What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

merahputih

Juniors
The kid played great - didn't look out of place at all.
Coaching and Team culture come to the fore with the top teams.
Bellamy is a true mentor and is not afraid to give the young guys a go.
As a result, he gets paid back in spades by his ambitious youngsters.
Big fail when it comes to McGregor and St. George.
Watched that game, DP. Yes, Nicho Hynes played with poise and maturity beyond his years. As far as I know he hasn't played a full game in first grade before. Bellamy has his detractors here but you can't deny the guy's ability to spot and bring through young players in the Storm System. Smith, Slater, Munster, the Bromwich brothers, Cooper Cronk, Chambers, Greg Inglis- the list goes on. None of these guys were on anybody else's radar when they were mostly plucked from Qld and Brisbane lower grades.

Watched that game, DP. Yes, Nicho Hynes played with poise and maturity beyond his years. As far as I know he hasn't played a full game in first grade before. Bellamy has his detractors here but you can't deny the guy's ability to spot and bring through young players in the Storm System. Smith, Slater, Munster, the Bromwich brothers, Cooper Cronk, Chambers, Greg Inglis- the list goes on. None of these guys were on anybody else's radar when they were mostly plucked from Qld and Brisbane lower grades.
Anyone that detracts from Coach's like Bellamy and Bennett are truly foolish.
These are guys with incredible track records that cannot be denied.
What they bring to the table is experience, technical knowledge and strategic smarts.
They just know what to do.
They also provide something more subjective which is a tremendous environment in which to develop young players.
Some make it and some don't but all leave Melbourne better players that have benefitted from their time at Melbourne under Bellamy.
I have no doubt that our nursery is every bit as good as Melbourne's but we just don't have the same aura and the ability to mentor that Bellamy has.
It's hard to fathom that Bennett was a shining light for us and either side, we have the mediocrity staring us in the face.

Qapm

Juniors
Quote - thank God we beat the Titans if Bulldogs beat the Tiges then we are seciond last - from Mary after the Titan's game]
Like I said in the Spoon thread both water and McGregor coached teams will find their natural level.
I'm thinking 15th is about right for the Dragons. Bulldogs have better than even chance of moving up though Cowboys may give the Dragons a run for the money
Can't say Mary doesn't deliver the excitement. Excellent end of season battle for 15th and Spoon not out of the question.
Only reason I was glad for win against the Titans was Graham

RED73V

Juniors
I can honestly see why Reece Robson has moved on from us . McFu##witt can NOT identify talent let alone develop it. Reece would feel stagnant in our fantastic pathways system due to Mary’s lack of vision & use of the bench . I really hope he kicks on & rubs McFu##witts nose in it .

18to87

First Grade
I can honestly see why Reece Robson has moved on from us . McFu##witt can NOT identify talent let alone develop it. Reece would feel stagnant in our fantastic pathways system due to Mary’s lack of vision & use of the bench . I really hope he kicks on & rubs McFu##witts nose in it .
Timm also leaving - most likely to the Dogs - it is rumoured.

Not good enough for the supercoach to give him a run over Latimore or Kaufusi.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Timm also leaving - most likely to the Dogs - it is rumoured.

Not good enough for the supercoach to give him a run over Latimore or Kaufusi.
McGregor is a bloody criminal this imposter has destroyed any young players confidence coming through the ranks due to his love for playing old boring over the hill players like latimore , his love affair with nightingale last yr and Turning a blind eye to Ruben Garrick is unforgivable, Brian Johnson should hang his head in Shame for resigning this menace

BLM01

First Grade
The problem is ...it rubs our noses in it too!. Because the supporters will get just as hopping mad and frustrated.
But there is no way I would have him over Mcinnes but could see a minor regular share role which we have not utilised so its bye bye. Lovodua is the replacement now if McInness injured.

18to87

First Grade
The problem is ...it rubs our noses in it too!. Because the supporters will get just as hopping mad and frustrated.
But there is no way I would have him over Mcinnes but could see a minor regular share role which we have not utilised so its bye bye. Lovodua is the replacement now if McInness injured.
The problem with the mismanagement by McGregor is that Robson was already rumoured to be out the door before he got a shot. This is a trend. Timm is the next in a long line that recently includes Garrick and Herbert.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Proof that Mary is out of touch
The Dragons need to play Lachlan Timm, although it doesn’t look like Mary will.

ANGUS SIMPSON

CONTRIBUTOR
AUGUST 12, 2019 - 12:48 PM
GettyImages-1136108934-696x485.jpg

TOWNSVILLE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 16: Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks on before the start of the round 1 NRL match between the North Queensland Cowboys and the St George Illawarra Dragons at 1300SMILES Stadium on March 16, 2019 in Townsville, Australia. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
With the curtain fast coming down on the St George Illawarra Dragons’ season, the Red V faithful have been calling for Paul McGregor’s sacking following a dire 2019 and having only made the finals twice during his five seasons at the helm.

While I can sympathise to an extent with McGregor due to the consistent injuries the Dragons have suffered as well as the Jack de Belin issue hanging over their season like a dark cloud, he has not helped himself with his baffling team selections.

Currently languishing in 14th with only seven wins for the year, the Dragons’ forward pack have copped their fair share of criticism with only NSW Origin representative Paul Vaughan averaging over 100 running metres amongst the Dragons’ previously lauded forward pack.

This is where my problem with McGregor lies, surely a quality first-grade coach would recognise these deficiencies and bring in another squad member.

Step in, Lachlan Timm. Having joined the Dragons at the beginning of the 2019 season after a successful junior career at the Storm, Timm has been arguably the best player in the Canterbury Cup in 2019.

TRENDING NOW
The former Queensland under 20 representative currently tops the competition for post-contact metres with 1204, tackles with 691, total runs, and run metres averaging 165 per match.

While McGregor has shown he has paid attention to the Dragons lower-grades, handing local junior Jackson Ford his debut against the Titans after a four-try performance in the previous round, continually not selecting the in-form Timm after such an average season from his big men is borderline criminal.

While McGregor’s ignorance is undoubtedly costing the Dragons in the short-term, it could prove to cost them in the long-term also, with Fox Sportsreporting that Timm’s future is likely to be away from Wollongong due to a lack of game time in the top grade which he has undeniably earnt.

With only four rounds remaining and the door all but shut on the Dragons finals hope, now is the time to blood more youngsters like Timm, in the same way that Jason Saab and Jackson Ford have been handed their chances, because if McGregor doesn’t, another coach will.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Why would the club wait another 6-8 rounds into next year to make another decision on the future of this imposter as a coach. We again are going to waste another season going no where. If the board cannot see he is only looking out for himself by not selecting players towards next year I have no more to say. It has driven me nuts that he has so many fooled yet we the ones that feel the pain cannot do anything about it. As much as I hate to say it we should just not turn up to the games. Yet as last week I again bunkered down at home to watch the GC game when I said thats it I’ve had enough.

18to87

First Grade
Why would the club wait another 6-8 rounds into next year to make another decision on the future of this imposter as a coach. We again are going to waste another season going no where. If the board cannot see he is only looking out for himself by not selecting players towards next year I have no more to say. It has driven me nuts that he has so many fooled yet we the ones that feel the pain cannot do anything about it. As much as I hate to say it we should just not turn up to the games. Yet as last week I again bunkered down at home to watch the GC game when I said thats it I’ve had enough.
It's because they will have the toughest preseason ever...probably running 98 metre wind sprints.

BLM01

First Grade
Why..cause the board and the media still dont see it as his fault..yet... for some reason.
It is everyone else around him's fault including the players themselves...go figure!

Billy Slater was close on Monday night saying the way the team plays is on and a reflection of the coach..not anything else.
No one else on the panel said anything in support of that...so crickets...it goes no further but there is someone again in the media like a couple out there ATM saying what it really is... and not finding BS excuses.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Anyone that detracts from Coach's like Bellamy and Bennett are truly foolish.
These are guys with incredible track records that cannot be denied.
What they bring to the table is experience, technical knowledge and strategic smarts.
They just know what to do.
They also provide something more subjective which is a tremendous environment in which to develop young players.
Some make it and some don't but all leave Melbourne better players that have benefitted from their time at Melbourne under Bellamy.
I have no doubt that our nursery is every bit as good as Melbourne's but we just don't have the same aura and the ability to mentor that Bellamy has.
It's hard to fathom that Bennett was a shining light for us and either side, we have the mediocrity staring us in the face.
You are very perceptive, Dennis, in regards to Bellamy and Bennett. But I just find your use of the word "mediocrity" is far too kind to Mary. To me the word implies an average coach. In my opinion Mary falls far below average or mediocre. I am no strategist so I will just refer to common sense issues like team selection, bench rotation, constant overuse of ineffectual but experienced players over youthful potential and inability to manage the Origin period. On all these issues Mary is not mediocre but poor.