL teams get funding to cover those teams.

Very true. Would suggest that a mandatory women's NRL team represent each club and that should have happened or been the aim. I don't buy the "not enough talent " chatter. If clubs were compelled to provide a team I think the Womens game would boom in numbers. But it's being held back by timid administrators and short sighted clubs.

Pommy

Coach

So the funding would come from reduced funding to the men’s game resulting in lower wages and other sports being able to poach talent.

Pommy

Coach
No. Bring in a lower football department cap. Get rid of wrestling coaches.

How far do you think that saving goes between a squads wages and flaying them around Australia for a season?
Obviously you then need a larger football dept as you have two squads.

T-Boon

Coach
How far do you think that saving goes between a squads wages and flaying them around Australia for a season?
Obviously you then need a larger football dept as you have two squads.

They could just copy whatever it is the AFL is doing with their WAFL. This shit isn’t hard. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Stallion

First Grade
What codes are trying to sign AFL players though? Seriously my dog could play AFL.

Your assessment of AFL is spot on. However the myth the AFL publicity machine has engendered within the community is fooling plenty.

T-Boon

Coach
The funding should have come from the poker machines. There is no excuse for the western Sydney clubs not to have supported this. Not one wanted in. They are such dopes.