What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 2nd Test Australia v England, Lords Aug 14-18

Had there been another session or two of play remaining ( thank you pommie weather) poms win this test I reckon

They would have got well over 300 lead and lot more overs to bowl us out on the last day

Imagine the scrutiny of our decision to bowl first and be exposed on a day 5 deck rather than just 40 odd overs

And Root didn’t have the guts to declare earlier. Another 10 overs and they could’ve won it.

220-230 run lead would’ve been enough.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's interesting too... I think I am against it... they should just have strong protocols and prevent anyone concussed playing a further role in the game...

Unclear why someone who is hurt in that way can be replaced, but for example the Simon Jones knee, or the horrible Gillespie/Waugh situation can't (although I guess under this rule Waugh might have)...

Should be for all injuries or none - Smith gets his arm broken, can't be replaced - gets concussed can... bit weird imo... and not like concussions are that common... at the end of the day, both hits were similar - quality quick bowling and Smith getting himself in the wrong position

Smith gets his arm broken and he possibly still bats if he is needed to save the test. Anderson batted (twice) with his calf injury. If the icc is stepping in to stop players from batting there needs to be a substitution

JJ

Immortal
Smith gets his arm broken and he possibly still bats if he is needed to save the test. Anderson batted (twice) with his calf injury. If the icc is stepping in to stop players from batting there needs to be a substitution

Like many I wasn't that aware of the rule... the like for like thing is interesting... in reality Australia probably should have been allowed to bat the rest of the squad for Smith

simmo1

First Grade
I'm pretty sure they can also impose restrictions to make sure the replacement like-for-like. In this case it didn't matter as Smith and Labu both bowl part time leggies. But if Labu replaced say Bancroft, they can restrict him to a batsman only and not let him bowl.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah so if a touring side picks up a bunch of injuries before play and has no replacement batsmen left. If a batsman gets injured lets say Warner and he gets subbed by Mitchell Starc then Starc wouldn't be allowed to bowl

JJ

Immortal
I'm pretty sure they can also impose restrictions to make sure the replacement like-for-like. In this case it didn't matter as Smith and Labu both bowl part time leggies. But if Labu replaced say Bancroft, they can restrict him to a batsman only and not let him bowl.
Bancroft is a batsman? Oh, ok...