What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL Logos...

kdalymc

Bench
can anyone tell me if this is 100% from round 1 or was the Optus Logo added in mid 96?arl logos.png
i can find youtube footage from about round 6 with the Optus logo, but nothing earlier...

also funny to see that in round 1 of 1997 the badge on jersey read "ARL" but the markings on the field were simply "RL" (the 95 logo)

beave

Coach
can anyone tell me if this is 100% from round 1 or was the Optus Logo added in mid 96?View attachment 32192
i can find youtube footage from about round 6 with the Optus logo, but nothing earlier...

also funny to see that in round 1 of 1997 the badge on jersey read "ARL" but the markings on the field were simply "RL" (the 95 logo)

The whole draw in 1996 was the 1995 but flipped the home teams around. Rd 1 all the SL aligned clubs didn’t show up so the opposition got the points, I can’t remember what the outcome was if there was 2 SL clubs supposed to play each other, the warriors broke rank from memory and said they would play in Brisbane so they got the points....... cheeky fruits.

So rd1 there wasn’t a lot of games played, rd2 is where you want to do your looking. Hope that helps. I did a quick google search and rd 2 ARL 1996, the computer game seems to be focused on........ I’m pretty sure the jerseys all featured the optus logo at the start of the season.

beagle

Juniors
At the start of the 1996 season, jerseys had the 1995 ARL logo with seperate Optus and "yes" logos sewn on top and bottom of the logo. Like this, but the Optus logo and yes logo were white on green

ARLOptus-Cup-logo1996.png

Later in season 1996 the green shield was introduced.

kdalymc

Bench
At the start of the 1996 season, jerseys had the 1995 ARL logo with seperate Optus and "yes" logos sewn on top and bottom of the logo. Like this, but the Optus logo and yes logo were white on green

ARLOptus-Cup-logo1996.png

Later in season 1996 the green shield was introduced.
Ok, if true then the Manly retro jerseys sold now as 96 jerseys are flawed as they just have the plain RL logo.
Or not allowed to have the Optus logo? But 97 knights retros have the Optus badge so maybe classic have just stuffed up?

kdalymc

Bench
2 SL clubs supposed to play each other, the warriors broke rank from memory and said they would play in Brisbane so they got the points....... cheeky fruits.
They sent reggies over and took the field, got 2 points.
Good info but doesn't answer my questions...

I'm just trying to identity 95 from 96 jerseys but if the start of the season 96 was identical to 95 logo wise, then impossible to tell

beave

Coach
Ok, if true then the Manly retro jerseys sold now as 96 jerseys are flawed as they just have the plain RL logo.
Or not allowed to have the Optus logo? But 97 knights retros have the Optus badge so maybe classic have just stuffed up?

Classic have probably just stuffed up tbh. They don’t even care about the sleeve sponsors on some of the jerseys, some have them some don’t. The NQ jerseys should have ‘Chill Milk’ on the sleeves but they don’t which is a massive shame tbh. I like accuracy in my jerseys.

kdalymc

Bench
Classic have probably just stuffed up tbh
Ok. Well I can't use them as a source then..

I'm mainly wanting to know.
1 to identify jerseys in general.
2. Alot of crushers jerseys popping up online lately claiming to be 95/96 and unsure which is which.

Also yeah, I always found the 97 Superleague sponsor/jersey dramas humerous but didn't know ARL (may have) had also

Front-Rower

First Grade
can anyone tell me if this is 100% from round 1 or was the Optus Logo added in mid 96?View attachment 32192

The logos above are correct for the years mentioned under each.

grouch

First Grade
1996 was a special year for St George... ergo.. I have a scrapbook. This is from round 2

Attachments

• 19-08-13-15-27-39-439_deco.jpg
    19-08-13-15-27-39-439_deco.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 24

Canard

Immortal
The whole draw in 1996 was the 1995 but flipped the home teams around. Rd 1 all the SL aligned clubs didn’t show up so the opposition got the points, I can’t remember what the outcome was if there was 2 SL clubs supposed to play each other, the warriors broke rank from memory and said they would play in Brisbane so they got the points....... cheeky fruits.

So rd1 there wasn’t a lot of games played, rd2 is where you want to do your looking. Hope that helps. I did a quick google search and rd 2 ARL 1996, the computer game seems to be focused on........ I’m pretty sure the jerseys all featured the optus logo at the start of the season.

From memory the Warriors didn't "break ranks" their ownership set-up was such that they could be personally sued by the ARL for forfeiting and had to be seen to play (I believe the SL club's condoned this)

This was the only SL v SL game for the round I understand

kdalymc

Bench
There are some pictures in the yearbook of that year with the logo I mentioned. Some clubs must have been slower to get jerseys with the shield.

Do we think retail jerseys had the green Optus shield from day 1?
E.g if someone claims to have a 96 jersey but no shield is it definitely a 95 instead?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
These two images were both from 1996, but have a look at the differences in the logos.

l_1996%20signature%20gold%20common%20card0004_.jpg

l_1996%20signature%20gold%20common%20card0117_.jpg

The second image Id say was later in the year post Origin.

Once the second logo was introduced, there were still teams wearing the previous one, like in this image

1f83d5ad4f6bd0ad0a41eb705aac2e0e

Diesel

Coach
1FA203F9-8F0A-49AD-8A40-95241D388B07.jpeg

This is an early 1996 Warriors jersey. No badge, just sewn on OPTUS and yes.

The Warriors changed from Canterbury to Lenco in 1996. Not sure why, could’ve been because Nike were in charge of SL jerseys and they dropped Canterbury at the end of the 1995 season.

Perhaps the SL clubs were a little slow getting the full badge

Diesel

Coach
Winfield was always ending at the end of 95, so I’m not sure if Optus was lined up earlier, or tried to take advantage late after the SL war started.

I’m guessing Optus signed on after the 96 jerseys were made which is why the two Optus and Yes logos were sewn on in haste and the badge logo replaced the earlier season logo.

To answer the OP’s question, the two patches sewn on and the 96 badge are both correct

PARRA_FAN

Coach
From memory the Warriors didn't "break ranks" their ownership set-up was such that they could be personally sued by the ARL for forfeiting and had to be seen to play (I believe the SL club's condoned this)

This was the only SL v SL game for the round I understand

Only 4 games were played that first round, all ARL Teams

Friday night, Illawarra Vs Wests, Saturday afternoon, Roosters Vs Tigers (Fittler's first game in the Tri colours), Saturday night, Gold Coast Vs Norths (First game under the new Chargers franchise) and Manly Vs Souths.

The Warriors were the only Super League team to be awarded points as mentioned flew a team of no names to Brisbane, (Could you imagine if the Broncos turned up) whereas one other game, Bulldogs Vs Cowboys was cancelled, no points awarded to either team.

I could be wrong but I think when Optus Vision had this big launch in the pre season they thought they were going to have a big match like Broncos Vs Warriors or Cronulla Vs Newcastle, with teams forfeiting and the ARL forced to re-schedule matches, Optus was left with Gold Coast Vs Norths to kick off Rugby League on Pay TV.

Canard

Immortal
These two images were both from 1996, but have a look at the differences in the logos.

l_1996%20signature%20gold%20common%20card0004_.jpg

l_1996%20signature%20gold%20common%20card0117_.jpg

The second image Id say was later in the year post Origin.

Once the second logo was introduced, there were still teams wearing the previous one, like in this image

1f83d5ad4f6bd0ad0a41eb705aac2e0e

Willie Carne denoted as a fullback??

beagle

Juniors
Do we think retail jerseys had the green Optus shield from day 1?
E.g if someone claims to have a 96 jersey but no shield is it definitely a 95 instead?

I recall buying a Parra jersey in 1996 and it only had the Australian RL logo. I had the Optus and yes logos added.

Latest posts