What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

carcharias

Immortal
No wukkas. They may have been chippies/builders I think. We were working at The Blood Bank in Clarence st at the time.
April Sun was one of their Harbour Cruise faves. We nearly got them to play Shippin Steele...... nearly!!! Damo was up for it.
In the meantime from a Harbour Cruise, you'll know this one mate haha

Unreal

The dude playing that solo was in the lemonheads !
Yeah?
Aussie bloke.

I might go on a little a bit about Damo today. I'm so proud that I got to organise his last two gigs. I'm a bit sad. Nice write up here.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...xYFW60psL92jFaComi9u_m4adETHbCAecb4cNQ9D5kjfY

Celibate Rifles frontman Damien Lovelock dies from cancer aged 65
BY STEVE CANNANEUPDATED 14 MINUTES AGO
Email Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

PHOTO

Damien Lovelock became a qualified yoga teacher after using the practice to recover from a soccer injury.

FACEBOOK: DAMIEN LOVELOCK YOGA
There was no-one in the world like Damien Lovelock.

He was the charismatic lead singer with one of Australia's great live rock bands, the Celibate Rifles, and the man who taught Ryoho yoga to the NSW State of Origin rugby league team.

PHOTO The Celibate Rifles' Roman Beach Party album with singer Damien Lovelock (right).
SUPPLIED

He was a spoken word performer who could riff for an hour about a bet he once placed on a sure thing at the Gosford dogs, who could then turn up at the SBS studios to give a lively dissertation to his great mate Les Murray about the genius of Dutch footballer Johan Cruyff.

To chat with Damien was like taking a mystery flight through the world of music, sport, philosophy and everyday life. The journey was always unpredictable, the conversation would usually land in one of two places, either deep insight or rib-cracking laughter.

Sadly, those riffs, those gigs, those gags, those enlightening conversations have come to an end after the rock-n-roller and raconteur died aged 65 of cancer at his home on Sydney's northern beaches.

Damien Lovelock was born on May 21, 1954, in Amersham, a market town north-west of London that eventually became part of the city's commuter belt.

His parents had moved to the UK to try and make it in the music industry. His mother Joan Wilton was a jazz singer who had her own show on ABC Radio in the 1950s. His father Bill Lovelock was a television producer, musician, arranger and composer.

joan-wilton-and-damien-lovelock-data.jpg

Bill had decided to study music and composition after working as a war crimes investigator at the end of World War II. Traumatised by what he had seen, he decided to spend his time pursuing the beauty of music.

Move from UK to Sydney
As Bill's career took off, the marriage broke down. Bill moved to New York where he wrote and produced songs for Burl Ives and Nina Simone. Joan returned to Sydney with their son.

Young Damien grew up in Sydney's eastern suburbs breathing in the sights and sounds of Bondi, Paddington and Rose Bay in the 1960s and 70s. He later turned those formative experiences into vivid stories in song and spoken word.

Damien's various careers as musician, yoga teacher, writer and football commentator all came about by accident. He was the quintessential man without a plan.

His mother died when he was 19, and with his father in the US, he had no immediate family to share his grief with. His life went off the rails. He took drugs, avoided work and found trouble. It took him a number of years to find his sense of purpose.

After a short stint in the country, he moved back to Sydney in 1980.

"I was trying to get going again and I was a bit freaked out, so I started writing songs for something to do," he told ABC Conversations in 2013.

He played those fledgling tunes to his girlfriend at the time and she encouraged him to keep writing.

At the age of 26, he answered a "Singer Wanted" ad on the noticeboard at a music store in Brookvale and soon after joined the Celibate Rifles.

YOUTUBE:The Celibate Rifles - Johnny
YOUTUBE: @CCCP13

Most of the band members had just finished high school. Damien's incisive lyrics delivered in a raspy Australian drawl with a laconic stage persona perfectly complimented the frenetic energy of a band who loved to play hard and fast.

The Rifles gained airplay on Double Jay, and then triple j, and toured the country at the peak of Australia's golden era of pub rock.

They were equally popular in the inner-city music scene as the suburban beer barns. They were smart, funny and developed a reputation for upstaging bigger name acts. But they never quite got the success they deserved.

Lovelock once described the Rifles as having an ability to "stand on stage and blow your head off". Playing live they were a force of nature.

In 1986 the Celibate Rifles played their first overseas gig at CBGBs in New York, the legendary venue that launched the careers of Blondie, Talking Heads and Patti Smith. It was a dream come true for Lovelock. He thought of his mother Joan, who as a jazz singer dreamt of playing in New York.

PHOTO The Celibate Rifles on tour in the 1980s. Damien Lovelock is second from the left.
FACEBOOK: CAZ BAH

"My mum never saw me sing and that was a big thing for me that night walking down to The Bowery," he said.

"I was thinking about my mum and how much it would've meant for her to see that.

"We got on stage and I was so terrified I didn't open my eyes for the first three or four songs. I just shut my eyes and concentrated on getting the words right and waited till this level of total panic dissolved."

The Rifles had no record distribution deals in the US at that stage, so Lovelock was blown away when he finally opened his eyes.

"There was about 50 people there and 40 of them were singing along with the song," he said.

"I remember walking home that night with my cousin, and I said to her if I died right now I wouldn't have felt like I missed a thing."

Lovelock played with the Rifles for 39 years and was planning more gigs before he died. The band released 13 standalone albums and a series of compilations. He also put out two solo albums.

PHOTO Australian rock band the Celibate Rifles.
SUPPLIED

Commentating a soccer game he didn't see
It was while he was hovering around the corridors at triple j, talking the leg off someone no doubt, that his career as a football commentator emerged from nowhere.

Someone realised the World Youth Cup was about to start at the Sydney Football Stadium that afternoon and Lovelock was asked if he knew anything about soccer. Of course he did … Before he knew it, he was at the stadium, but there was no accreditation waiting for him. He walked up to Oxford Street to see if any of the pubs were showing the game. No such luck. He found a payphone, dialled the triple j studio number and started his high wire act.

"I launched into a monologue about a football game I hadn't seen and didn't know the score of, using the Tibetan book of the Dead and the 49-day journey of the spirit and all these parallels and just went on and on," he told the Weekend Australian.

"When I finally stopped there was dead silence down the phone. Finally, the producer came back and I thought he'd say, 'Thanks mate, don't call us, we'll call you', but he was weeping with laughter — and that was it. My soccer reporting [career] was born."

PHOTO Damien Lovelock (right) spoke about his good mate Les Murray at the legendary soccer commentator's state funeral in 2017.
AAP: DEAN LEWINS

Lovelock went on to publish two books about football, have his own segment called Fan's Corner on The World Game on SBS and covered countless World Cups for ABC Radio.

Just as music had led to football, football then led to yoga.

Soccer injury led to yoga
His unforeseen emergence as a commentator revived his interest in the global game and he started playing park football again.

In 1995, he injured his neck during a match and nothing he tried could alleviate the pain.

An old World War II digger in the steam room at Manly Leagues club told him: "Oh mate, you've got to try that yoga business." Lovelock went to the next available class at the club and was hooked for life.

The yoga classes sorted out his debilitating neck injury and he embraced the practice to such a degree that he took a year off to learn how to teach it. He would end up helping others to recover from injury like he had himself.

A Lovelock yoga class was no place to empty the mind or reach union with a supreme spirit. In between poses Damien would give hilarious monologues about what was on his mind or happening in his own unique world.

One of his students described him as the Keith Richards of yoga. He was such a good teacher he was hired by professional football teams like the Central Coast Mariners, Sydney FC and the NSW State of Origin team.

Damien was at all times a man who ran his own race, spoke his own mind and to hell with the consequences.

At school he boycotted compulsory cadets and was dropped from the rugby team for his troubles.

Once, in the 1990s, a highly influential ABC radio manager was giving him some unsolicited advice about how he could improve his regular segment on triple j.

"In my experience as a producer…" he began.

Damien did not like what he was hearing and cut him off mid-stream.

"Mate," he said in that distinctive drawl, "I don't think you could produce a turd with a bowl of All-Bran."

PHOTO Damien Lovelock was once described by one of his students as "the Keith Richards of yoga".
SUPPLIED

It was that kind of unfiltered comment that ended up doing him no favours in landing the high-profile gigs that others with less talent so easily fell into. But that was Damo. He instead relied on his late mother's advice: "Speak your own mind, absorb the beating, and carry on."

His door would always be open, literally
Damien loved the beach and it was a part of his daily ritual to walk up and down the sand at Newport and finish off with a bodysurf. He was not a slip, slop, slap kind of guy. His skin was like a cross between crocodile leather and a Burt Reynolds man tan.

I once stupidly asked him if he ever used sunscreen. "Mate," he said, looking at me as if I was a moron, "when you've been clinically dead three times, you don't worry about dying from kicking back."

He was that rare breed who always had the perfect comeback to any comment or question. During the Sydney Olympics, when locals were overly exuberant about welcoming visitors to our shores, he was somehow mistaken for a tourist. While on the escalator at Warringah Mall he was asked innocently: "So, what do you think of Sydney?" He turned around and deadpanned: "The first 46 years have been great, thanks."

Damien in many ways was a man at odds with the modern era. Money, materialism and social media were of little interest to him. As long as he could talk, play music, teach yoga, watch sport, walk along the beach and bodysurf he was happy.

PHOTO Damien Lovelock with one of his pet pugs.
FACEBOOK: DAMIEN LOVELOCK YOGA

He was furious when the 2G network was shut down and he could no longer use his silver Sharp flip-phone. He couldn't understand why you would need a phone for anything other than phone calls or text messages.

He took a curious disregard to having things stolen. Whether he was at home or not, the front door of his house in Bilgola Plateau would always be flung open, with the television on and the sound of football games blaring out into the street. Thankfully no-one ever stole his prized guitars.

He was similarly cavalier with his car. If you met him for a bodysurf at Newport Beach, the first thing you would see would be his Tarago in the north end of the car park, unlocked, windows down, a pair of sluggos hanging over the wing mirror, with his keys placed on the top of the front tyre.

His attitude to money and worldly goods was best summed up by his lyric in the Celibate Rifles's 1989 song O Salvation:

We're getting older but no more wise

I'm looking but I don't believe my eyes

Kids with machine guns selling crack

I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack

One thing baby I know is true

You make it but you can't take it with you

Despite the harsh realities of living with late-stage cancer, he was playing gigs and teaching yoga right up until his last weeks. He was cracking jokes and telling stories right until the end.

He is survived by his son Luke, his pugs Alvis and Zoki, and countless friends and fans.

POSTED ABOUT AN HOUR AGO

just heard at lunchtime today, very sad, a huge loss, the guy was a major part of the cultural landscape. Last saw him and the Rifles at Marrickville Bowlo last year.

carcharias

Immortal
Loved the Dennis Hoppers and Peter Fondas. They were in the real meaning of the word cool, casual, incorrect and anti establishment.
They seemingly couldn't give a f..... at times, reminds me of our team on the odd occasion.
Except the cool part

shadowboxer

First Grade
Hopper survived longer than expected - loose and not entirely in a good way
Look up about his antics on the set of mad dog Morgan here in Oz to get more detail.