What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

LineBall

Juniors
Will be interesting to see what happens. Some coaches don't like it - but seems most fans do. Will the NRL relent to the vested interest of the coaches or put the majority interest first?

Frailty

First Grade
Coaches don't like it? I couldn't care. They shouldn't be making the rules.

Prime example of how great the rule is during the Souths-Melbourne game. Souths really trying to put pressure and make another come back, and then Storm strip the ball to stop it. Then in that very next set, Souths get the ball back to go right back on the attack.

It adds so much strategy and unpredictability to the game, it would be a shame to just stop it.

Zadar

Juniors
I find it quite interesting that those who want the scrums to go back to being a real contest for the ball, have an issue with a rule that ensures a real contest for the ball.

The scrum is 6 v 6 though, not 3 on 1.

I’d be happy with the stripping rule staying in place if no more than two players are involved in the initial tackle.

The raiders are playing to the rules and perfected it well, but the NRL maybe could of trialled it a bit to make it not look like a wrestling cluster f**k.

The strip isn’t helping Ricky beat any contenders yet this year, so might be time to concentrate on something else.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Will be interesting to see what happens. Some coaches don't like it - but seems most fans do. Will the NRL relent to the vested interest of the coaches or put the majority interest first?

Surely this is a rhetorical question?

Coaches don't like it? I couldn't care. They shouldn't be making the rules.

Prime example of how great the rule is during the Souths-Melbourne game. Souths really trying to put pressure and make another come back, and then Storm strip the ball to stop it. Then in that very next set, Souths get the ball back to go right back on the attack.

It adds so much strategy and unpredictability to the game, it would be a shame to just stop it.

100% agree. The game is so structured these days. I love the unpredictability it adds, and this is coming from the fan of a club who is 15th in one on one strips

Robinson is very smart. The Roosters thrive off a fast attack when they have the ball. When they attack at pace, no one can keep up with them. The attempts at stripping stifle this. That's why he's going on about it now.

They play to a plan and hate the unpredictability it adds. It will 100% be gone in the off season.

Just Visiting

Juniors
Saw this coming as soon as the rule was changed and its not going to stop, in fact its only just begun. Wait until the tackling structures and drills are honed for this even more like they were for wrestling to slow the play down. Considering the payback for a strip is generally much higher than a slow play the ball and I fear we are going to be watching strip ball in a season or two.

1 on 1 is fair enough, 3 on 1 with a call for two to drop and a 115kg guy reefing the ball from an 80kg player is going to be the norm I fear, and the effect that will have on players looking for offloads and other aspects. I can see where 50% of defense is setting up for attempted strips. If it just stayed the way it is now it wouldn't be too bad, but I doubt it will.

Front-Rower

First Grade
If it just stayed the way it is now it wouldn't be too bad, but I doubt it will.

I doubt they will change it back as well. It was changed because the NRL wanted to make it easier for the refs. The rule before was too complicated as to the interpretation as to when a tackler or tacklers fell off and the tackle became one on one.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Why don't we bring back the rake-backs and kick throughs in the PTB then.

Along with the 5 metre rule, contested scrums, leather balls, match of the round, quarter line all seem like the way of the future though the current ball strip rule is not

I like it. Maybe that's because Cam Murray is an absolute genius at it but still...

You can see that most of the time, the guy losing the ball is intent on getting to the ground quick and just getting a quick play the ball. They aren't thinking about ball security because they haven't had to... In the past if it came loose, half the time they got a penalty for a strip whether warranted or not.

Gives the tackled player something extra to think about and in that way, it can also slow down the play the ball just that little bit more.

Good rule imo.

Springs09

Juniors
It’s great. Much better than when we were so harsh on stripping that a hand anywhere near a loose ball was penalised.

Teams that don’t like it - hold on to the f**king thing. It really isn’t hard to hold on to the ball.

VictoryFC

Bench
It's fine if it's straight up 1 on 1. But when you're being tackled by two players, and some plonker joins in and tries to wrest the ball out of your grip, it's not fine. Easy fix.

T-Boon

Coach
I have change my mind a couple of times but I have decided that they should allow it in two man tackles but not three man tackles. Also in an above example of a legal strip attempt it should never lead to 6 again or knock on.

forby

Juniors
Should have stayed as one on one not 3 in and 2 ‘drop off’ when one has stolen the ball. This is back to the bad old days.