What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

BxTom

Bench
The club should really be looking at the refs it has a bad record with a trying to address it. No point just getting upset with the ref, they need to consider the interpretations those refs are making and how they can possibly adjust.
I thought the we already had Klein at our training?

OldPanther

Coach
The Klein stuff probably comes from two things. Our record with him, but also the fact his father played for us and got punted. I don’t buy it, but it is interesting our record could be so poor with him in charge. It’s likely to do with how he interprets the rules & our poor discipline. That’s not to say he hasn’t made bad calls against us.

Although I think it’s a little surprising they’d put him in charge of a panthers game so soon after the tunnel incident.

Statistically speaking a 24% record is odd. That’s not just random chance, there’s something going on there. But it doesn’t mean he’s doing it on purpose.

The thing is people are being very simplistic about it all. Look at our last game with him. We won the penalty count, we had the better speed in the ruck and more ball in their 20m and couldn't win. No one is going to acknowledge Panthers lost that on their own with multiple people from the club saying our attack isn't good enough. Everyone is just looking at the % and freaking out.

betcats

Referee
Refs are people, they can easily have bias just like fans. Our winning record on face value under Klein is concerning, needs deeper research to draw real conclusions though. The fact the broncs over 60 percent with the same ref is just as concerning if not moreso on face value.

I’ll tell you this I lose a lot of incidence when I Klein is reffing us.

betcats

Referee
The thing is people are being very simplistic about it all. Look at our last game with him. We won the penalty count, we had the better speed in the ruck and more ball in their 20m and couldn't win. No one is going to acknowledge Panthers lost that on their own with multiple people from the club saying our attack isn't good enough. Everyone is just looking at the % and freaking out.

Using one game as example of anything over a record spanning years is being simplistic Oldy. We win a lot less with Klein reffing us, that’s a fact.

OldPanther

Coach
Using one game as example of anything over a record spanning years is being simplistic Oldy. We win a lot less with Klein reffing us, that’s a fact.

Of course. My point was a bit too subtle sorry. We have to look at why. Are we playing more top teams with him as ref for example? Us as constant mid to low on the table and a 50% or lower win % over seasons with an inability to beat top 4 teams would impact this stuff greatly. I think I have my next research project.

Also I understand people being concerned with a history like this but I just want to see the game first. I will support everyone if there is genuine cause in that game to say we were dudded by the ref. I will even do a video on it if it happens as my way of trying to show I'm reasonable with everyone.

Lastly if he is bias against us why would we get favourable conditions with his as ref last time? It's only one game yes but you'd think if he hated us and was out to get us the little things like ruck speed would go against us.

betcats

Referee
Of course. My point was a bit too subtle sorry. We have to look at why. Are we playing more top teams with him as ref for example? Us as constant mid to low on the table and a 50% or lower win % over seasons with an inability to beat top 4 teams would impact this stuff greatly. I think I have my next research project.

Also I understand people being concerned with a history like this but I just want to see the game first. I will support everyone if there is genuine cause in that game to say we were dudded by the ref. I will even do a video on it if it happens as my way of trying to show I'm reasonable with everyone.

Lastly if he is bias against us why would we get favourable conditions with his as ref last time? It's only one game yes but you'd think if he hated us and was out to get us the little things like ruck speed would go against us.

Yeah they are good points, that's what I meant in my earlier comment when I said it needs deeper research then just the percentage.

As for the bias im not saying he is deliberately and intentionally ripping us off, but bias can be subconscious. Take a 50-50 call in a game and both sets of fans will be sure it should of gone their way. Refs deal with that also.

OldPanther

Coach
Yeah they are good points, that's what I meant in my earlier comment when I said it needs deeper research then just the percentage.

As for the bias im not saying he is deliberately and intentionally ripping us off, but bias can be subconscious. Take a 50-50 call in a game and both sets of fans will be sure it should of gone their way. Refs deal with that also.

I'm at work but I've started looking into it. I will do a video on the results. Hope people have an open mind either way.

mxlegend99

Referee
We are the most penalised team in all 3 grades. Not sure why but there has to more too it
This year we are hated by pretty much everyone. So I dont think the refs or NRL really give a f**k about giving us a fair go.

The neutrals dont really blow up if we get shafted. So i dont think that helps our cause. I think that sways 50/50 calls against us.

Piss off one fanbase vs the majority kind of thing. Not to say we havent got calls in our favour. We just rarely get our share of the 50/50s. At best we can hope to get afew square ups.

For instance we have had some flat at worst passes calledforward. Stopping us from scoring (Dragons fgame specifically). Yet against Sharks we had massive forward passes against us let go which led to them scoring tries. Clearly if we had thrown that pass its called back.

I think the worst of it is actually calls we don't get. Most penalties were deserved. But how often do we not get ones we should? Officials seem reluctant to make decisions that benefit us at times.

Warriors bitch about never getting 50/50s yet against us they got some blatantly wrong decisions in their favour. Then you have the brilliant penalties against us for imaginary strips where the player still had the ball. 'Late hits' which then turn into shoulder charges despite being neither. Thankfully NRL has doubled down on that and is doing it to all the shit teams. Betting we won't see Broncos get a bin for a half a second late hit. Only the ones that truly deserve it are punished and even then probably not during the game. But by the MRC.

forby

Juniors
Since Klein started reffing here:
Overall wins >50%
With Klein <25%
There must be something wrong somewhere!

Fangs

Coach
This would be a great game for a 9 to stamp their authority.

Broncos forwards are young and relentless with the ball in hand but tend to be lazy in defence. Smart play will have us attacking the middle.

I smell a Katoa comeback.

TheFrog

Coach
Is that the game he allowed Rapana to tackle Edwards without the ball leading to a try? We weren't the better side for sure but Klein was just making sure of it.

Fangs

Coach
Re Klein. Gotta go deeper on stats as Betcats said.

Say for instance Klein refs our games against top 4 teams. No wonder we win so little, we haven't been truly competing with the best teams the last few years. Just another also ran club who isn't good enough to win.

I'd like a breakdown v opponent + their end of year ladder position.

OldPanther

Coach
Is that the game he allowed Rapana to tackle Edwards without the ball leading to a try? We weren't the better side for sure but Klein was just making sure of it.

We also got away with a 2 on one strip. But he was cheating for the Raiders!

At first glance we seem to have a good record under Atkins. Guess he's a Panthers fan.

OldPanther

Coach
Re Klein. Gotta go deeper on stats as Betcats said.

Say for instance Klein refs our games against top 4 teams. No wonder we win so little, we haven't been truly competing with the best teams the last few years. Just another also ran club who isn't good enough to win.

I'd like a breakdown v opponent + their end of year ladder position.

I will have it for you after work. I've got the basic data but want to get more before presenting the info.

age.s

First Grade
I didn't think the reffing vs the Raiders was that bad, though it was notable that the whistle disappeared in the second half after the "tunnel altercation".

And by that I mean the reffing was bad, but it wasn't one sided. We copped some lucky calls as well.

Panther Mick

Juniors

I don't think the ref has it in for us (though some are incompetent) but all referees have different interpretations and styles.

Some referees keep strict 10 metres others not so. Some left let the defenders hold down a little longer, others are more stricter making harder to reset defensive lines. Thereby incurring penalties.

Something to look into maybe Klein's style doesn't suit ours?

Latest posts