What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Have An Idea For Finals Football; It's Controversial, But I Reckon It Would Be Great; Help Wanted!

T.S Quint

Coach
These are, in fact, one step back from the original rules of the NSWRL. It was a little bit different, but IIRC the GF was only played if the Minor Premiers lost their semi-final....or something like that.

I believe it was that the top two teams at the end of the year played off in a Final. If the team that finished minor premiers lost that Final then they would have a ‘right of reply’ to force a Grand Final, the winner of which would be the Premiers.

Maybe @madunit could help us out if he doesn’t mind.

emjaycee

Coach
I believe it was that the top two teams at the end of the year played off in a Final. If the team that finished minor premiers lost that Final then they would have a ‘right of reply’ to force a Grand Final, the winner of which would be the Premiers.

What the squinty guy said.

chiefy1

Juniors
Won't happen. More games equals revenue. Fox and nine wont stand for less games.
The minor premiers get enough advantage with two home finals ie storm

hindy111

Post Whore
I think finish in top 4 is a reward as get 2nd chance. Finish 1st or 2nd and you get hom game. It's a good system currently.
The comp is that even a few injuries could have you finish in 3rd not 1st.

I would be open to positions 7 and 8 being wild cards. Or atleast position 8.
Always thought it should go to the team with best differential of all teams left that finished 8-16

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The old system of 1 v 8 etc etc was more benefit to minor premiers than the current system.

Current set up, minor premiers have to play a fairly tough / very losable game against 4th.

The old system they got to play 8th which basically guaranteed a win / week off (yes they lost a few times)

However I have no stats which set up, the MP lost the most games in week 1.

strider

Post Whore
Current system, 1st and 2nd are guaranteed 2 home finals which is substantial, especially for non sydney teams, but also sydney teams wont have to travel interstate

T.S Quint

Coach
As it stands there isn’t much difference between finishing 1st or 2nd besides a cash prize.
2nd place still gets a second chance, still gets a home Final first week and also has to play a top 4 team. Depending on the year the difference between having to play 3rd or 4th might be quite a bit, but most years there wouldn’t be much difference.

84 Baby

Referee
The old system of 1 v 8 etc etc was more benefit to minor premiers than the current system.

Current set up, minor premiers have to play a fairly tough / very losable game against 4th.

The old system they got to play 8th which basically guaranteed a win / week off (yes they lost a few times)

However I have no stats which set up, the MP lost the most games in week 1.
IIRC 8th won twice (us 09 and Warriors 08). I agree the change helped 3rd/4th but did so somewhat at the expense of the MPs.

Also the home games through the finals really disproportionately helps interstate teams, especially given Sydney teams aren’t afforded same benefit for most part.

I’m all for a conference system. Perhaps 2 8-team conferences, top 4 each conference play round robin, winner plays GF

Never understood why the NRL didn't go with Warren Ryan's system. Gives them an extra game for revenue

WEEK ONE
Friday night: top-ranked team (1) v fourth-ranked team (4)
Saturday afternoon: 6 v 7
Saturday night: 2 v 3
Sunday afternoon: 5 v 8
- lowest-ranked loser eliminated, highest-ranked winner advances to week three

WEEK TWO (three games instead of two)
Saturday afternoon: lowest-ranked loser of top four teams v highest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Saturday night: highest-ranked loser of top four teams v lowest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Sunday afternoon: remaining winner from top four teams v remaining winner of bottom four teams

WEEK THREE
Saturday night: highest-ranked winner from week one v lowest-ranked winner from week two
Sunday afternoon: highest-ranked winner from week two v second highest-ranked winner from week two

WEEK FOUR (grand final)
two winners from week three

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Never understood why the NRL didn't go with Warren Ryan's system. Gives them an extra game for revenue

WEEK ONE
Friday night: top-ranked team (1) v fourth-ranked team (4)
Saturday afternoon: 6 v 7
Saturday night: 2 v 3
Sunday afternoon: 5 v 8
- lowest-ranked loser eliminated, highest-ranked winner advances to week three

WEEK TWO (three games instead of two)
Saturday afternoon: lowest-ranked loser of top four teams v highest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Saturday night: highest-ranked loser of top four teams v lowest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Sunday afternoon: remaining winner from top four teams v remaining winner of bottom four teams

WEEK THREE
Saturday night: highest-ranked winner from week one v lowest-ranked winner from week two
Sunday afternoon: highest-ranked winner from week two v second highest-ranked winner from week two

WEEK FOUR (grand final)
two winners from week three

I reckon the problem with that system is 2 v 3 are almost playing for nothing.

It’s a tough game (potentially tougher then a 6v7 game), they bash each other then probably have to play the following week.

Noise

Coach
If we are going to continue with a top 8 then I actually like the current system. I would like it even more if we featured in it a bit more regularly

TheRam

Coach
Well, I mean, making the Minor Premiers go straight to the Grand Final doesn't reduce the top 8 per se (ok, it does, by one); it adds extra incentive for the team coming second to push extra hard to try to finish in first place, and it rewards the Minor Premiers for being the best.

I know it will never happen, but I just thought it would add extra spice to the race to the Minor Premiership.

If you still have 7 teams playing off to see who joins the Minor premiers in the GF, can you imagine how non match fit the MP's will be by the end of the month of the finals. No MP would ever win the GF. Teams would be tripping over themselves to second or worse.

84 Baby

Referee
A top 15 finals series would be best. Imagine the excitement! And the devastation for the massive looser.
A 16 team finals series with the top 15 NRL teams and a 16th team who is winner of a national lower grade, team nominative style tournament. Imagine cheering on the Group 11 Nyngan Tigers reserve grade!

Actually f**k those guys! I hope we f**ken smash them!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

There's been several finals systems in place over the years.

1908-09 used a system whereby you still accumulated premiership points in the finals.

In 1908, first played third in a knockout semi-final, and second played fourth in a knockout semi. The winners then played in a Final, and the team which was ahead on points (after adding finals wins to their regular season tally) was declared the winner. If both teams were even on points, a second final would be played.

Because both Easts and Souths were theoretically even on 20 points heading into the Final, South Sydney's win took them to 22 points, making them the winner.

1910-11 worked off a similar system, except that it contained only the top 2 teams. The game ended in a draw, which meant Newtown, who went into the game one point clear on the ladder, was declared Premiers.

1911 saw Glebe finish in first, but Easts and Souths were tied for second - they played in a play-off to determine who would face Glebe (no comp points were awarded for this game). Easts beat Glebe in the final which meant both sides were now even on comp Pts, necessitating a Grand Final, which Easts won.

1912-1925 & 1937 - First past the post - If you were alone on comp pts at the end of the regular season, you were the Premier - no finals played unless there was a tie for first place.

1926-1936 & 1938-1955 - Grand Final Challenge system - 4 team finals series. If the minor premier lost at any point in the series they had the right to challenge the team who won the final in a Grand Final. This system came under scrutiny in 1944 when it was alleged that Minor Premiers Newtown threw the final against Balmain to ensure a second lot of gate takings. Balmain though won the Grand Final.

In 1956-1973 - 4 team finals series. No Grand Final Challenge
1974-1994 - 5 team finals series
1995-96 - 8 team finals series
1997 - 7 team finals series (ARL), 5 team finals series (SL)
1998 - 10 team finals series
1999-2019 - 8 team finals series.

T.S Quint

Coach
There's been several finals systems in place over the years.

1908-09 used a system whereby you still accumulated premiership points in the finals.

In 1908, first played third in a knockout semi-final, and second played fourth in a knockout semi. The winners then played in a Final, and the team which was ahead on points (after adding finals wins to their regular season tally) was declared the winner. If both teams were even on points, a second final would be played.

Because both Easts and Souths were theoretically even on 20 points heading into the Final, South Sydney's win took them to 22 points, making them the winner.

1910-11 worked off a similar system, except that it contained only the top 2 teams. The game ended in a draw, which meant Newtown, who went into the game one point clear on the ladder, was declared Premiers.

1911 saw Glebe finish in first, but Easts and Souths were tied for second - they played in a play-off to determine who would face Glebe (no comp points were awarded for this game). Easts beat Glebe in the final which meant both sides were now even on comp Pts, necessitating a Grand Final, which Easts won.

1912-1925 & 1937 - First past the post - If you were alone on comp pts at the end of the regular season, you were the Premier - no finals played unless there was a tie for first place.

1926-1936 & 1938-1955 - Grand Final Challenge system - 4 team finals series. If the minor premier lost at any point in the series they had the right to challenge the team who won the final in a Grand Final. This system came under scrutiny in 1944 when it was alleged that Minor Premiers Newtown threw the final against Balmain to ensure a second lot of gate takings. Balmain though won the Grand Final.

In 1956-1973 - 4 team finals series. No Grand Final Challenge
1974-1994 - 5 team finals series
1995-96 - 8 team finals series
1997 - 7 team finals series (ARL), 5 team finals series (SL)
1998 - 10 team finals series
1999-2019 - 8 team finals series.

Thanks for that info mate.
Much appreciated :thumbsup:

84 Baby

Referee
After all that I think the best system would be a 16 team challenge finals series. One with Scum as MPs and #CAM900 has to play every game