What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens state of origin future

Just saw Kirra Dib’s highlights from State of Origin on The Professor.

Hard as nails, kicks goals and a sweet left to right pass.

The works.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They could just copy whatever it is the AFL is doing with their WAFL. This shit isn’t hard. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
The AFLW model was about plundering other sports to find players. There was nothing grass roots about it. They essentially went out and bought a competition.

Stallion

First Grade
The AFLW model was about plundering other sports to find players. There was nothing grass roots about it. They essentially went out and bought a competition.

Perhaps their was something grassroots about it. In Newcastle a number of girls are playing AFL at schools I teach at. . So its made some impact at grass roots level with youngsters. Don't get me wrong. I don't rate the sport at all. I see it as a pumped up training run however it has gained female players in the Newcastle area. I do believe that the development of TRL" Touch Rugby League" will circumvent the AFL push but it needs to be done in a timely and comprehensive way with rugby-league's full endorsement.

T-Boon

Coach
Next years Women's State of Origin will be on the Sunshine Coast. That is a good call.

iJehovah

Juniors
imagine the buzz for the girls (sorry - women) if they played before G1 at Suncorp - iconic stadium, stadium probably half full with the early kick off, and for them to be able to watch the men's game in the crowd (or sideline seats?) afterwards. Fair chance the casual observer or someone who's not a fan of women's RL would be a convert

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I reckon they'd rather play in front of 2k, 3k, 6k, 10k who are there to see them rather than a 'half full Suncorp' which is full of people there to see something else.

The exposure argument is rubbish and shortchanges fans of the women's game. I'd be surprised if any of the women's players would want it over a standalone fixture.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Women's game/s need to be stand alone fixture(s). They are unique to themselves and the relevance of what is being achieved would be lost playing as a 'curtain raiser' to the men's game. Kinda my issue with the WNRL right now being 'curtain raisers' to the semi finals of the men - stand alone fixtures at suburban grounds that struggle to see love or regular footy. Dragons at Wollongong, Broncos from Dolphins Stadium, Easts from North Sydney Oval & the Warriors from wherever their base may be - Gosford? If they ever expand the comp, Souths play at Redfern, Wests at Campbelltown or Kirkham, Cronulla at Endeavour and so on.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I know of a lot of people that would have loved to see some of the NRLW games live but were prevented because all the tickets were sold to NRL semis fans

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Women's game/s need to be stand alone fixture(s). They are unique to themselves and the relevance of what is being achieved would be lost playing as a 'curtain raiser' to the men's game. Kinda my issue with the WNRL right now being 'curtain raisers' to the semi finals of the men - stand alone fixtures at suburban grounds that struggle to see love or regular footy. Dragons at Wollongong, Broncos from Dolphins Stadium, Easts from North Sydney Oval & the Warriors from wherever their base may be - Gosford? If they ever expand the comp, Souths play at Redfern, Wests at Campbelltown or Kirkham, Cronulla at Endeavour and so on.
The NRLW started moving to independent venues in a small way in 2019 - and would've done the same if not for COVID this year.

Pneuma

First Grade
Skills were down in this game mainly due to lack of preparation time. You can’t perform at origin level with only minor club games under your belt. The NRL needs to get the scheduling of these games right. Need to be amidst the NRLW season or right after it. Either way the women deserve better than playing the night after a men’s match and being under done as well.

Skills were down in this game mainly due to lack of preparation time. You can’t perform at origin level with only minor club games under your belt. The NRL needs to get the scheduling of these games right. Need to be amidst the NRLW season or right after it. Either way the women deserve better than playing the night after a men’s match and being under done as well.
Agree with all that. Still enjoyed it. Errors can sometimes break up a game that's lapsing into set-for-set monotony, but there were too many unforced drops and poor options.

Also confirmed a theory I've been pushing for years on the UK RL forum. Namely, that the way the game is currently refereed and coached means that defence is the only area in which women can consistently excel in tight contests. Their attacking skills sometimes can't hold up under the heightened defensive pressure of elite competition. A problem aggravated last night, as you say, by not having played for several weeks.

The RL ball is designed for the hands of a typical man. Allana Ferguson is one who advocates for smaller footballs in female RL. In my view, this wouldn't be necessary if officials could be persuaded to stop refereeing all levels of the women's game like the NRL bunker. The refs at the National Championships were worse than Grant Atkins.

Pneuma

First Grade
Agree with all that. Still enjoyed it. Errors can sometimes break up a game that's lapsing into set-for-set monotony, but there were too many unforced drops and poor options.

Also confirmed a theory I've been pushing for years on the UK RL forum. Namely, that the way the game is currently refereed and coached means that defence is the only area in which women can consistently excel in tight contests. Their attacking skills sometimes can't hold up under the heightened defensive pressure of elite competition. A problem aggravated last night, as you say, by not having played for several weeks.

The RL ball is designed for the hands of a typical man. Allana Ferguson is one who advocates for smaller footballs in female RL. In my view, this wouldn't be necessary if officials could be persuaded to stop refereeing all levels of the women's game like the NRL bunker. The refs at the National Championships were worse than Grant Atkins.
Agree with all of that 100%

siv

First Grade
Game should be schedule in advance of SOO mens game

Doesnt need to be on the same day

But part of origin build up

Would that affect the kicking though having smaller footballs? - i.e general play and goal kicking ?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
deinfitely, also the many of the NSW based players didn't play alot of HN games either so not much RL since last year.
I think the selection of Southwell was a couple of years too early as well

Would that affect the kicking though having smaller footballs? - i.e general play and goal kicking ?
I haven't studied the details. Imagine the proposed reduction would be minor. Only downside would probably be off-field, giving ammunition to detractors.

The success of women's Soccer is entirely dependent on modern Soccer balls. They couldn't play the way they currently do with the old leather balls. Particularly in wet conditions.

ALX25

Juniors