What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs: Saturday 17th August 7:35pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Really looking forward to taking on traditional rivals in the Bulldogs during Women In League Round this weekend. They've found some form so are not going to be easy at all and they'll be looking to be the giant killers in the last few Rounds.

Our game against the Storm was a big step in the right direction and we need to take another step this weekend. The next three games have become so important as we need to win them and gain more confidence if we want to give this comp a real shake.

Hopefully Reyno, Sam and Turner are good to go. Unlikely Burns will play.

callmack1

Staff member
Round 22 Player Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/round-22-player-media/

"I'm eternally grateful for her" - Lowe: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/im-eternally-grateful-for-her---lowe/

"I want to make her proud this week" - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/i-want-to-make-her-proud-this-week---tatola/

"There's definitely some positives to take out" - Graham: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/theres-definitely-some-positives-to-take-out---graham/

Brydens Lawyers Injury Update Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/brydens-lawyers-injury-update-round-22/

So Reyno is in some doubt but will hopefully be okay. Sam, Burnsy and Turner look like they'll all be sweet to play this weekend which is great news!! That's a big boost!

Travitoh

First Grade
Canterbury are a gritty side with the ability to frustrate the opposition as Souths experienced on Good Friday. If relegation was a thing, i would describe them as a poor side who will survive the dog fight.
Don't be fooled by their position on the ladder, Souths can't expect to score points every set. It will be a game of territory but unlike Wests and Penrith, Souths do have the ability to capitalise.
Patience will be key and hopefully Souths learnt lessons from the weekends opposition.
In saying all that though, Canterbury are due a down week.

Souths to win in what could be a decent finals audition for the side. It won't be easy but if they can keep their composure, it should be comfortable.

callmack1

Staff member
My predicted Line Up for this week,

1. Doueihi
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. T.Burgess
11. Sutton
12 S.Burgess (C)
13. Murray

14. Su'A
15. Lowe
16. Nicholls
17. Knight

Wayne shuffled the side before kick off last week but I'm not sure it really worked and I think he'll revert back to normal.

I expect Sam, Reyno and Burns to be named, and surely Su'A come in!!

Guess we'll find out very soon!

callmack1

Staff member
Round 22 NRL Line Up to play Bulldogs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/13/round-22-nrl-line-up-to-play-bulldogs/

Very, very interesting Line Up. Certainly a big shake up in the forwards. However, I don't mind it and quite like the changes. Sam back to the middle is good, some fans have been crying out for that for weeks and hopefully this move will be good for us as he can really lead from the front and be an enforcer there, I'm hoping it'll bring out the best in him. Not so sure if Tatola deserved to be demoted to the bench, I'd probably have him starting over Knight but anyway. Tom goes back to the bench which is fair, he hasn't been great lately so hopefully this will give him a bit of a wake up call.

Then I'm quite happy to see Lowe start and Sutto go back to the bench as he provided some real impact there on the weekend and I think he's better off the bench at this stage of his career. In addition, geez I'm happy to see Su'A back! Starting too, let's hope he has a big game. Finally, Nicholls dropping out is fair. He hasn't done much wrong but is probably our least impactful forward and needs to pick his game up.

Certainly an interesting Line Up but I like it. What it does is put everyone on notice. I think some of our forwards in paticular have been getting a bit too comfortable, hopefully this will wake them up. Either way, it's clear to see Wayne is tinkering with the side and hopefully it pays dividends. it remains to be seen if it's just a shake up for this game or whether it hints at our side heading into the finals but either way, I like it!

callmack1

Staff member
"We won't be taking them lightly" - Gagai: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/13/we-wont-be-taking-them-lightly---gagai/

Also, from Sporting News,

Cody Walker says playmakers must expect to be hit when running the ball

South Sydney Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker says there's confusion around the rules interpretations in rugby league at the moment, but says halves in the modern game must be prepared to take a hit when they run the ball.

The NRL's referees are in the spotlight again this week after Tigers forward Luke Garner and Bulldogs lock Chris Smith were sin binned on Saturday night.

There was an immediate outcry from fans and pundits over Smith's hit on Tigers second-rower Ryan Matterson in the dying stages of Canterbury's win, with Paul Gallen saying it was one of the worst calls he's ever seen.

Walker, who has been one of the Bunnies' best in 2019, admits that the referees have a tough job to do, but doesn't want to see them overplaying their hand.

"You have to understand that we're in a position where we have to go to the line," Walker told Sporting News.

"We have to cop a hit for the next person to gain any sort of momentum.

"If you play early, then it's easy for the defence to read that sort of stuff.

"It's a hard one."

If the referees insist on overreacting to plays similar to the hits Garner and Smith were sin binned for, it's just a matter of time before playmakers begin taking advantage of it.

"It's confused. With the late hits, it's a hard thing to try and get right every time," Walker said.

"I just think it might encourage players to lay down and turn their back when they pass the footy and all those sorts of things.

"I don't have an answer for it.

"You do have to be careful, those neck injuries are pretty dangerous - there's whiplash and stuff like that.

"I just don't know about people running to the line and turning their backs to the line.

"It's a fine line and no one knows what the right thing is at the moment.

"We look at replays in slow-mo and it looks like he can pull out, but in the moment, in the heat of the game, if he dummies there and he goes through, well he's getting hammered about letting a bloke run straight past him.

"I don't want it to go down the path of seeing halves getting serious injuries to the neck, but we do play an important role where we have to cop a hit once in a while."

Currently fourth on the NRL ladder, South Sydney are coming off losses to the Sharks and Storm over the last two weeks and will take on a resurgent Bulldogs outfit at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

Despite suffering two losses on the bounce, Walker says the Bunnies can take positives out of Sunday's 26-16 loss to Melbourne.

"If we'd played the way we did against Cronulla, it would have been a different story," he said.

"But our attitude and our play switched and we still had moments to win that game.

"They've been playing outstanding, they've been the form side of the compeition. We'll take some confidence out of that, but we know we have to be better as well.

"It was moments that let us down and sides like Melbourne really hurt you for it.

"We bought it back to 12-all but let them off the hook with our next set after points and our fifth tackle options."

callmack1

Staff member
It's Game Day and I can't wait for tonight!!! First time we've been full strength in god knows how long so I'm hoping we can build on last week and put in a good performance. That's what the next few weeks are all about, building towards the Finals and playing some good footy, that starts today against the Dogs.

In saying that, we certainly can't afford to take them lightly. The Bulldogs have actually been quite impressive lately and have jagged a few wins after playing some good, spirited footy. They are looking to be giant killers to finish off 2019 so will be fired up against us. Therefore, there is no room for complacency tonight, we simply need to be on and I know the boys can do it!!

An pretty important game in Women In League Round.

250excf

Juniors
It's Game Day and I can't wait for tonight!!! First time we've been full strength in god knows how long so I'm hoping we can build on last week and put in a good performance. That's what the next few weeks are all about, building towards the Finals and playing some good footy, that starts today against the Dogs.

In saying that, we certainly can't afford to take them lightly. The Bulldogs have actually been quite impressive lately and have jagged a few wins after playing some good, spirited footy. They are looking to be giant killers to finish off 2019 so will be fired up against us. Therefore, there is no room for complacency tonight, we simply need to be on and I know the boys can do it!!

An pretty important game in Women In League Round.
Not full strength yet mate still AJ and George to come :thumbsup:

callmack1

Staff member
I honestly can't believe what I watched tonight. That was a complete and utter disgrace I just can't believe it. Worst performance I have seen in years and the boys should hang their heads in shame. It was disgusting. We had everything to play for tonight, a top four spot on the line and a chance to really kick on in this competition but we didn't even show up. It was flat right from the kick off and we had absolutely nothing against one of the worst teams in the comp. I'm normally very positve but that positivity is a world away tonight. We are done for 2019, gone. I can't believe this has happened, I really can't. A Season with so much promise is slipping away and the boys don't even look like they care anymore. It's over. I am shattered and so friggin angry. Don't think I've ever felt this bad after a regular Season game before. Just disgusting.

Attack, what attack? There was nothing there tonight. Right from the kick off the boys looked disinterested. Just walking into the line with no intent at all and then when they went to the ground, they wouldn't even fight to get up and get a quick play-the-ball. It was all in slow motion and we never got out of second gear. Predictable, boring play that was just sideways shit and we never even looked remotely dangerous. No ideas, no set plays, no execution, no fludidity. It was just never there all game. Then there was the amount of errors we made which was disgraceful and I don't get how you could make that errors when you're not taking any risks. The spark is just all gone, we couldn't score a single try against one of the worst teams in the comp. It's so disappointing and I'm at a loss to even try to explain what's happened.

Defence was a mixed bag. We did put in and turn them away on multiple occasions through some good defensive reads but that was as good as it got. Apart from that, It was average. No line speed, missed tackles, silly penalties and just a lack of intent. Just really disappointing.

I'm making this short because all I want to do right now is just jump into bed and drown my sorrows in sleep. Not much to report anyway.

Doueihi: One of the only guys that put in. Good positional play, brave under the high ball and great kick returns. He tried hard tonight.

Gagai: Another one of our only players who actually put in tonight. Gags did a lot of work through the middle, taking quality hit ups and making good meters. Was tested under the high ball but held his own and came up with a great try saver in that first half.

Roberts: Didn't show much tonight. Had little ball but didn't go looking for it. A few good runs but that was about it. Quite average defensively, especially for the Dogs second try where he came up with nothing. No idea what he was doing there.

Burns: Not much to report has apart from take a couple of runs, he didn't do much. Super gutted for him to get injured again. It's a big blow for us and I'm shattered for him. Looks like his Season may be over.

Graham: Wasn't bad and didn't do much wrong all night actually. Some good hit ups (would've been good if he had more though) and was safe under the high ball.

Walker: Looked awesome early on and he looked like he was really primed to have a big game but then, once again, he just disappeared. Apart from putting in a few nothing kicks and being involved in a few backline sweeps, he did nothing. We needed hi to stand up and he simply didn't deliver. It's very concerning and quite sad.

Reynolds: Like Cody, he did hardly anything tonight. Two good kicks (including a brilliant 40/20) but that was about it. He gave us no direction in attack and just looked lost at times. He has run out of ideas but I think his outside men don't help. We just can't seem to execute any plays at the moment. I thought everything Reyno did tonight looked like slow motion and that is a worry. He may have been hampered by that injury but still.

S.Burgess: I actually thought Sam wasn't bad either, in his first stint anyway. He ran hard, was quite aggressive and was busy early on in both attack and defence. He threatened to punch through on a few occasions and in defence, he was winning contact more often than not. However, in his second stint, he did nothing and that is quite concerning. I really hope his injury isn't too bad but it looks like it it. For frick sake we can't take a trick currently.

Cook: Apart from his defence, Cookie didn't impress me at all tonight. He made 54 tackles which was a good effort but apart from that, he offered nothing. Service from dummy half wasn't anywhere near as good and he did nothing to attack and ask questions of the Bulldogs defence.

T.Burgess: Fairly average. Had the odd good run but that was about it. The rest he just trotted into the line and couldn't be bothered to fight for a quick play the ball. He was doing okay defensively though but geez, we need more from him. Just looks so disinterested sometimes.

Lowe: Ethan was crap tonight. Virtually no impact and had a couple of errors. His runs lacked the puch we have been used to.

Su'A: Jaydn was fairly average also. He did run hard but still struggled to make any sort of impact. He also made errors in good filled position that killed our momentum.

Murray: You know it's a bad day when even Cam is average but that's exactly what he was tonight. He was solid defensively as always but let himself down in attack with a few crucial errors and he didn't make his normal impact in that regard.

Sutton: Came on and did a steady job I feel. He didn't do anything to let anyone down.

Britt: Didn't provide much impact and he looked disinterested in his running game too.

Knight: I actually thought he was playing okay. He had a great deal of energy and seemed to be lifting the team. However, he was really let down by his errors. The guy just can's seem to hold a friggin ball.

Tatola: Despite running hard and trying his guts out, he struggled to make any sort of impact.

Sorry for my lack of real insight this week but all I want to do right now is go to bed right now. I'm just not in the mood. Absolutley shattered and so friggin angry after that.

So yea, I am really starting to lose confidence. A Season that promised so much is slipping away. We just have nothing at the moment and tonight was beyond disgraceful. It now looks like we won't make the top four so I think we're gone which is heartbreaking. I can't believe this is the same team that went 10-1 to start the year. It hurts so bad.

We need to have a good hard look at ourselves. there's guys out there that simply aren't putting in. Makes you wonder what Wayne has been doing too as we've now gone backwards from last year.

God, what a shitty, shitty night. I'm a mess.

Latest posts