What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj_2nh_8318.jpg

DRAGONS

Graham pays tribute to parents after surprise visit for 400th
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 10 Aug 2019, 07:37 PM
walterbrad-head.png

James Graham paid tribute to his parents after they surprised him by flying from England to attend his emotion-charged 400th premiership at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday.

Graham, who began his career with St Helens in Super League 16 years ago, was the centre of attention as the Dragons celebrated his milestone with a 40-28 defeat of the Titans.

The English forward admitted he was close to tears before kick-off as he saw his wife and children in the tunnel.

Tributes from former and current team-mates were played on the big screen and an England flag with the names of every player he’d play alongside written into the cross of Saint George was pinned to a wall in the home dressing room.

On each of the four sides of the red cross was the location of one of the three clubs Graham has played for, Eccleston (St Helens), Belmore (Canterbury) and Kogarah (St George Illawarra), and his birthplace, Maghull.

However, he had no sense before their arrival that his parents, John and Dianne, were also planning to be on hand to witness the Dragons end a five-match losing streak on a special occasion for their son.

grahamj-mum_2nh_8165.jpg

James Graham's parents John and Dianne at Jubilee on Saturday. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
“I was very, very surprised,” Graham said. “I spoke to my mum on Tuesday or Wednesday and she said, ‘good luck’ and all this, and I said, ‘if you are thinking of coming I will kill you’. She just laughed it off and I thought that was it.

“There are lots of stories in rugby league, and it is not just with me, but my parents made a big commitment and a big sacrifice to the family to get me to training and to get me to games from 11 years of age, four nights a week and Saturdays and Sundays.

“They did that not because they wanted to see me play in the NRL, but because they saw that one of their sons was passionate about something.”

Graham’s brother, sister-in-law and their two children were also at the match, and the 33-year-old said afterwards that his siblings had also had to make sacrifices for him to play at the level he did, which included representing England Under 16s.

“A lot of the time dad was busy ferrying me around the north-west of England so they missed out on some dad-time and mum had to pick up the pieces sometimes when we were travelling a lot,” he said.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Titans

“It has been quite overwhelming. I am quite an emotional character so when I was going out in the tunnel and I saw my missus and two kids I had to look down. I don’t even know why, I see them every day. It is a weird thing that emotion can sometimes overtake you.”

Dragons players players were relieved that they were able to celebrate Graham’s 400th premiership appearance, centre Euan Aitken’s 100th NRL match and Jackson Ford’s debut with a win.

Captain Gareth Widdop revealed that team-mates used Graham’s achievement to spur themselves on after the Titans fought back to trail 36-28 with 14 minutes remaining in the match.

“Obviously we spoke about turning up today for a number of reasons and not letting those blokes down,” Widdop said.

Graham addresses crowd, throws shade at Latimore

“It was really important, for a bloke who guys out there every weekend and gets bashed pillar to post but turns up – you know what you are going to get from him – you need to reward him for what he has done all year and what he has done his whole career.

“He has played with some heart and some courage and it is just pleasing to get that win. There was a lot to play for today. He has been great for the game of rugby league in general and he is a good mate of mine so I was so pleased we could get the win for him.”

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said Graham would leave a legacy at the club with his work ethic after his career is finished, which won’t be until at least after next season as he has taken up an option in his contract.

“It’s just the effort areas around the game that he brings, and he doesn’t bring it in any other way except through his effort and grit and perseverance," McGregor said.

"If you look at any pictures of his career, he's always that bloke coming from the inside from somewhere to stop that try or push that person into the corner."

Sharks v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 22 clash?

Sharks v Dragons What will be the result of their round 22 clash?
  • Sharks 1-10
    0%
  • Sharks 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...te-to-parents-after-surprise-visit-for-400th/

Hard Yards

Juniors
I actually hope they lap us....A win gets us closer to the 8 and the Board will deem this season a success based on the disruptions............
with respect, this game and a win, is not about the board or the retention of the coach, it is about supporting my team and wanting them to beat in the sharks, a club who over many seasons have treated the v with contempt, I have not forgotten the behaviour of a sharks director who after a derby grabbed an ex SGI players tie and cut it with a pair of scissors in a very heated exchange. It typified the habit and attitude of the directors then and to a large extent now. WE TURN UP TO WIN, and put a big score on them at that. The rest will look after itself. This is a game to take personally, we all should, and I think the players will as well even if they don't state it.

with respect, this game and a win, is not about the board or the retention of the coach..

But it is, no matter how you would like to spin it otherwise. This game and every game is primarily about the board and the retention of the coach. For so long as the club remains in the administrative gutter, everything else, like 400 game celebrations and local derby's, is a side show.

Straight Shooter

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-1gp_5334.jpg

INJURIES

Sims season cut short following surgery
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 12 Aug 2019, 07:26 PM

St George Illawarra Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth has provided the following injury update on Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims.

"Tariq underwent successful groin surgery in Sydney on Monday, "Pickworth said. "The timeframe for recovery unfortunately means he will not play again in season 2019.

"Tariq will rehabilitate over the off-season and be ready to play come the commencement of the 2020 NRL premiership."

Red V members and fans will be provided a further update on Sims's condition in our Westfund High Performance Update later this week.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/12/sims-season-cut-short-following-surgery/

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp_1nh_5913.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day information: Round 22 v Sharks
Author
Timestamp
Mon 12 Aug 2019, 03:27 PM

Cronulla Sharks v St George Illawarra Dragons
Sunday, August 18th
Pointsbet Stadium

Women in League Round

Broadcast – Channel Nine and Fox League
Live streamKayo

Gates open: 1:30pm
Jersey Flegg – Sharks v Dragons: 1:35pm
NRL – Sharks v Dragons: 4:05pm

TICKETING

Ticketek.com.au or call 13 28 49

RED V MEMBERSHIP

As this is an away game, Red V members are unable to use their membership cards for access.

All Red V members are able to access a 10 per cent discount on pre-purchased tickets in the Reserved Away Bay 105-1.

Check your emails or member card for further details. Buy your tickets from Ticketek.

MERCHANDISE

The Dragons merchandise van will be attending, grab your game day gear with 30 per cent of all X-Blades apparel.

TRANSPORT

Train

Trains between Sutherland and Cronulla will run every 15 minutes on game day. The closest station to Shark Park is Woolooware Station.

Sydney Trains have increased their service offering; maximum wait time of 15 minutes.

All ticketed patrons (casual tickets or members) receive complimentary travel on the Sydney Trains network to and from the match. Those taking advantage of the integrated ticketing do not need to tap on or off when using.

Buses

A free shuttle bus to Shark Park will run from 17:15 every 15 minutes to help get patrons to the game.

Return services from the stadium will run from NRL full-time for one hour running every 15 minutes. The last bus will leave from the front of the stadium at 22:30.

Buses will run on a loop between Woolooware and Cronulla stations and the venue. As well as a bus servicing Caringbah station as well.

Woolooware Station is only 1.2km from Shark Park and is a pleasant 15-minute stroll.

Taxi

A taxi rank is located out the front of Sharks Leagues Club. A complimentary phone service is located at Sharkies Leagues Club reception.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/12/game-day-information-round-22-v-sharks/

Angela Smith

Juniors
Disagree with those looking for the win.. The board gave the dragons a pass mark when we were higher on the ladder. We can't come last but I hope the doggies keep winning and we keep losing so we can come second last.. I love the dragons. The coaches record is terrible and I want him gone. This year is a rideoff so a few more losses won't hurt..

The crowd last week was pathetic. Hopefully management noticed. We won 2 games by 1 point. We are on par with the titans but they sacked their coach. Mary is a protected species unfortunately... Makes me so sad.. Our promising juniors are leaving and no-ones coming in 2020 so same same for the next 2 years..

Cronulla by 20

Belta

Juniors
Disagree with those looking for the win.. The board gave the dragons a pass mark when we were higher on the ladder. We can't come last but I hope the doggies keep winning and we keep losing so we can come second last.. I love the dragons. The coaches record is terrible and I want him gone. This year is a rideoff so a few more losses won't hurt..

The crowd last week was pathetic. Hopefully management noticed. We won 2 games by 1 point. We are on par with the titans but they sacked their coach. Mary is a protected species unfortunately... Makes me so sad.. Our promising juniors are leaving and no-ones coming in 2020 so same same for the next 2 years..

Cronulla by 20

Yep, I wish Mary would ‘ride off’ into the sunset and never return. But It’s abundantly clear that ain’t happening, not now or anytime soon. Most of us do unfortunately agree that we have to go really bad to have any chance of seeing any admin changes or undertaking any genuine reviews what’s really going on in Dragons Land. So we are trying to support a team knowing that a win is actually a loss in a round a bout way.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, its team list Tuesday and tbh I wont expect too much change from the norm.
I expect Kaufusi will not play and Sims is out but it will only trigger a reshuffle in the forwards. Something like this:

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Ford (but more likely Host)
13. Lawrie
14. Lap it up some more
15. Kerr
16. Leilua
17. Sailor

I think Timm will he overlooked again.

Backline wont change.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Cronulla by 20

Nicely summed up Angela- Logic, common sense and every other form of successful thinking seem to be absent from the SGI Board so only pressure from and being embarrassed by the media and fear of losing revenue from members and sponsors will move them to sack Mary. If we lose the next four on the bounce, the pressure, embarrassment factor and revenue loss may reach the unbearable level.

So, its team list Tuesday and tbh I wont expect too much change from the norm.
I expect Kaufusi will not play and Sims is out but it will only trigger a reshuffle in the forwards. Something like this:

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Ford (but more likely Host)
13. Lawrie
14. Lap it up some more
15. Kerr
16. Leilua
17. Sailor

I think Timm will he overlooked again.

Backline wont change.

I would like to see Mary select this team today.
1. Norman
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Rav
6. Widdop (c)
7. Hunt
8. Timm (get him in and start him against a big Sharks pack).
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Ford
13. Simms
14. Graham
15. Lawrie
16. Kerr
17. Leilua

If zero injuries rotate all middle forwards to keep fresh and get back to winning the ruck.
We win the middle then players like Lafai actually look good. When we are terrible in the middle the backs are the worst in the comp.

instead Mary will stick with Aitken & Lats and probably drop Ford after his 8 minutes.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With our CC team having the bye this upcoming weekend, it would be the perfect time to 'test' some of our players who are on the fringe of selection, particularly for next year.
However, I'm positive Plodimore will play because its against his old team, and another notch on the farewell tour.

If it were me, I'd look at resting Graham for starters, his legs can barely lift off the ground nowadays. If Lomax is fit, play him at fullback (if thats his calling for next year), move Norman to centre in place of Lafai, given he's a left footer. Move Rava to right centre and give young Sailor a chance on the wing.
Crazy isn't it.

1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Rava
4. Norman
5. Sailor

Bring Timm in for Graham, Ford to start at left edge and Kerr on the bench.

Maybe i'm thinking too much!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
simst-1gp_5334.jpg

INJURIES

Sims season cut short following surgery
Author
Timestamp
Mon 12 Aug 2019, 07:26 PM

St George Illawarra Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth has provided the following injury update on Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims.

"Tariq underwent successful groin surgery in Sydney on Monday, "Pickworth said. "The timeframe for recovery unfortunately means he will not play again in season 2019.

"Tariq will rehabilitate over the off-season and be ready to play come the commencement of the 2020 NRL premiership."

Red V members and fans will be provided a further update on Sims's condition in our Westfund High Performance Update later this week.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/12/sims-season-cut-short-following-surgery/

Well, that's one op the coach won't have to worry about............ he's got no balls!

getsmarty

Immortal
preview_rd22_8-sharks-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Sharks v Dragons: Round 22 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 12 Aug 2019, 08:01 PM

The Sharks might've got caught up listening to last week's pre-game talk that they were good things to beat Penrith.

The Panthers had other ideas, establishing a commanding 26-4 lead and doing enough to claim a 26-20 triumph after Cronulla's late revival.

It was the kind of loss that could prove costly for the Sharks when the dust settles after the final round.

The Dragons finally gave their win-starved fans something to celebrate last week and their final four games could have a significant impact on coach Paul McGregor's future with the club.

Match: Sharks v Dragons

Round 22 - Sunday 18th August

4:05pm

Home Team

Sharks

9th Position

Away Team

Dragons

14th Position

Venue: PointsBet Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
The forwards should cancel each other out for the most part, which should ensure the spotlight falls on the battle of the halves. Cronulla duo Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend weren't at their best last week and they have a tough challenge against Dragons pair Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop.

For the Sharks to win
More starch in defence and more spark in attack. They had it in patches in last week's loss to the Panthers and need to deliver for 80 minutes as they did in round 20 against the Rabbitohs. It's a local derby so the Sharks should know what to expect from their long-time rivals.

For the Dragons to win
Last week's win over the Titans should make for a better mood at training this week and they can take a nothing to lose, everything to gain approach. The Dragons would love to put a big dent in the Sharks' finals hopes and they're capable of an upset if stars like Hunt, Widdop, Corey Norman, Tyson Frizell and Cameron McInnes all play to their potential on the same day.

Brett Kimmorley says
The Dragons won last week, but they also leaked a lot of points against an ordinary Titans side. They will need to be better. This is big brother against little brother – form can go out the window in matches like this. Cronulla were pretty poor last week with energy and execution. This is a must-win game for the Sharks. Matt Moylan’s return will really help Cronulla with their creativity. Sharks by 2

Stat Attack
Sharks halfback Chad Townsend is always sniffing around in support on the field, so much so that he leads the NRL in support play (325). On the negative side Sharks utility back Josh Dugan has committed a league-high 34 errors.

And another thing ...
The Dragons played 10 games before going down 22-9 to the Sharks in round 11. They've played nine games since that Sunday afternoon in Wollongong and coach Paul McGregor will be curious to see what his team has learned. The Dragons led 9-8 at half-time in that match but were scoreless in the second half. Teenage centre Bronson Xerri starred with a hat-trick of tries for the visitors.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/13/sharks-v-dragons-round-22-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
norman.jpg

DRAGONS

Stat attack: Round 22 v Cronulla
Author
Timestamp
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 02:05 PM

The Dragons are preparing for a local derby against Cronulla-Sutherland on Sunday, with the match to take place in Sharks territory.

However, having the home ground advantage hasn't benefited the Sharks in recent times, with the Dragons winning four of their past five matches at Pointsbet Stadium.

Overall, the Dragons also claim a slightly better record, winning 22 of 44 matches against Cronulla, leaving 20 wins for the Sharks with two draws thrown into the mix.

Cronulla boasts a better attacking ranking (seventh) and defensive ranking (10th), compared to the Dragons' (11th attack; 15th defence) this season.

The Dragons start to make some ground up on their opposition in discipline and control, boasting a season completion rate of 76 per cent compared to Cronulla's 73 per cent.

The Sharks have the league's worst discipline (241 errors).

Danger man
Shaun Johnson

After flying across the ditch to Cronulla this season, Shaun Johnson has become the spark to the Sharks' attack.

As one of the most lethal attacking players in the competition, the former Golden Boot winner has rediscovered his attacking ways in recent weeks.

Johnson put a mid-season form slump behind him to produce six try assists and three line breaks in his past four appearances. On top of his three tries, 10 forced dropouts and 12 line break assists for the season, Johnson is one the Dragons will need to contain on Sunday.

James Graham surprised by parents after 400th first-grade match

Key match ups
Corey Norman v Josh Dugan

Two vastly different fullbacks with different strengths will square off in this entertaining face-off.

Norman and Dugan are both representative players but are far from similar. Dugan is one of the most damaging ball runners in the competition, highlighted by his impressive 16 tackle breaks against the Panthers last week. However, Dugan is prone to making mistakes and has committed the most errors of any player in the league (34).

Norman on the other hand can create a try-scoring opportunity out of nowhere and is always a threat with the ball in hand. Averaging 140 metres in his past three matches and his season tally of 12 try assists confirms Norman's attacking potential.

Tyson Frizell v Wade Graham

Teammates in both New South Wales Australian camps but on Sunday, Frizell and Graham on their day are their respective teams most influential players.

An injury affected year has seen Graham only return to the NRL with five matches so far this season. Since recovering from injury, Graham has collected three line breaks and one try in his brief time back.

Frizell has been one of the most consistent forwards in the Dragons' line up this season with 508 tackles, 1545 running metres, 11 offloads and an impressive 68 post contact metres last round against the Titans.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/13/stat-attack-round-22-v-cronulla/

Latest posts