What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Disagree. I was one of very few on here calling Mortimer average. I quite clearly remember saying he doesn't seem to put guys in gaps. Just a good support player.
D.Brown is putting guys in gaps and has a far better kicking game. He is also playing in an era 10yrs later where defenses are far better. Yet to see D.Brown throw long cut out passes but he does slide nicely and put guys into space.

Fair enough comments.

Incorrect

Coach
Those of you who have seen him in the lower grades know far better than I do. But from what I've seen this year I would certainly not describe him as an excitement machine who makes things happen. Nor have I seen any electric speed. We all thought Mortimer was going to get better, too. I hope this kid does.
Maybe not electric speed, but that goose step, swerve shimmy thing he put on Norman a couple of weeks back left Normz grasping at fresh air and looking pretty stupid. He did similar v the Tigers I think it was from memory which was pulled back after Mahoney was deemed to have run behind one of our players... I don't think we've seen the kid fully stride out yet to be honest....

Of course semi is better and you would choose him everyday if all things are equal.

However it could be a risk considering him as a centre - big pay cheque for a position he hasn’t played.

So Comparing him as a winger to sivo, there is probably a $500k p/a deference in their potential pay checks. Not sure considering what Sivo offers / semi will offer, is worth another $500k

Additionally that game is semi after 4 or so years in the NRL and 80 games. Sivo hasn’t even played a full season or had a proper off season so he also has a fair bit of improvement to bridge that potential $500k gap in their contracts.

Then consider what other potential players that $500k could be use it buy - a downgraded offer to Welch ($300k) and a bench hooker in Luke ($200k)

Absolutely. This is about winning games. Sign Semi on big $$ means a forward (or two) that we can't sign. But I guess we could be happy whingeing about our forwards and wondering why we haven't signed any better ones.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I reckon Welch won’t get an offer (from us, if we are still interested) until it’s known if his operation was successful, not so much waiting for him to be ready to play. But making sure he hasnt got an infection after the operation, that is the what really lengthens the recovery time or even f**ks up your ability to play at all. And it’s common with knee reconstructions.

It’s only been a few weeks since the operation (guessing he got it done within 1 week of the injury), so I reckon it’s 6 or so weeks maybe more before it’s known if it’s successful or not.

You don’t want to have a player under contract if he is out for the whole year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I remember when I thought Tom Humble would play origin.

I respect you for standing by your convictions, and being man enough to admit you were wrong.

I may be going off a little premature, but I am that confident in him, that I will put myself out there:

Dylan Brown will be New Zealand's next big hope in Test football.

He's playing a back seat role to Moses (and in the form Moses is in, why wouldn't he?), but Dylan Brown has all the tools, imo.

I know he's been solid rather than exciting, but I'm playing close attention to how he handles himself, rather than the plays themselves.

For instance, his kick for Sivo's try against Newcastle the right play, and it was executed with such calmness...it was mind-blowing, to me, to witness a 19-year old ice a game like that.

He is a special talent.

Soto

Bench
I respect you for standing by your convictions, and being man enough to admit you were wrong.

I may be going off a little premature, but I am that confident in him, that I will put myself out there:

Dylan Brown will be New Zealand's next big hope in Test football.

He's playing a back seat role to Moses (and in the form Moses is in, why wouldn't he?), but Dylan Brown has all the tools, imo.

I know he's been solid rather than exciting, but I'm playing close attention to how he handles himself, rather than the plays themselves.

For instance, his kick for Sivo's try against Newcastle the right play, and it was executed with such calmness...it was mind-blowing, to me, to witness a 19-year old ice a game like that.

He is a special talent.
x2