What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 22
Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers
Suncorp Stadium, Milton (TICKETS)
Friday 16 August 2019

TL-BRI19.png

1. Anthony Milford
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Darius Boyd
7. Jake Turpin
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Tevita Pangai
13. Joe Ofahengaue

Interchange
14. James Segeyaro
15. Thomas Flegler
16. Rhys Kennedy
17. Patty Carrigan

Reserves

18. Herbie Farnworth
19. Matt Gillett
20. Izaia Perese
21. Alex Glenn

TL-PEN20.png

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Stephen Crichton
4. Brent Naden
5. Brian To'o
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Mitch Kenny
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

Interchange
14. Sione Katoa
15. Spencer Leniu
16. Moses Leota
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard

Reserves
18. Dean Whare
19. William Burns
20. Kaide Ellis
21. Hame Sele​

Big Pete

Referee
This is a must win game for the Broncos. With the Rabbits and Eels coming up, they've got to find some momentum especially against a side in a similar place on the ladder.

If this game was being held at a neutral venue, I'd back Penrith every day of the week. The fact it's at Suncorp throws a spanner into the works because it could be enough to inspire the Broncos early or put Penrith off their game.

Seibold is playing it too safe with his selections. Sean O'Sullivan made his return last week in the QCup and the Broncos need at least one legitimate halfback if they want to play finals footy. I fail to see how persisting with Boyd-Turpin will fix the last tackle options, especially since they nearly handed the Cowboys the victory and put themselves under all sorts against Melbourne.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
This is a must win game for the Broncos. With the Rabbits and Eels coming up, they've got to find some momentum especially against a side in a similar place on the ladder.

If this game was being held at a neutral venue, I'd back Penrith every day of the week. The fact it's at Suncorp throws a spanner into the works because it could be enough to inspire the Broncos early or put Penrith off their game.

Seibold is playing it too safe with his selections. Sean O'Sullivan made his return last week in the QCup and the Broncos need at least one legitimate halfback if they want to play finals footy. I fail to see how persisting with Boyd-Turpin will fix the last tackle options, especially since they nearly handed the Cowboys the victory and put themselves under all sorts against Melbourne.

We are 4-4 at home and 5-6 away so unfortunately Suncorp is hardly a fortress.

With the bold part, why does everyone see it except for the coaching staff? To be fair, even with SOS we don't become a premiership threat but it's worth rolling the dice and at the very least help get prepared for next season. Turpin is doing his best but he isn't a halfback and Boyd is barely an NRL standard player in any position. Surely we aren't looking at Turpin-Boyd for next season, it's time to start preparing for the future and including SOS now probably makes us a better team anyway.

Nerd

Bench

With the bold part, why does everyone see it except for the coaching staff? To be fair, even with SOS we don't become a premiership threat but it's worth rolling the dice and at the very least help get prepared for next season. Turpin is doing his best but he isn't a halfback and Boyd is barely an NRL standard player in any position. Surely we aren't looking at Turpin-Boyd for next season, it's time to start preparing for the future and including SOS now probably makes us a better team anyway.
You summed it up perfectly. Going on last weeks performance you would think Penrith will put 12+ on us. Surely it's obvious that the Boyd at 5/8 experiment is a failure.

Big Pete

Referee

I was referring to the Broncos record against Penrith at Suncorp. The Broncos tend to win pretty convincingly against Penrith in these fixtures and that mental edge could just be enough to see them through to victory.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I was referring to the Broncos record against Penrith at Suncorp. The Broncos tend to win pretty convincingly against Penrith in these fixtures and that mental edge could just be enough to see them through to victory.

Bloody hope so mate.

What's this I have been reading about Perese coming off the bench in place of a forward? Seem odd? I'm happy for him to be selected, but he needs to replace Shibasaki, not a bench forward.

Big Pete

Referee
That's the mail according to Chris Garry.

I don't like it either. Friday night is the Broncos last chance to make an impact this season. If they lose this game, they may as well book their Mad Monday plans because they won't be playing finals footy. To bring a rookie in and play him off the bench in an undefined role just seems like such an unnecessary risk that doesn't help anybody. It doesn't help make Shibasaki a more confident player and it doesn't give Perese the confidence to go out there and do a job because he could very well be walking into a situation where the game comes down to him making a big play. He could even find himself playing in the middle, which isn't a good use of him or the team.

It just seems like Seibold has decided the Broncos require more strike and instead of making the common sense decision to trust a young halfback like Sean O'Sullivan, he's instead gone for the calculated risk.

I don't like the idea of playing outside backs on the bench at the best of times. Bellamy gets away with it because he's got Melbourne comfortably leading the competition and has proven his side can handle it. When Wayne Bennett did it with the Broncos in 2017, it made sense because of the fragility of his outside backs and how much it hurt the Broncos the year prior. In a do or die game, with the season on the line, it just seems like Seibold is wasting a bench spot compensating for a lack of direction.

I've probably given it more life than I should have. Realistically, Rhys Kennedy wouldn't have been the difference regardless. I just find it insulting that for a team that needs to make some changes, this is the best he can come up with.

In saying all of that, I am looking forward to watching Perese play. I rate him as a genuine prospect and I had him, Bullemor and Paix down as players who could help turn the Broncos fortunes around moving forward. I just hope he's used properly and not just thrown to the wolves.

DeeJ

Bench
Just more b.s. from Seibold. What happened to us being a team where the halves are handling all ball like he claimed at the start of the season. Our halves probably handle the ball the least. Mind you, keeping it as far away from Darius as possible is the best option.

Nerd

Bench
It was good to get a win but realistically Penrith were woeful in the first half and we really should have put a lot more points on them. Another ordinary game from Boyd but he's untouchable so won't comment anymore on him. Lodge needs to pull his head in with the dumb penalties as he is starting to be good for at least 2 every game at the moment. How good was the Haas try the guy is a machine. How much more dangerous does our attack look as soon as Segeyaro gets on the field.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Great victory
Some incredibly perplexing decisions
Can only whine about them when you win so I’m taking my opportunity
3 winnable games ahead but may be missing tpj and milf
Gillette and glen to return though
Can enter the finals with a wet sail if we continue to tough out games like that

Latest posts