What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronks comment on training

T-Boon

Coach
He admited on a show I was watching through the week that at the teams he has played with training is 70% focused on defense and 30% on attack. This is the 2 leading teams in the comp with most of the attacking talent.
I've got to be honest, this shows up on the playing field. It is a good explanation for why defense has continued to strangle attack for so long and why the referee has become the most influential creator of opportunities on the field.
I think if a club goes out and recruits the best halfback and fullback in the game they should feel a bit of an obligation to contribute towards the entertainment of the game.
The point is if Melbourne and Roosters are working on defence almost twice as much as they are working on attack what chance do we have of the code addressing the current issues we have. Something has to be done.

Cockosh

Juniors
I think if a club goes out and recruits the best halfback and fullback in the game they should feel a bit of an obligation to contribute towards the entertainment of the game.
The point is if Melbourne and Roosters are working on defence almost twice as much as they are working on attack what chance do we have of the code addressing the current issues we have. Something has to be done.
Storm and Roosters are 1 & 2 respectively as best attacking teams this year. 66 points ahead of raiders who are 3rd. Are you not entertained? So we should stop defending? I thought your other rant about easts surrendering Moore park was ridiculous. This is next level.

T-Boon

Coach
If teams spent as much time working on attack as on defense the game would be in a much better position. Referees would not be as responsible for opportunities. The wrestle would be less dominant.

BadnMean

Juniors
He admited on a show I was watching through the week that at the teams he has played with training is 70% focused on defense and 30% on attack. This is the 2 leading teams in the comp with most of the attacking talent.
I've got to be honest, this shows up on the playing field. It is a good explanation for why defense has continued to strangle attack for so long and why the referee has become the most influential creator of opportunities on the field.

What should be done?
Does there need to be an investigation?

A training % cap? Because I know the two clubs most likely to rort it anyway...

Reactions: Vee

unforgiven

Bench
Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to train at all.
Imagine the entertainment!
I've always regarded training as cheating, kinda like drug use to boost your performance. I really believe, that if the NRL had of done the right thing and banned this terrible behaviour by all clubs in the game, I would have been an immortal. The only thing that stopped me was my laziness and these dirty cheats training to get fitter.

KOMORI

Juniors
I've always regarded training as cheating, kinda like drug use to boost your performance. I really believe, that if the NRL had of done the right thing and banned this terrible behaviour by all clubs in the game, I would have been an immortal. The only thing that stopped me was my laziness and these dirty cheats training to get fitter.
Gorgeous George Rose “likes” this :joy::joy:

Reactions: Vee

T-Boon

Coach
What should be done?

All of the difficult to referee aspects of the game have their roots in what is happening at these training sessions.
The ruck/gang tackles
Decoys/obstruction
Strips

Going back to a 5 metre rule (or some other variation of the “neutral zone” rule) would f**k Bellamy. He would quit.

Cockosh

Juniors
They could never get us for cheating the cap but “Training-Gate” just might be our undoing.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think T-Goon should go into the Roosters and Storm camps and tell the players how they should train. I’m sure Robbo and Bellyache will appreciate his efforts.

T-Boon

Coach
I think T-Goon should go into the Roosters and Storm camps and tell the players how they should train. I’m sure Robbo and Bellyache will appreciate his efforts.

I dont think I am the first to point out that the Storms training tactics are a total disgrace, the majority who like to think about things agree that what they have introduced to the game is over all a negative and that it is a shame the code didnt get on top of it many years ago. When was the last time you heard anyone talk about wrestling without it being in the context of regret. Even those that introduced it are ashamed of it and hence I dont think I have ever heard Bellamy use the word "wrestle".
Some fans have held out hope that some coach will come along who will work out how to attack against these wrestling tactics but then we hear that teams spend the vast majority of their time working on defense and basically attack is an afterthought so what hope is there that change is going to come via the coaches.
Change the rules.

T-Boon

Coach
What should be done?

The game should experiment in lower grades with rules designed to scupper wrestling. It is the 3rd and 4th man into the tackle that is ruining the game.
I think the attacking team should be allowed to kick the living shit out of the 3rd man in.

mave

Coach
Rewarding 1 v 1 legs tackles, instead of discouraging them, would be a simple fix to solve some issues.

Would also lead to potentially more offloads, and more attacking footy.
Reduces the wrestle.
Encourages more tackles away from the attackers head.