What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Western_Eel

Juniors
What a load of BS!
You really know how to twist things to suit yourselves don’t you!
It is hard to debate with those who have what they want and don’t give a stuff about anybody else!
I really shouldn’t let you get to me but you really have no idea about Penrith and the real outer Sydney!
I bet most of you would never have visited the region let alone Panthers Stadium.
I live in penrith and go to more panthers games than eels, i still don't thin it needs an upgrade.
when parramatta stadium lost its hills it lost its soul.

forby

Juniors
I did too, funnily enough I still live in Kingswood now. Still don't think Penrith Stadium should have a new stadium, I would support improvements to the Eastern Stand though.
I have always said upgrade not rebuild.
Cumberland/Parramatta never had a soul! Burnt (Eels) then rebuilt, threaten to burn (WSW) then rebuilt!

DC_fan

Coach
A rather interesting story that appeared in the US Today on 8 August about the shrinking size of MLB (Baseball) crowds and therefore stadiums in the United States.

The saying "if you build it, they will come" may not be relevant in todays sports world. Especially if you are talking about huge stadiums. Maybe Bankwest Stadium could have a capacity of 25,000 and not 30,000. How big is the new Allianz Stadium going to be, and does it have to be that big?

Baseball's future: Declining attendance – and shrinking stadiums to match

For more than a decade, from coast to coast, they rose from urban cores and suburban sprawl alike, feats of architectural perfection that defined the fan experience in Major League Baseball – in perpetuity, it seemed.

The great ballpark building boom that spanned the 1990s and into the millennium’s first decade was a welcome correction from the multi-purpose mausoleums that dotted the landscape in the 1970s. And the billions and billions of dollars expended – much of it coming from taxpayers – to create a more intimate setting felt like a permanent fix.

Yet as the industry discovers the appetite for live baseball may be shrinking, a third wave of stadiums are gradually coming online, revealing franchises' desire to further shrink the ballpark - be it new or already existing.

“The Camden Yards-era ballparks were fitting the bill,” Oakland Athletics president Dave Kaval says of Baltimore’s innovatively retro stadium that opened in 1992. “But that was 20 years ago.”

Kaval is charged with finding a new ballpark for the A’s and the club has progressed significantly on a waterfront project at Howard Terminal, near Jack London Square. Major hurdles remain, most notably Oakland City Council approval of a complicated deal centered on a 34,000-seat stadium.

Since 1989, every major league club save for the A’s and Tampa Bay Rays have inhabited a new or significantly renovated stadium. The Rays’ failed attempt at building in Tampa’s Ybor City aimed for a ballpark with 28,000 seats; they have already reduced capacity at Tropicana Field to 25,000.

The Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers, leaning significantly on public funding that came without taxpayer referendums, ditched parks built in the 1990s for smaller digs framed by the game’s new revenue engine – mixed-use developments at least partially controlled by the team. The Braves are in their third season at SunTrust Park (capacity, 41,000, replacing Turner Field’s 53,000) while the Rangers in 2020 will open Globe Life Field, a retractable-roof facility that will seat 40,000 compared to its predecessor’s 49,000-seat capacity.

Others are on the way.

The Los Angeles Angels are negotiating with the city of Anaheim to fix up 45,000-seat Angel Stadium (last major renovation: 1997) and develop the parking lot; the club has floated the possibility of moving the team to Long Beach, where the ballpark footprint would be significantly smaller.

And the Arizona Diamondbacks can escape their Chase Field lease in 2022 if they build a new stadium within Maricopa County; the team gained that right by agreeing to drop a lawsuit claiming the county owed $187 million in repair and renovations to Chase Field, which opened in 1998.

Failing that, the Diamondbacks could follow the lead of the Rays, Cleveland Indians and others, and simply transform their 48,000-seat stadium into a smaller venue that reflects an environment where attendance across MLB is projected to decline for a fourth consecutive year, mirroring trends in several sports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/08/mlb-attendance-stadiums-future/1941614001/

beave

Coach
baseball teams play too many f**king games. Christ, they can have double headers with the same 2 teams playing each other. They also have games on during the week which is not exactly crowd friendly (i went to a day game in 2001 at the new Giants stadium and it was a wednesday day game). if they lowered the amount of games played, there would be more incentive for people to turn up to more home games.

DC_fan

Coach
baseball teams play too many f**king games. Christ, they can have double headers with the same 2 teams playing each other. They also have games on during the week which is not exactly crowd friendly (i went to a day game in 2001 at the new Giants stadium and it was a wednesday day game). if they lowered the amount of games played, there would be more incentive for people to turn up to more home games.

True. But the MLB has always been like that and it appears that crowds are starting to stay away from games. So why have stadiums that have a capacity of even 30,000 when you know you are never going to fill that stadium on a regular basis.

VictoryFC

Bench
True. But the MLB has always been like that and it appears that crowds are starting to stay away from games. So why have stadiums that have a capacity of even 30,000 when you know you are never going to fill that stadium on a regular basis.

To me downsizing new stadiums isn't the future. Modularity is the future. Design stadiums that can accommodate multiple sports, and that can accommodate different demand. New Tottenham and Atlanta stadiums are the best examples of each of these.

Baseball has a very specific design, so they can't do the former, but they can absolutely do the latter. Build a 40-50k stadium and make it so that you can hide seats based on demand.

I only recently found about this when I was watching MLB highlights. Their was a highlight for a game between the Yankees and someone, and it said it was posted 4 hours ago, and I scrolled down and there was another one posted 8 hours ago. Thinking to myself it was a reupload...nope! 2 games, same teams, same day. F**k me.

I totally agree about MLB attendance. If it was a 1 game a week like most sports, on the weekends, each team would be averaging 40-60k easy if they all had massive stadiums.

unforgiven

Bench
Baseball has a very specific design, so they can't do the former, but they can absolutely do the latter. Build a 40-50k stadium and make it so that you can hide seats based on demand.
The Oakland Raiders and Oakland Athletics still share their stadium, though they are due to relocate to Las Vegas!

axl rose

Bench
Getting a bit off topic here but the average MLB follower is old as well (53) so they have some issues ahead trying to get kids interested.

big hit!

Bench
I know this would never happen in Australia, specifically Sydney given both the size, orientation and significance of the SCG. But I've always found Leed's Headingley stadium pretty interesting given that both fields share essentially the same grandstand.
View attachment 32068
easid-555002-media-id-43838.jpg

I really like the uniqueness of English cricket grounds. They come in different shapes and slopes! Look at the state of the major cricket venues in Oz now - they're all now basically 2-3 tier mega football grounds.

big hit!

Bench
I think people really need to come to terms with the fact that money is not going to council owned grounds like Brookvale, Penrith and Campbelltown.

The money is going to Moore Park and Homebush and nowhere else. It’s about working out how to get maximum bang for buck from here.

That's it. It's for the greater good and 3 major state-owned stadiums with multiple tenants and opportunities for additional events such as concerts is where the money is going.

Individual stadia in places like England are actually owned and operated by the football clubs themselves. That is why each football club in a city like London has its owned stadium. The only club in Sydney that has that is Cronulla. Perhaps if our administrating ancestors had the foresight to govern for the future rather than empire-build, fight among themselves for territory, and focusing on inorganic revenue (pokies), we'd have clubs owning their venues, making attending football matches a priority, and venue situation might be better.

The quest here as always to be making venues larger than what we need. In other parts of the world, stadiums are sold out, driving up the event-status of the sports and so driving organic revenue to invest further.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really like the uniqueness of English cricket grounds. They come in different shapes and slopes! Look at the state of the major cricket venues in Oz now - they're all now basically 2-3 tier mega football grounds.

That’s because we have a very popular footy code that can play out of them, cricket in England doesn’t and rarely gets big crowds so grounds have just slowly been upgraded over a hundred years, hence the mosh mash of design.

DC_fan

Coach
Getting a bit off topic here but the average MLB follower is old as well (53) so they have some issues ahead trying to get kids interested.

true. But in todays digital world are kids interested in going to watch sport on a regular basis or are they more interested in being somewhere else, where they are still able to access the game digitally when they want?

DC_fan

Coach
To me downsizing new stadiums isn't the future. Modularity is the future. Design stadiums that can accommodate multiple sports, and that can accommodate different demand. New Tottenham and Atlanta stadiums are the best examples of each of these.

One thing we have not touched on here is the cost of constructions with bigger stadiums. Take ANZ Stadium for example, obviously it was built with the Olympics in mind, but today when you think that the only times it gets anywhere close to a capacity is the NRL grand final and state of origin which is 2 or 3 times a year you have to ask the question do we need a stadium that holds 80,000 plus. I am no construction expert but I can only imagine a stadium that has a capacity of 65,000 would be a cheaper option and seriously would still meet our needs.

Rooster8

Juniors
Yeah i agree, It's something about the uniqueness of all stadiums in the UK that I love. Not only cricket, but also football stadiums. You have all these traditional grounds such as Old Trafford, St James Park, Stanford Bridge, Odsal Stadium in Bradford, but then you have redeveloped stadium still with a uniquie twist and shape like White Hart Lane, Anfield, Lords, The Oval. I can see Australia building replicas of Bankwest only on bigger scales and shapes such as ovals in the future. I don't mind that, but I do enjoy the uniqueness of UK stadiums

beave

Coach
Pick the absolute worst and have a cry.

It must be so hard to put up with a ground you never even go to.

yeah, the 10 games at Brookvale that I’ve been to when NQ played Manly there over a 15year period, I must have been imagining how shit it is yeah?

Quicksilver

Bench
yeah, the 10 games at Brookvale that I’ve been to when NQ played Manly there over a 15year period, I must have been imagining how shit it is yeah?

Awwwww.

The two hours a year you had to spend there for a football game must have been sooooo hard.

Funnily enough, thousands of people from one of the wealthiest areas in the country seem to be able to put up with it and its charms.

#RiseForBeave

Latest posts