What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd21: Parra v Knights LIVE GAME DAY thread 10/8/19

TheRam

Coach
I’m confident you know what I meant.

You had a swipe at the fans, you included, for not having resilience, which I find a bogus statement. The fans, you included, are the life blood and the backbone of this club. The players on the other hand have been found wanting for quite a while now.

Sure they are showing signs of resilience at last, but we have all seen this many times before. So it's hardly surprising that some fans are still very cautious in declaring that the witch is dead just yet mate.

But yes the signs are good.

TheRam

Coach
Ya reckon with that no try to Gutho where Ponga chased him down that Drown passed early and if so possibly as a result of his non pass last week where he took on Norman rather than passing to support?
I guess its all experience but I wonder if he had a rocket put up him through the week.

This is what I have alluded to in a previous post. His passing is all out. Even in other situations like when simply passing to spread the ball out wide, he almost hesitates fractionally before deciding who or where to throw to and by doing so negates our advantage.

But like I said, he is very young and he is now basically learning his trade in 1st grade. A very hard thing to do for most ball players, so we need to cut him some slack for the next couple of years. But he does show some signs of brilliance here and there, which is what you want to see. Hopefully as time goes on good consistency will develop in his overall game.

84 Baby

Referee
I don’t even reckon it’s experience but game time. He had long lay off, but he didn’t appear to have those problems in the opening rounds.
And going back to his non pass in Manly game after he made the break, I reckon that was right call. Gutho was shadowed by Taufua

TheRam

Coach
I don’t even reckon it’s experience but game time. He had long lay off, but he didn’t appear to have those problems in the opening rounds.
And going back to his non pass in Manly game after he made the break, I reckon that was right call. Gutho was shadowed by Taufua

Maybe, but whatever it is his timing is out.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I didn’t think he passed too early. He probably could have positioned himself better to get Gutho over the line but what he did was ok.
What I was most happy about was Gutho holding onto the ball and taking the tackle when he could have tried to force a pass back to Brown. He knew he had tackles up his sleeve, and we scored not long after because of this.

He passed at the right time. Ponga always positions himself to go hard after the ball receiver rather than the ball carrier, Hayne used to do it later in 2013/2014 too. It works when the ball is passed but if Dyl had dummied and gone himself he scores I reckon. We've also got to remember that Ponga is faster than Guth, especially if he's holding the ball.

We scored that set anyway so does it really matter?

84 Baby

Referee
He passed at the right time. Ponga always positions himself to go hard after the ball receiver rather than the ball carrier, Hayne used to do it later in 2013/2014 too. It works when the ball is passed but if Dyl had dummied and gone himself he scores I reckon. We've also got to remember that Ponga is faster than Guth, especially if he's holding the ball.

It’s kind of better. Many a time in the past after flubbing a break like that, we’d come away with no points. We steadied and scored. Admittedly off a kick, but it was well worked and Ponga was absolutely gassed from the chase then having to go from one side to the other (I’m hopeful that we recognised that and that he was out of position for kick).

Rewatching it, Ponga basically showed Brown the sideline but so he could spin easily to chase inside. In hindsight, Brown should have stepped inside, which would have put Ponga off balance or made him commit

Gazzamatta

Coach

It dont matter at all OA. I love that hes not erratic. Be it game time etc, the Kid just needs to develop coordination with his team mates. Im very excited about his development next year. Im a huge fan. He won me with his defence. On Saturday night sitting behind the defensive line it was great just watching him go about his defence. I was also very impressed with Waqa's defence. Once hes match fit I reckon we stole a beauty there. Im loving our recruitment. More of the same please.

Yeah first round just before half time Ponga stopped a try by going for the intercept Dylbags obviously read the tip sheet.
He also was more towards the centre of the field last week against Normie and Normie hedged his bets and expected Dyl to pass inside so he was balanced in that direction.
I have seen Dylan use the move on Normie at training several times when in the clear and he always beats the fullback. He burnt Bevan French a couple of times

Tooooks

Bench
You had a swipe at the fans, you included, for not having resilience, which I find a bogus statement. The fans, you included, are the life blood and the backbone of this club. The players on the other hand have been found wanting for quite a while now.

Sure they are showing signs of resilience at last, but we have all seen this many times before. So it's hardly surprising that some fans are still very cautious in declaring that the witch is dead just yet mate.

But yes the signs are good.

I probably didn’t explain myself very well. Yes, us long term fans will stick with the club no matter what. We’ve all stuck with them through the worst.

I was talking more about how easily some of us sometimes just assume our guys will roll over under a bit of adversity (eg after the Knights scored two quick ones) because we’ve all been disappointed so many times before. I know I need to show more faith in them in that situation rather than just automatically think “here we go again.”

If that makes sense (probably not. Been a long day).

TheRam

Coach
I probably didn’t explain myself very well. Yes, us long term fans will stick with the club no matter what. We’ve all stuck with them through the worst.

I was talking more about how easily some of us sometimes just assume our guys will roll over under a bit of adversity (eg after the Knights scored two quick ones) because we’ve all been disappointed so many times before. I know I need to show more faith in them in that situation rather than just automatically think “here we go again.”

If that makes sense (probably not. Been a long day).

Why? They need to earn that faith. There's quite a ways to go yet before many of us can confidently have that faith. Remember the Eels have been a joke of a team for many years now. Even earlier in this very season they capitulated meekly on a few occasions.

Tooooks

Bench
Why? They need to earn that faith. There's quite a ways to go yet before many of us can confidently have that faith. Remember the Eels have been a joke of a team for many years now. Even earlier in this very season they capitulated meekly on a few occasions.

Fair call mate. Hoping we can keep building on that.

Latest posts