What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronks comment on training

Silent Knight

First Grade
images

Surely none of us deserve that kind of punishment. Do we?

T-Boon

Coach
The over emphasis on defense in the game is probably why we have guys like Nathan Cleary rather than guys like Langer, Sterling etc.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Unless Cooper Cronk can reassure me that the Dow Jones will never go down 800 points ever again i don't care what he says tbh

KOMORI

Bench
The over emphasis on defense in the game is probably why we have guys like Nathan Cleary rather than guys like Langer, Sterling etc.
I think it points more towards the fact that teams tend to train the ad lib out of playmakers. That 30% of attacking goes towards perfecting a bunch of block plays and other pet plays to the point where they become second nature, with a clinical and almost robotic nature of delivery.

Using your reasoning, by increasing the time spent working in this area, the game is played in such a fashion that whilst we *might* see some minor variations in pet plays, all it will really do is increase their efficiency in delivering of said plays.

The next logical step is that coaches work on defensive strategies and formations that nullify said plays, and the spiral continues: it’s the nature of the game and how it’s developed over the last decade or more... coaches know that percentages and defence are what win games, so they concentrate their efforts in these areas.

Pure footballers are both an extremely rare, and poorly coached commodity in today’s game: most guys have it coached out of them in the name of structures, the rest tend to be seen as low percentage players and are seen as a liability as such... so tend to be lost to obscurity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Munster and Ponga would suggest the above isnt strictly accurate. Both play whats in front of them and are being lauded as the best of the current crop.

T-Boon

Coach
I think it points more towards the fact that teams tend to train the ad lib out of playmakers. That 30% of attacking goes towards perfecting a bunch of block plays and other pet plays to the point where they become second nature, with a clinical and almost robotic nature of delivery.

Using your reasoning, by increasing the time spent working in this area, the game is played in such a fashion that whilst we *might* see some minor variations in pet plays, all it will really do is increase their efficiency in delivering of said plays.

The next logical step is that coaches work on defensive strategies and formations that nullify said plays, and the spiral continues: it’s the nature of the game and how it’s developed over the last decade or more... coaches know that percentages and defence are what win games, so they concentrate their efforts in these areas.

Pure footballers are both an extremely rare, and poorly coached commodity in today’s game: most guys have it coached out of them in the name of structures, the rest tend to be seen as low percentage players and are seen as a liability as such... so tend to be lost to obscurity.

In my opinion the 10m rule has been around too long. They have completely worked out how to defend and attack under the 10m rule and everyone is essentially the same. It is the cause of all that goes on in the ruck. It was supposed to result in better football but it has lead to boring predictable style of football.
They should change the 10metre rule or change the rules related to markers (allow 3 or 4 who dont have to be square). The coaches would hate that. Make the coaches play catch up to the rules rather than have the rules trying to keep up with the coaches.
The game was beautiful in the 90s when the 10m rule first came in and they havent worked out how to defend under that rule yet.

KOMORI

Bench
Munster and Ponga would suggest the above isnt strictly accurate. Both play whats in front of them and are being lauded as the best of the current crop.
Same with Tommy Turbo and Tedesco et al... rare, but thankfully not a completely extinct species.

I mean.. Ponga is on the endangered species list, but that’s a whole ‘nother kettle o fish :joy:

KOMORI

Bench
In my opinion the 10m rule has been around too long. They have completely worked out how to defend and attack under the 10m rule and everyone is essentially the same. It is the cause of all that goes on in the ruck. It was supposed to result in better football but it has lead to boring predictable style of football.
They should change the 10metre rule or change the rules related to markers (allow 3 or 4 who dont have to be square). The coaches would hate that. Make the coaches play catch up to the rules rather than have the rules trying to keep up with the coaches.
The game was beautiful in the 90s when the 10m rule first came in and they havent worked out how to defend under that rule yet.
I don’t disagree, but I think I’d prefer to see a carrot rather than a stick, if you catch my meaning.

New rules simply open up grey areas to be exploited by coaches (and, at times, the officials!) whereas gaining a benefit from attacking flair would hopefully see coaches try to expand upon that area of the game, with the fans then benefiting from a more open and attacking game..

How that is done is perhaps a whole new thread, but maybe an extra point for a try scored from your own half and a bonus point system for scoring 4 or more tries as is used in Yawnion..

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t disagree, but I think I’d prefer to see a carrot rather than a stick, if you catch my meaning.

New rules simply open up grey areas to be exploited by coaches (and, at times, the officials!) whereas gaining a benefit from attacking flair would hopefully see coaches try to expand upon that area of the game, with the fans then benefiting from a more open and attacking game..

How that is done is perhaps a whole new thread, but maybe an extra point for a try scored from your own half and a bonus point system for scoring 4 or more tries as is used in Yawnion..

Dig it.