What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Intrust Super Cup

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was telling people Wynnum were playing Easts this week only to realise yesterday that it is the following week.

All I can think is that this is part of mirroring the NRL a week ahead. With the same final eight system in place this year (ridiculous), the Qld Cup started a week before the NRL and have their GF a week before the NRL one.

If the NRL has one bye round and one split round, the Qld Cup needs to as well to keep in sync.
It's confusing, but the NRL doesn't have split rounds, only bye rounds.

Basically, QRL made the decision to use a single split round (R19) rather than bye rounds, thereby reducing the competition to 23 rounds. The competition has been otherwise in sync with the NRL up til now, and from Round 19(b) onwards will no longer be in sync the rest of the season.

It's nothing to do with the finals system - there's no difference in how long a Top 8 and a Top 5 or 6 finals series run for.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Queensland Cup has varied the system - 2011 when Wynnum won, it was six teams in the semis with a three week finals series.

From what I recall, the NRL had one weekend this season when nobody played and two weekends where only half the teams played, same as Queensland Cup. Whether you want to call them byes or split rounds, the effect is the same.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Interesting to see Easts have sacked Scott Sipple with 5 Rounds to go and the team still in finals contention. Strange decision from the CEO and board when this can derail a teams finals preparation

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The wonderful world of Langlands Park.

Listen to their supporters and you would think they are the greatest club on Earth. Haven't won a top grade Premiership since 1991 and lost nine Grand Finals in that time.

I wouldn't consider Wynnum to be an overly successful club but they've won three Premierships since 1991.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
The wonderful world of Langlands Park.

Listen to their supporters and you would think they are the greatest club on Earth. Haven't won a top grade Premiership since 1991 and lost nine Grand Finals in that time.

I wouldn't consider Wynnum to be an overly successful club but they've won three Premierships since 1991.

Numerous head coaches throughout that time yet same administration at the helm may believe the issue stems from the top of the club

expansionist

Juniors
Interesting to see Easts have sacked Scott Sipple with 5 Rounds to go and the team still in finals contention. Strange decision from the CEO and board when this can derail a teams finals preparation
yeah... not overly surprising though...

I think the GF appearance kind of papered over some cracks

Don’t think Easts are any danger of missing the semis. Current Top 7 teams should really make it from here with 8th spot being Redcliffe or Ipswich.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
yeah... not overly surprising though...

I think the GF appearance kind of papered over some cracks

I thought the same.

Saw an article online stating it was a performance based decision. President expecting them to be top 2 throughout the year.

Will be interesting if they make another finals run and go one better. Hard for the club say your performance throughout the year was poor but you got us the result we all wanted.

huttriverofnz

Juniors
It's confusing, but the NRL doesn't have split rounds, only bye rounds.

Basically, QRL made the decision to use a single split round (R19) rather than bye rounds, thereby reducing the competition to 23 rounds. The competition has been otherwise in sync with the NRL up til now, and from Round 19(b) onwards will no longer be in sync the rest of the season.

It's nothing to do with the finals system - there's no difference in how long a Top 8 and a Top 5 or 6 finals series run for.

They had split rounds last week and this week to ease the load on players who have done a bit of travelling in country areas.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They had split rounds last week and this week to ease the load on players who have done a bit of travelling in country areas.
I think it was as much about aligning with NRL as it was that, but yeah it was timed well after Country Week

huttriverofnz

Juniors
Draw is now up - follow for updates all year @ http://bit.ly/2019ISCDraw

Finals is now top 8 format in line with NRL and NSWRL, season kicks off a week before the NRL and finishes a week before the NRL, 23 rounds over 26 weeks - two full clubs bye weekends and one split round. Country Week is Round 18 with all venues TBC.
That's a good idea and gives teams more of a target for the season.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Easts in for a cracking 2020 season with their rumoured shortlist for head coach. Hearing Mark Gliddon, Joe Callaghan, and Trigger in talks to make a return to the club. This along with the $$$ being spent on a nrl franchise bid you’d have to think the club is in a bit of strife

Reddy gave Easts a nice 43-0 touch-up tonight at home to remain the 8. With a run home of Central (h), PNG (a) & Mackay (h) and their current form, the Dolphins should win all 3 games.

The Tigers had no answers and haven’t scored a try in their last 2 games.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Reddy gave Easts a nice 43-0 touch-up tonight at home to remain the 8. With a run home of Central (h), PNG (a) & Mackay (h) and their current form, the Dolphins should win all 3 games.

The Tigers had no answers and haven’t scored a try in their last 2 game

60-2 in their last two games. End of their finals hopes?

XXXX Cap

Juniors

You really have to wonder about Easts. Plenty to play for last night and obviously didn't turn up.

I know it was a hard game with Wynnum last week but the Gulls manage to bounce back ok and defeat Souths reasonably comfortably in the end.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
You really have to wonder about Easts. Plenty to play for last night and obviously didn't turn up.

I know it was a hard game with Wynnum last week but the Gulls manage to bounce back ok and defeat Souths reasonably comfortably in the end.

Saw they had another debutant in the halves. Injuries in their pack and no consistent spine has hurt their run

huttriverofnz

Juniors

Norths Devils confirmed their play-offs berth with a record win over Northern Pride by 62-14. Great day for Broncos squad member Herbie Farnworth who finished up with a personal record haul of 34 pts - 4 tries and 9 goals. But Herbie could be lost in future to the Broncos. Herbie is incidently a former Manchester United soccer junior picked up by the Broncos and brought to Australia a couple of seasons ago.