What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

sempmrh

Juniors
Regardless of the ground: marketing of rugby league is not doing a good job in getting people to a game that had two very historically well supported Sydney clubs at play. Take note both Melbourne 5.30pm. and Newcastle 3pm outdrew the Sydney game played at the supposedly more convenient time of 7.30pm.

I was walking from the city to AAMI Park just as an AFL game at the MCG was exiting and there were people everywhere. There's a huge opportunity there for the NRL to take advantage of that and schedule Storm games at 5:30. I saw a few AFL people dotted around the crowd - promoted properly you could attract more. Line up some food trucks outside the stadium, give people something to do between the two games and make it a regular thing - I'm confident more people will do the double and start making it a habit.

mave

Coach
I was walking from the city to AAMI Park just as an AFL game at the MCG was exiting and there were people everywhere. There's a huge opportunity there for the NRL to take advantage of that and schedule Storm games at 5:30. I saw a few AFL people dotted around the crowd - promoted properly you could attract more. Line up some food trucks outside the stadium, give people something to do between the two games and make it a regular thing - I'm confident more people will do the double and start making it a habit.

Excellent idea.
Has been pushed for years though.

Unfortunately the NRL only care about the TV $, and no amount of logic will ever be taken into account when it comes to growing crowds, despite the NRL having (lol) "control" of the draw.

VictoryFC

Bench

The amount of people that would spend two hours at an NRL game in Melbourne having just spent 3 hours at a auskick game must be numbered in the tens, especially when you have to pay through the nose to attend both.

People spend so much time trying to figure out how to get fans of other sports to attend events that they forget about trying to convince the people they should be (actual RL fans) to attend. There are 30,000 people that have filled AAMI before to come and watch the Storm play. Target those people.

footy75

Bench

Exactly right. Intelligent people can see that the two can and should co-exist together benefiting each code and especially with the goal to attract more AFL fans to the NRL. Morons living in the dark ages still want to continue with this constant discourse and diatribe of us and against them and code war bullshit creating a wedge between the two which does nothing positive for the future of the game.

taipan

Referee
Local derby at shark park used to get 20k +

Capacity is not that now and hasn't;t been for some time .Anycase Dragons playing like busteds, and not many of their supporters there.Throw in the road works outside the club house ,now down to one lane each way is hardly encouraging people to rollup
If Dragons had been in the top 8 ,it would have cracked 15-16k.
At least they would have been on the right side of the financial ledger ,as 12,000 is break even.

taipan

Referee
Sharks crowd very disappointing even considering neither team is setting the world on fire.

4pm local derby and a very nice winters day should be pushing high teens regardless of ladder position

SFA Dragon's supporters there, and no wonder.With no chance to get into the semis .

txta2

Bench
Sharks crowd very disappointing even considering neither team is setting the world on fire.

4pm local derby and a very nice winters day should be pushing high teens regardless of ladder position
Yeah sure, but this has happened, like never.
You have a team out of the finals and another playing like busteds.
And the game quality mirrored the crowd numbers. It was a woeful game.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Nz game was always a 18k - 20k sfs game..
Looking back at past crowds there was 14 last year, and ranged from 16 to 11 to 13 to 10 thousand in the previous years going back to 2011. I think the sfs factor maybe pushes it up to 15 but no more than that. For a roosters game 12,227 is not too bad considering the so called local derby only had a thousand more.