What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett to Panthers

Frank Facer

First Grade
For me to make a decent assessment of a coach, I would like to sit down a talk football for hours. I like talking about football and I would probably learn a thing or 2 if I sat down a talked footy with many coaches for hours, I would expect to anyway, but I doubt I would learn much from Mary. We do get to listen to what coaches say in the press conference after the game, but I don't even bother listening to that. We may get a perspective on how coaches see the game on certain Foxsports Rugby League shows, but that would still be very minimal. I also know man management plays a bit role in a coach being successful. I have heard many times that Mary is a good man manager. lol I just don't see how so many people can have such certain ideas regarding coaches. As I have always said, a good coach need the cattle to be a good coach, but some such as Mary still can't succeed with decent cattle, yet Mary still keeps his job. One could make opinions regarding coaches based on the style of play that teams play under those coaches, but again the cattle that a coach has at his disposal may influence the style of play the coach instructs his team to play. One could also make opinions regarding coaches based on the players the coach selects to play or the positions he plays certain players or the players that he ignores and doesn't select.

After saying all of that, I thought of the idea of if I sat down with Jack Gibson and talked footy, would I learn much? From what I saw of Jack Gibson, he was man of few words. I would have had to have be asking a lot of questions. One Gibson's most famous lines was "Do the simple things right". He also said "Do what the opposition doesn't want you to do". He also said "If you have got the best halfback (in reference to Peter Sterling), then you are halfway there"

Last edited:

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
I was at a number of games at WIN Stadium in those days when Barrett was booed off the field by a small but noisy group of fans if we lost a game. I heard from people in the know that he was bitter about this treatment and doesn't hold fond memories of his time with the joint venture.
I don't think alot of supporters would have fond memories of him.
Only ever played well for NSW and that was his main goal each year get himself fit for SOO.
For mine he is my least favourite player to ever pull on the red V.
To me his nickname of the tampon was appropriate.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I rate Barrett the best 5/8 or halfback we have had in the last 39 years that I have been watching us play. He did miss a lot of games through injury.

The reality is much worse.
Mary is going nowhere until he retires.
The excuses will keep coming.
2025 Mary "we didn't expect Perth to be that good, losing to them twice in the season has cost us a final 8 spot."
and 2030 Mudgee Illawarra dragons CEO Paul Mcgregor has announced former club legend Jeremy latimore has been appointed head coach on a 6 year $12m dollar deal new coach latimore said he can’t wait to comence work with the players and is particularly excited about working with veteran halfback Ben hunt and full back James Tedesco who signed a lucrative deal from the roosters which should see him finish his career at the dragons lol

The calm one

Juniors
A
I find this assistant coach thing a bit of a joke TBH - how do the duties get divided up? Does head coach not get power of veto on all decisions? I can't see anyone bullying Mary as he has built a career out of bullying. It's a black box and seems more of a fodder tool when things are going to $hit
An assistant coach is like having an ashtray on a motorbike:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I don't think alot of supporters would have fond memories of him.
Only ever played well for NSW and that was his main goal each year get himself fit for SOO.
For mine he is my least favourite player to ever pull on the red V.
To me his nickname of the tampon was appropriate.

As the saying goes, his nickname was, 'Period'........... cause he'd only turn up once a month.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Who was the good bloke we had 40 years ago?
I said in the last 39 years that I have been watching us play. I didn't say there was a good one the year before. Tony Trudgett was our 5/8 in 79 and Steve Morris was our halfback. I did see both of them play in the early 80's, with Steve Morris being moved to the wing in 1983. Barrett was better than both Trudgett and Steve Morris.

TruSaint

Referee
I rate Barrett the best 5/8 or halfback we have had in the last 39 years that I have been watching us play. He did miss a lot of games through injury.

Barrett better than Soward ?

You also said that Barrett was better than Steve Morris. Different position, but Morris leaves Barrett for dead in any case, and in any position.

Barrett's highlight reels are very short and usually have him wearing a blue jersey.
He never made his mark in the Red V in big games.

Soward is one reason we lifted a title.

saintly1996

Juniors

You also said that Barrett was better than Steve Morris. Different position, but Morris leaves Barrett for dead in any case, and in any position.

Barrett's highlight reels are very short and usually have him wearing a blue jersey.

200 plus nrl games
11 for Nsw
15 for Australia
A dally m
Rugby leagues players player of the year

Your right that is a short highlight reel........I loved slippery but to say he was better in any position is simply delusional, he got moved to the wing because he couldn’t make it as a half

Dragon Blood

Juniors

I agree with you 100% and that's why Browney bitch slapped him.

Latest posts