What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Informal meet and Greet

Generalzod

Immortal
I’ve applied for a job and to my amazement I got a response back for a informal meet and greet, I’ve haven’t been to a job interview in ages...Is this technically a job interview?? some advise will be appreciated...

Eion

First Grade
Every time they talk to you it’s an interview. With any luck though it’s an indication they are human and won’t ask a bunch of stupid behavioural questions and psych tests.

Life's Good

Coach
I’ve applied for a job and to my amazement I got a response back for a informal meet and greet, I’ve haven’t been to a job interview in ages...Is this technically a job interview?? some advise will be appreciated...
As long as you didn’t apply for the job through Grindr then you’ll be fine mate(not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Parra

Referee

Yes it is. Indicator of a decent company - much better process that formal interviews and a chance to get to know each other rather than formalities and set questions.

Haffa

Was the job with the hiring company or with a recruitment company? Recruiters tend to do meet and greets to get you on the books so they can pimp you out and get referral fees etc. if it’s with the company then it’s a proper interview.

Generalzod

Immortal
No it was a proper job advert..
Was the job with the hiring company or with a recruitment company? Recruiters tend to do meet and greets to get you on the books so they can pimp you out and get referral fees etc. if it’s with the company then it’s a proper interview.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Are you the only person attending this meet and greet?

The last job I went for held an initial information session where there were about 10 others in attendance.

That was followed by a three day unpaid introductory training with a few aptitude tests and an initial interview.

Get through that and you have two weeks of full time fully paid training.then you're on the job full time.

I've been there since May.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Depends I think.

If its a small operation, it might be the "interview" itself. If its a bigger operation, they might just be screening to see if you're a nutter, and could be a precursor to the interview proper.

In any event I would def go in prepared as if its a real interview - talk about yourself, your achievements, what you know about them and the industry etc. The conversation might be a bit more casual but they are still evaluating you as a potential employee and have not made their mind up yet.

if its in Stains territory, don't wear your sharks tie.

Generalzod

Immortal
Are you the only person attending this meet and greet?

The last job I went for held an initial information session where there were about 10 others in attendance.

That was followed by a three day unpaid introductory training with a few aptitude tests and an initial interview.

Get through that and you have two weeks of full time fully paid training.then you're on the job full time.

I've been there since May.
I’m the only person..

Life's Good

Coach
Actually it was in Gumtree jobs within the St George and Sutherland Shire areas...
Sorry mate, I couldn’t resist.

My experience is that the informal meet & greet is quite common. I know in my field(sales, marketing, retail) that this is very much a first step in the process. I’ve done it on many occasions particularly to see what a candidate is like in just a casual setting without the fear of the whole ‘what are your strengths/weaknesses, best achievements, blah, blah’ line of questioning that you get a formal interview. I know I would prefer to test the working relationship potential in that sort of setting(also, you see the candidates interaction with staff in a coffee shop for example).
Also, it might also reflect the company in that they are quite small & do things without the layers of BS you’d get with a larger company.
Not sure if this is of use to you but hopefully just adds to the picture you’re trying to form.
Irrespective, good luck & if its a job you want I hope it all works out.

Generalzod

Immortal
Sorry mate, I couldn’t resist.

My experience is that the informal meet & greet is quite common. I know in my field(sales, marketing, retail) that this is very much a first step in the process. I’ve done it on many occasions particularly to see what a candidate is like in just a casual setting without the fear of the whole ‘what are your strengths/weaknesses, best achievements, blah, blah’ line of questioning that you get a formal interview. I know I would prefer to test the working relationship potential in that sort of setting(also, you see the candidates interaction with staff in a coffee shop for example).
Also, it might also reflect the company in that they are quite small & do things without the layers of BS you’d get with a larger company.
Not sure if this is of use to you but hopefully just adds to the picture you’re trying to form.
Irrespective, good luck & if its a job you want I hope it all works out.
You don’t have to apologise, thanks for the advise..

Parra

Referee
You don’t have to apologise, thanks for the advise..

It is good advice. It may be a step in the process that leads to another meeting like this. The bit about how you interact with others is very valid. Key is to be yourself. You are both looking for cultural/natural fit which is best for everyone involved.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Treat every phone call, email or informal meet & greet as a potential interview..

Last company I worked for was big on the informal meeting, it’s was a great chance to get to know the real person away from the formal interview situation..

There were quite a number of times my boss sent me or my colleagues out on coffee or lunch meetings with potential candidates as a “last check” far down the recruitment process..

The plan was to see how the person would act around their future team mates & also how they’d act when they thought the job was in the bag..

Twice there were occasions where the candidate lost the job in these meetings.. Once for just sitting there bagging their current workplace all lunch, the other time because they were outright rude to the waitress for no reason..

The long and the short of it - be yourself, but act professional.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s an interview in the sense that it’s all part of the hiring process, and you’ll be judged on how you present. The main difference is how you’d carry yourself. You probably don’t want to show up wearing a suit (as it’s specifically informal), instead wear something casual but smart. Don’t walk in with a resume folder under your arm, but do all the same prep you’d do for a job interview in terms of preparing for questions. And be really mindful of how you interact with everyone else around you in the venue, particularly staff. It’s your social skills that are being assessed here.

Knight76

Juniors
Informal meeting will likely tell an employer more about the candidate than a structured interview anyway.

Everyone has the pre-loaded answers to those interview questions. Whats your biggest weakness - I'm a bit of a perfectionist yadda yadda.

Informal setting gets the candidate more relaxed and off guard a bit. See them in their more natural selves.

Anyway, as above. Any time your talking to your prospective employer, it's an interview.

Where is the meet and greet at? At their business or somewhere else?

___

Juniors
It's an interview mate, just not a formal one. This means they'll usually pick the person they like most.

Generalzod

Immortal
Interview done and dusted. Unfortunately the job requirements advertised was not what was asked at interview. They were asking about AZURE.?? Which was not mentioned in the job ad. Oh well go shell!!!

Incorrect

Coach
Interview done and dusted. Unfortunately the job requirements advertised was not what was asked at interview. They were asking about AZURE.?? Which was not mentioned in the job ad. Oh well go shell!!!
What sort of role were you expecting it to be out of interest. I'm guessing you're in IT?? What sorts of roles are you looking for??

Latest posts