What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v NZ @ WIN Stadium 25 Oct -Tickets on sale/promotion started

Burns

First Grade
Don’t think we ever had a thread on this?

Australia are playing New Zealand as part of the Oceanic Cup on Friday 25 October 2019 at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Tickets went on sale this week, with the Kangaroos posting on social media for the first time in a bajillion years about it.

NRL social media has also been pushing the match with posts and a Facebook event page under the line ‘Our Greatest Test’.

The Jillaroos will also play the Kiwi Ferns before the Men’s match.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cool?

Will back the Kiwis in the match I think. They looked good last year in corresponding match. Australia are still kinda eh in the halves.

Burns

First Grade
Bonus post: The NRL has been promoting this more than any other international I can remember.

However, don’t mention that it’s under the Oceanic Cup because, what’s that again?

Coastbloke

Bench
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Kangaroos match in Australia since the 2017 RLWC Final (almost 2 years) and they plop it at WIN? :confused:

Burns

First Grade
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Kangaroos match in Australia since the 2017 RLWC Final (almost 2 years) and they plop it at WIN? :confused:
They won’t play in Australia next year will they? It’ll be played over in New Zealand before heading off to England.

Stallion

First Grade
Couldn’t this game have been played in Perth or Melbourne instead of Wollongong?

Wollongong is where you play France or the Cook Islands.

Better still: West Sydney stadium or Newcastle stadium. Both with 30000 or more capacity. Still shaking my head how the Kangaroos are not hosting the South Pacific touring British Lions. (Players union support or not! )

Stallion

First Grade
That’s so hard to imagine today and equally so sad to how far the game has fallen.

Yes. Couldn’t agree more. For a scenario whereby a South Pacific touring Lions team is not being hosted for at least one match against the Kangaroos sealed it for me! It's embarassing !

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Yes. Couldn’t agree more. For a scenario whereby a South Pacific touring Lions team is not being hosted for at least one match against the Kangaroos sealed it for me! It's embarassing !
And to rub salt in the wounds just look at all the international RU that’s been taking place this month. Not to mention next month too with the union World Cup.

Stallion

First Grade
And to rub salt in the wounds just look at all the international RU that’s been taking place this month. Not to mention next month too with the union World Cup.

Absolutely. I'm seeing an undermining of the international game in Australia. To me it looks deliberate . The constraining of this great code continues.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Absolutely. I'm seeing an undermining of the international game in Australia. To me it looks deliberate . The constraining of this great code continues.
This. Kind of ironic really at a time when the world is shrinking the NRL and ARL are becoming more and more insular .

Stallion

First Grade
This. Kind of ironic really at a time when the world is shrinking the NRL and ARL are becoming more and more insular .

My gut feeling is that the good guys are not in control . THE GAME IN AUSTRALIA IS BEING CONSTRAINED . Other codes are being invited to take up rugby league's preeminent and deserved position in Aussie sport. It's happening and only some can see it.

yakstorm

First Grade
I imagine they possibly sold this match with the rights to the Nines World Cup to Tourism NSW, and as per a lot of these government deals, they would have asked for the events to have been played at two different venues.

Considering Allianz is out, Bankwest had already been used, it really left Newcastle and Wollongong for this match... Honestly would have preferred Newcastle as it least you're trying to selling 33,000 seats versus 23,000 and honestly we should be working to trying to get the Kangaroos and Kiwis constantly playing in front of 25K+ crowds especially against each other.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Wollongong is a great stadium but ANZAC test should be at 30k minimum.

Glad tickets have gone on sale already
If the idea is to eventually bring a Perth franchise into the NRL then Perth for this game is a no-brainer. Parramatta’s new stadium 2nd or Melbourne storm’s ground.