What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA rolling out mandatory British Standard helmets for all cricket

Cricket Australia is "recommending" to all clubs nationally to roll out the British Standard for helmets when batting, wicket keeping up at the stumps, and fielding within 7m of the wicket. This would be for the upcoming 2019/20 season.

https://www.community.cricket.com.au/clubs/policies/helmets

https://www.community.cricket.com.au/clubs/policies/helmets/catalogue

I am in a bit of a pickle here as, since Albion stopped mass producing helmets, no-one makes a helmet in my bucket headed size (besides, all Albion helmets past and present apparently don't meet the British Standard). I own 2 helmets, a Kookaburra Pro 600 (doesn't fit right) and a Forma Test Plus (fits okay-ish), but again these aren't up to the British Standard. The only company that seems to make helmets beyond 62cm is Ayrtek, but I'd have to hock out over $200, and wouldn't be able to try before I buy.

I agree with this rule for Juniors, which has been the case for over a decade now. But I think making senior cricketers adhere to it is taking it too far.

For those who are still playing, what are your thoughts on this?

Timbo

Staff member
I’ve wondered for a while if a baseball style helmet with the optional full guard could work (see attached file).

Doesn’t cover the eyes, protects the jaw.

Attachments

• 4FB5995E-C6B1-44FF-83F2-470A0B0FC09E.jpeg
    4FB5995E-C6B1-44FF-83F2-470A0B0FC09E.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9

Bazal

Post Whore
Ridiculous for mine.

I've always worn a lid thanks to my parents carrying on about all the money they spent on my teeth as a kid. Now I can't bat without one. Given I haven't got much of a pull shot I'm honestly mostly worried about hitting the ball into my own face, lol. But as an adult the choice should always be with the player IMO

Otherwise how would 4C posters demonstrate how tough they are on this forum??

Bazal

Post Whore
I wear a helmet no grill. I can't see through the grill. Whatever the best standard for safety should be adopted but helmet still needs to be comfortable.

I have this issue. Most standard fits apart from one or two Shrey builds sit so that the grille is across my eyes. And they can't be adjusted. Useless. My old Albion was great, I could adjust the grille...yeah a ball fit through but I only ever got hit once by a beamer. I could see so much better

And now you can't even take the grille off.

Timbo

Staff member
Sorry, I realised I missed something in an earlier post - when and why did Albion stop making helmets? I always wore one of theirs and found them very comfortable to bat in.

Sorry, I realised I missed something in an earlier post - when and why did Albion stop making helmets? I always wore one of theirs and found them very comfortable to bat in.
I believe they went into receivership for a while. They still have some helmets, but it’s old stock with limited sizes & colours, and only available to order directly from Melbourne. These days they are focused more on hats.

jargan83

Coach
Used to wear a helmet when batting but gave it up years ago.

Never worn one as a wicket keeper, even when up to the stumps to the occasional quicker bowler.

I can probably count the amount of times I’ve been hit on one hand and none of them were a hit to the head.

Having been involved with the committee at both club and association level in the past I hazard a guess and say CA are sending this out due to insurance liabilities?

The insurance thing is my assumption.

I've emailed CA now to find out what bucket headed morons like myself can do when manufacturers don't make helmets that fit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The insurance thing is my assumption.

I've emailed CA now to find out what bucket headed morons like myself can do when manufacturers don't make helmets that fit.

madheadz-ned-kelly-helmet-full-mask-pgmmnh.jpg

Timbo

Staff member
Is it a recommendation or will associations force umpires to implement it?

I gave away club cricket about four years ago, but at that time I'd say only around half the blokes I played with wore lids. One bloke was an absolute mad bastard who used to field at short leg to our new ball bowlers without one. I'm amazed he's still got all of his teeth because they weren't exactly the best at keeping an off-stump line.

I was club captain for the last few years, and the week that Phil Hughes died I asked that all the non-helmet wearing blokes considered starting to do so. Not one changed the way they'd always done things and started wearing a lid.

Bazal

Post Whore
Is it a recommendation or will associations force umpires to implement it?

I gave away club cricket about four years ago, but at that time I'd say only around half the blokes I played with wore lids. One bloke was an absolute mad bastard who used to field at short leg to our new ball bowlers without one. I'm amazed he's still got all of his teeth because they weren't exactly the best at keeping an off-stump line.

I was club captain for the last few years, and the week that Phil Hughes died I asked that all the non-helmet wearing blokes considered starting to do so. Not one changed the way they'd always done things and started wearing a lid.

And are umpires gonna be inspecting them to make sure they're British standard? How does that work for park cricket or lower grade club cricket where players umpire the game?

simmo1

First Grade
Helmets should be mandatory for juniors. Once you hit seniors, it's your choice. They're the norm these days anyway.

Not sure I agree they be 'British Standard'. Seems like another thing for dickhead local umpires to nitpick over. Ive heard stories of kids being told to sit out for not having predominantly white shoes, and I'd hate to see the same shit over type of helmets.

Timbo

Staff member
Helmets should be mandatory for juniors. Once you hit seniors, it's your choice. They're the norm these days anyway.

Not sure I agree they be 'British Standard'. Seems like another thing for dickhead local umpires to nitpick over. Ive heard stories of kids being told to sit out for not having predominantly white shoes, and I'd hate to see the same shit over type of helmets.

I had plenty of park cricket umpires try to tell a player he couldn't play because he was wearing a white shirt and our club had coloured jerseys. It's in the wash mate and we're fourth division park cricket.

We used to get around it by a by-law in the association handbook that said both captains could agree to waive association specific requirements (like uniforms). The umpires would always storm off in a tanty if we did that.

British Standard basically means that the grill is fixed into place (some other BS, but that’s the main thing). So anyone with an adjustable grill is stuffed.

simmo1

First Grade
I had plenty of park cricket umpires try to tell a player he couldn't play because he was wearing a white shirt and our club had coloured jerseys. It's in the wash mate and we're fourth division park cricket.

We used to get around it by a by-law in the association handbook that said both captains could agree to waive association specific requirements (like uniforms). The umpires would always storm off in a tanty if we did that.

Yeah, and yet they'll let blokes play with black skins underneath lol.

You can't even buy white cricket shoes these days! They all have splashes of colour on them.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if we have an Australian Standard for lids ?

If we dont then the BS is probabaly our only option

Latest posts