What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL Logos...

beave

Coach
From memory the Warriors didn't "break ranks" their ownership set-up was such that they could be personally sued by the ARL for forfeiting and had to be seen to play (I believe the SL club's condoned this)

This was the only SL v SL game for the round I understand

Negative mate, we were supposed to play the bulldogs........

beave

Coach
Willie Carne denoted as a fullback??

Pretty sure on a stock standard FB kick return down in wollongong he got folded in half from a high shot from Martin Masella and it sounded the death bell for his RL career. Was a brutal from memory, his head nearly rocked back and touched his feet.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Pretty sure on a stock standard FB kick return down in wollongong he got folded in half from a high shot from Martin Masella and it sounded the death bell for his RL career. Was a brutal from memory, his head nearly rocked back and touched his feet.

My memory ain't what it used to be, but I certainly remember Carne being a shell of himself at the end of his career.

I suspect that CTE might be an issue in older years

kdalymc

Bench
I recall buying a Parra jersey in 1996 and it only had the Australian RL logo. I had the Optus and yes logos added.

ok, well this complicates everything...

Sooo, in closing.
Some teams (in many stages of the season) had varying style badges..

Am i correct in saying tho ALL teams from round 1 had SOME SORT of uptus badge? ie ANY player warn should have something optus?

And, there is no real way (unless jersey/sponsor changed) of telling if a jersey is 95 OR 96,
because retails in 96 were not upgraded with the optus logo until mid (ish?) year...

So old mate with a _____ 96 jersey without optus, COULD have a 96, but could also be a 95..

damn

Classic have probably just stuffed up tbh. They don’t even care about the sleeve sponsors on some of the jerseys, some have them some don’t. The NQ jerseys should have ‘Chill Milk’ on the sleeves but they don’t which is a massive shame tbh. I like accuracy in my jerseys.
Classic absolutely mangled the retro Dragons 1999 jersey. Which is hilarious because they were the manufacturer at that time!

ok, well this complicates everything...

Sooo, in closing.
Some teams (in many stages of the season) had varying style badges..

Am i correct in saying tho ALL teams from round 1 had SOME SORT of uptus badge? ie ANY player warn should have something optus?

And, there is no real way (unless jersey/sponsor changed) of telling if a jersey is 95 OR 96,
because retails in 96 were not upgraded with the optus logo until mid (ish?) year...

So old mate with a _____ 96 jersey without optus, COULD have a 96, but could also be a 95..

damn
I remember that St George always had the full Optus shield in both years. But other teams just had the top & bottom writing, and you still see fans with original jerseys from the time like that (“Sydney” Tigers comes to mind).

yakstorm

First Grade
Manly and Parramatta had the Shield very early on... this photo from March 2016
gary-freeman-of-the-eels-offloads-the-ball-during-a-arl-match-between-picture-id71243112

Crushers had the Optus sticker above and below the ARL logo for their opening Round matches:
trevor-gillmeister-of-the-crushers-offloads-the-ball-during-the-arl-picture-id71215921

Same with the Bears:
david-fairleigh-of-the-bears-looks-to-offload-the-ball-during-the-arl-picture-id71460467

Diesel

Referee
gary-freeman-of-the-eels-offloads-the-ball-during-a-arl-match-between-picture-id71243112

Crushers had the Optus sticker above and below the ARL logo for their opening Round matches:
trevor-gillmeister-of-the-crushers-offloads-the-ball-during-the-arl-picture-id71215921

Same with the Bears:
david-fairleigh-of-the-bears-looks-to-offload-the-ball-during-the-arl-picture-id71460467
I’m assuming Classic has their shit together while M-Sport (I think that was the manufacturer) Canterbury of NZ and Lenco didn’t.

I’d say it was down to the jersey manufacturer

Diesel

Referee
For sure .

the spanner in the works now is that retail jerseys did not have anything saying Optus until at least the first few rounds perhaps
That backs it up as someone earlier got the Optus and yes badge added later on.
Are you wanting to verify a certain jersey is 1996? Could you contact the manufacturer at the time, if they’re still around

kdalymc

Bench
That backs it up as someone earlier got the Optus and yes badge added later on.
Are you wanting to verify a certain jersey is 1996? Could you contact the manufacturer at the time, if they’re still around

im on a few 'fan' pages on facebook and seen some differences in jersey logos as well as people claiming to have 95/96/97 jerseys of certain clubs but the logos not matching up. i was just trying to get to the bottom of it, but i think now we are all more confused..

i also just read the retail versions in 96 (later in the year) ONLY came out with the full green shield whilst some clubs still rocked the 3 seperate badges until well into the season, if not until finals.

i also read about the warriors debarkle- had to scramble to get a manufacturer, as well as funnily enough, using an away jersey many times in the 1st season but not once in 96...

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I think that was just after Chrysler first sponsored the Eels, most of the jersies had the shield around it.

At the end of 95 James Hardie a long time sponsor, ended their association with the Eels, so during the 96 trials, this what they were playing with:

l_1996%20series%20two%20common%20card0104_.jpg

I think most clubs if not all clubs didnt have anything with Optus on it before Round 1 1996, that includes the Gold Coast Gladiators before the ARL took over ownership (correct me if I'm wrong)