What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

BxTom

Bench
Cronk talked up Burton. That settles it for me. He's the smartest guy in the game with daylight second.
I used to know a three time Olympian/ multiple world record holder (now deceased). He gave me a little coaching many years ago. Part of that coaching was understanding mind games as used in top level sport. He said that he was considered, by others, as the red hot chance of the gold. A competitor told him, just before his match up with him, that he (my friend) was such a great competiror that it was hard seeing anyone beat him and that he must be looking forward to taking the gold.

It was mind games and it worked. It placed big expectations on him and the pressure that went with it. He said the team shrink explained it after the event.

We playing the Rorters anytime soon?

OldPanther

Coach
I used to know a three time Olympian/ multiple world record holder (now deceased). He gave me a little coaching many years ago. Part of that coaching was understanding mind games as used in top level sport. He said that he was considered, by others, as the red hot chance of the gold. A competitor told him, just before his match up with him, that he (my friend) was such a great competiror that it was hard seeing anyone beat him and that he must be looking forward to taking the gold.

It was mind games and it worked. It placed big expectations on him and the pressure that went with it. He said the team shrink explained it after the event.

We playing the Rorters anytime soon?

Burton won't be playing so it would be pointless.

OldPanther

Coach
What does it settle?

Anyone making bold predictions after a single game needs their head read.

I would normally agree but Cronk is the exception. Smartest guy in the game. this is the bloke who got sent off in state of origin and gave Smith and Thurston their instructions. Won a grand final with his words. Funny the fox guys tried to talk up the storm fullback and he gave the usual platitudes. Burton he picked out and genuinely praised though. That simply doesn't happen without good reason.

I would normally agree but Cronk is the exception. Smartest guy in the game. this is the bloke who got sent off in state of origin and gave Smith and Thurston their instructions. Won a grand final with his words. Funny the fox guys tried to talk up the storm fullback and he gave the usual platitudes. Burton he picked out and genuinely praised though. That simply doesn't happen without good reason.

No one is smart enough to predict the future of a footballer after one game, there’s too many variables.

This expectation stuff hurts our juniors, it’s happened time and time before. One example I was thinking of was Jarrod Sammut, heaps of hype after a couple of games, two years later in super league. Not that I’m comparing Burton to Sammut mind you.

Right on time the hype train always pulls in to Penrith station...

OldPanther

Coach
No one is smart enough to predict the future of a footballer after one game, there’s too many variables.

This expectation stuff hurts our juniors, it’s happened time and time before. One example I was thinking of was Jarrod Sammut, heaps of hype after a couple of games, two years later in super league. Not that I’m comparing Burton to Sammut mind you.

Right on time the hype train always pulls in to Penrith station...

I disagree. If anyone could pick it he could. Anything could happen like injuries but I'd take his word over anyone else in the game.

Does Cronk know the ins and outs of our roster situation?

Plus it may only take one more injury for Burton to play, Luai may not be back this year.

People are off their head if they think Cronk is trying to pressure pur team into failure. He is surprisingly honest in his interviews. He's spoken about Nathan's weaknesses before so he isn't into mindlessly talking us up.

I disagree. If anyone could pick it he could. Anything could happen like injuries but I'd take his word over anyone else in the game.

People are off their head if they think Cronk is trying to pressure pur team into failure. He is surprisingly honest in his interviews. He's spoken about Nathan's weaknesses before so he isn't into mindlessly talking us up.

He probably isn’t doing that, but I can easily see him being captivated by the media hype around Penrith juniors. We’ve always had this issue.

Peter Sterling has a good footy brain, a few years ago he was calling Moylan the next Lockyer. I’ve seen the media call guys the next Fittler and they hadn’t even played a game yet.

Sincerely think we’re doing Burton a disservice too.

OldPanther

Coach
He probably isn’t doing that, but I can easily see him being captivated by the media hype around Penrith juniors. We’ve always had this issue.

Peter Sterling has a good footy brain, a few years ago he was calling Moylan the next Lockyer. I’ve seen the media call guys the next Fittler and they hadn’t even played a game yet.

Sincerely think we’re doing Burton a disservice too.

Moylan has the skill to be that good. His fitness has let him down.

BxTom

Bench

Why can Cronk pick a good player? What is Cronk's coaching history? What does Cronk have to do with selecting rosters? There are countless great players in many sports that couldn't coach to save themselves. What makes Cronk so special?

OldPanther

Coach
Why can Cronk pick a good player? What is Cronk's coaching history? What does Cronk have to do with selecting rosters? There are countless great players in many sports that couldn't coach to save themselves. What makes Cronk so special?

Have you ever heard him break down a game? Or analyse a player?

OldPanther

Coach
Lockyer will be an immortal, Moylan isn’t anywhere near him fitness or no fitness.

The hype train is strong in you, OldPanther

You can't tell Moylan's vision and passing on someone with an extreme work ethic wouldn't be at that level. That's often the defining characteristic of these people. How hard they work. That's not hype that's facts.

Take Egan, I'm a big fan but I'm not about to say he's Cameron Smith. People don't look at my comments logically.

age.s

First Grade
Lockyer will be an immortal, Moylan isn’t anywhere near him fitness or no fitness.

The hype train is strong in you, OldPanther

Nah, I agree with OP there. Moylan has the full bag when it comes to skillset.

It always looks like young players with potential get overhyped because very few people ever actually reach their potential. Those that do are usually the guys who put in far far more than their teammates. It's tricky because as fans it's very difficult for us to separate talent and how that talent is brought forth (hard work/training). It's easy to attribute a lack of one with an abundance of the other.

It's hard to say with Moylan. Maybe he was never going to be an elite player, but I've always attributed guys who play well in bursts with below average self-discipline. The guys who "trained till they got it right" rather than "trained till they were unable to get it wrong". That always struck me as Moylans problem, but who knows.

Latest posts