What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The difference between Semi and Sivo is this.

Of course semi is better and you would choose him everyday if all things are equal.

However it could be a risk considering him as a centre - big pay cheque for a position he hasn’t played.

So Comparing him as a winger to sivo, there is probably a $500k p/a deference in their potential pay checks. Not sure considering what Sivo offers / semi will offer, is worth another $500k

Additionally that game is semi after 4 or so years in the NRL and 80 games. Sivo hasn’t even played a full season or had a proper off season so he also has a fair bit of improvement to bridge that potential $500k gap in their contracts.

Then consider what other potential players that $500k could be use it buy - a downgraded offer to Welch ($300k) and a bench hooker in Luke ($200k)

84 Baby

Referee
Of course semi is better and you would choose him everyday if all things are equal.

However it could be a risk considering him as a centre - big pay cheque for a position he hasn’t played.

So Comparing him as a winger to sivo, there is probably a $500k p/a deference in their potential pay checks. Not sure considering what Sivo offers / semi will offer, is worth another $500k

Additionally that game is semi after 4 or so years in the NRL and 80 games. Sivo hasn’t even played a full season or had a proper off season so he also has a fair bit of improvement to bridge that potential $500k gap in their contracts.

Then consider what other potential players that $500k could be use it buy - a downgraded offer to Welch ($300k) and a bench hooker in Luke ($200k)
Why do you need to compare his pay check to Sivo? Or play Semi at centre? I think the obvious move is Fergo to centre/fullback and he can rotate with winger occasionally. The only issues I can see is one of Sivo/Semi would have to move to right, where they may not be as effective/need to adapt (that’s coaching staff decision) and that Semi might command more than we can afford (that’s recruitment decision).
But if you think paying huge contracts to superstars is a negative, Manly say hi. Heck Scum, Rorters and Souffs say hi as well

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how many times do we see Semi or Sivo play up the middle like a middle forward

pick your best 13 and...........well, you know the rest

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why do you need to compare his pay check to Sivo? Or play Semi at centre? I think the obvious move is Fergo to centre/fullback and he can rotate with winger occasionally. The only issues I can see is one of Sivo/Semi would have to move to right, where they may not be as effective/need to adapt (that’s coaching staff decision) and that Semi might command more than we can afford (that’s recruitment decision).
But if you think paying huge contracts to superstars is a negative, Manly say hi. Heck Scum, Rorters and Souffs say hi as well

Because Semi has never played NRL at centre so I wouldn’t consider signing him to play centre on big money as it’s big risk.

So I am looking at his signing as a winger and the winger he would likely replace is Sivo. So thus I am comparing his potential contract to Sivo’s contract.

Ferguson isn’t a centre, he has played for over 10 years and he has been at his best when playing winger. Roosters tried he at fullback and it wasn’t successful. Additionally he has f**k all play making skills.

Have no problem in paying big money for the right player - look at my previous posts, I suggested looking at Jake T.

But just looking at superstars and signing them just because they are available isn’t a good way to build a squad. You need to look at where your weaknesses are and improve those areas.

Yes semi is a great player, and of course he wouId add some spectacular tries to our season, but what would he add to our 2019 side / squad we don’t already have?or need?

- we already have one of the best attacks, which is going to improve. We have 2 rookies in our spine.
- we already have wingers that can ruck it out and score tries
- Blake has now added an X factor to our backline.

Additionally if we signed Semi, along with Ferguson / sivo / gutho we have a lot of rucking out ability but there is only 1-2 tackles each set for it to be done.

I say our biggest issue is defence especially around the ruck and the lack of an “attacking” hooker (not a huge issue, but something I wouId fix before buying a high priced back).

Of course if our wingers were, French , Hoffman , Gennings, ah who remembers 2018, Semi is a perfect option!!

84 Baby

Referee
Because Semi has never played NRL at centre so I wouldn’t consider signing him to play centre on big money as it’s big risk.

So I am looking at his signing as a winger and the winger he would likely replace is Sivo. So thus I am comparing his potential contract to Sivo’s contract.

Ferguson isn’t a centre, he has played for over 10 years and he has been at his best when playing winger. Roosters tried he at fullback and it wasn’t successful. Additionally he has f**k all play making skills.

Have no problem in paying big money for the right player - look at my previous posts, I suggested looking at Jake T.

But just looking at superstars and signing them just because they are available isn’t a good way to build a squad. You need to look at where your weaknesses are and improve those areas.

Yes semi is a great player, and of course he wouId add some spectacular tries to our season, but what would he add to our 2019 side / squad we don’t already have?or need?

- we already have one of the best attacks, which is going to improve. We have 2 rookies in our spine.
- we already have wingers that can ruck it out and score tries
- Blake has now added an X factor to our backline.

Additionally if we signed Semi, along with Ferguson / sivo / gutho we have a lot of rucking out ability but there is only 1-2 tackles each set for it to be done.

I say our biggest issue is defence especially around the ruck and the lack of an “attacking” hooker (not a huge issue, but something I wouId fix before buying a high priced back).

Of course if our wingers were, French , Hoffman , Gennings, ah who remembers 2018, Semi is a perfect option!!
The other thing to consider is Fergo will be 30 next season and has developed some injuries of late.

I wouldn’t go nuts if we can’t sign him but I think he’d fit in somewhere if we did

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If Semi is even semi-available, I’d be incredibly disappointed if the club didn’t put some leg work into the possibility. If that proves he’d unbalance squad or is unaffordable, so be it, given how they’ve operated so far this year I’d trust their judgment.

On the hooker thing, a Kingston clone would be handy, but apart from that anyone know how Schneider is progressing? Could we pop him on bench next season?
Schneider hasn't played in weeks. Still hasn't made his reserve grade debut.

He's either injured or gone.

EelsFan05

Bench
As I get older I always appreciate getting a Semi. But if I was to pick between Semi and Jake T to add to this squad, it would be Jake every day of the week. In the middle of the ruck he is a weapon in defence. He would turn us into a legitimate top four team straight away.

lingard

Coach
Yeah, I agree with you.

Daniel Mortimer played more games, for more try assists, but Brown defends better, had a stronger running game, and has shown maturity with his kicking game.

Dylan Brown is a super, super, super exciting prospect for us - he is an absolute gun, and I've been saying it for years!

You're probably right. We'll see next year.

lingard

Coach
Mortimer had tenacity, good at backing up and a decent kicking game.
Dylan has that and more..much more.
Speed, composure, better defence, bigger, ball player and a runner.
Brown is only going to get better. He is an excitement machine who makes things happen. His top speed is eelectric

Those of you who have seen him in the lower grades know far better than I do. But from what I've seen this year I would certainly not describe him as an excitement machine who makes things happen. Nor have I seen any electric speed. We all thought Mortimer was going to get better, too. I hope this kid does.

Latest posts