What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

I wish we could buy that fully leaded ultra premium mega-octane “ super” Amoco now.

There was no doubt that final filter captured every last impurity.

For the kids at home, if you put this gear into say a modern day hybrid corolla, it would wipe the floor with a w1 commodore easily.

When petrol hit 15 cents a litre, there was almost a riot.

In those days people rioted.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I used to put toluene (about 8 litres per tank) into my trusty old HQ 202 Kingswood. Free of charge courtesy of work.

Almost 70 kmh in first and about 115 in second thanks to the three speed Traumatic transmission.

Nothing like 116 RON octane in the old crate.

I used to put toluene (about 8 litres per tank) into my trusty old HQ 202 Kingswood. Free of charge courtesy of work.

Almost 70 kmh in first and about 115 in second thanks to the three speed Traumatic transmission.

Nothing like 116 RON octane in the old crate.

Three on the tree.

Grandma had a Chrysler Regal Push button automatic in those old nswtc green/beige colours.

She lived right on the beach and let bikies camp in her garden a few times.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Three on the tree.

Grandma had a Chrysler Regal Push button automatic in those old nswtc green/beige colours.

She lived right on the beach and let bikies camp in her garden a few times.
Nah....it was an automatic.

Later I had a three on the tree Belmont which I managed to snap the first gear/reverse linkage requiring a steering column from the wreckers.

The day after I fixed, some merkin stole it, smashing the steering column in the process. Oh well.......

axl rose

Bench
Anyone else grow up in the country/Nothern Rivers? This and ABC was all we had. Which, looking at all the garbage on digital channels now, was perhaps enough.

My favourite VHS tape had “basketball 1992 olympics Lithuania v Venezuela”
Written on the label, but a much more exciting movie was actually on it, it was a good way to make sure nobody would pick it up and play something that didn’t need to be seen by others in the household :grin:

Basic Instinct? I was one of 6 kids. If you got what was written on the VHS it was miracle. I had the movie Naked Souls starring Pamela Anderson, quality that.

220px-Nakedsouls.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else grow up in the country/Nothern Rivers? This and ABC was all we had. Which, looking at all the garbage on digital channels now, was perhaps enough.

I was one of 6 kids. If you got what was written on the VHS it was miracle.

Those graphics be way too fast and modern for my comprehension, but I can understand your regret of them being replaced with “ Frypan Avenger- celebrity egg cook off with Scott Cam and special guest Amanda Keller.

Back in the days, shows featuring this guy taught us everything we needed to prepare us for modern day Australia.

B6CF99BD-B6EF-411F-BA49-8480A98B301B.jpeg
The blinking of the lightbulb and his earnest expression makes a lot more sense and is much more meaningful and significant than anything I’ve seen on tv for about 40 years.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Amaco Petrol ads from the early 70s, these two jingles were available on a red vinyl record which came in Dolly magazine[ my sisters, not mine lol ]. I actually have the first song downloaded on my ipod now.

The Amaco song came up on my IPOD at work last night and while I was serving a customer he said, I know this song but trying to remember what it is and then suddenly he went OMG, it's the Amaco ad from the 70s, he was almost in tears as he hadn't heard it since then, glad I made someone's day in the horrible place I work at and it actually made me feel good inside as I have had other customers comment that is good to hear cheerful music in the shop again.( ABBA and the Grease soundtrack pop up a bit ) :blush:

3D0EB6AD-D054-4935-BE36-9FC0DA4B9E34.jpeg 22A04C2B-C36C-4EBF-A65C-6EEE2A411813.jpeg A88BDF8C-04CB-43E9-9CBD-5D46B65DDF3C.jpeg
From the greatest Australian tv ad ever made.

Back in the day kids, people were a lot happier and friendlier than they are today.

There was a lot less paranoia and general hate.

Women were much more respected. They were far less depressed and had less cats.

Zadar

Juniors

Basic Instinct? I was one of 6 kids. If you got what was written on the VHS it was miracle. I had the movie Naked Souls starring Pamela Anderson, quality that.

220px-Nakedsouls.jpg

I remember the little tab you snapped off the video tape so it could be taped over.

The x videos already had that tab off, so no chance of getting recorded over, all you had to do was make up your own label and stick it on the front.

The best is hiding something when it is in front of everyone, not where your siblings think stuff was hidden.

Old mate from school, he got a job at the local record shop.

For $10, you’d get the latest Midnight Oil album, a couple of guitar picks and $15 change.

I lived in the country for a few years and I had a friend who had a “ car dog”.

That’s a small terrier thing that used to join her and the boys for long road trips. That’s why she they got it.

Five or six people and the dog used to pack into a peach coloured two door Hyundai excel and travel for 1000s of kms. They had that annoying warning light at the back that was always too bright. The only attention it drew was abuse as people drove past them.

Everybody would get completely smashed on those trips except the driver. They did Tamworth and all that. They probably largered up old woofy too.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
The Amaco song came up on my IPOD at work last night and while I was serving a customer he said, I know this song but trying to remember what it is and then suddenly he went OMG, it's the Amaco ad from the 70s, he was almost in tears as he hadn't heard it since then, glad I made someone's day in the horrible place I work at and it actually made me feel good inside as I have had other customers comment that is good to hear cheerful music in the shop again.( ABBA and the Grease soundtrack pop up a bit ) :blush:
The final filter was nothing but a gimmick,of course.