What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
His kicking game is outstanding so I back him to overtake Luai at some stage

Unless there is some kind of attitude issue or injury I think its going to be very hard to deny this kid the 6 jersey after a full NRL pre-season. Luai is certainly talented and has a chance to beat him out but I think Burton will end up in the 6 jersey at some point next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Unless there is some kind of attitude issue or injury I think its going to be very hard to deny this kid the 6 jersey after a full NRL pre-season. Luai is certainly talented and has a chance to beat him out but I think Burton will end up in the 6 jersey at some point next year.

I think so too. Luai is good but just lacks in a few areas both should be in the 17 if fit though

Alintheeast

Juniors
This discussion is the same Penny Fans have been having since forever different player different times. Burton is a 6 shouldn’t be thought of any other way, I am waiting for someone to mention rangey second rower. I watched him against the Sharks he is a thinker he may lack the athletism of a Fittler or the natural skills of Thurston but if you get a chance focus on him for a few minutes during a game. He will bring structure and his skills complement Clearys not intimidate.
Anyway what was Brad Fittler’s nickname in Origin camp?

OldPanther

Coach
The talk of Burton in another position only stems from the idea Luai might nail down the 5/8 position. No one is saying Burton isn’t a 5/8.

This. Luai has shown a lot of promise but hasn't had a chance yet with Maloney here. He could very well earn a spot then you have to fit the both of them. I'm not willing to write him off till he gets some real game time.

Alintheeast

Juniors
The talk of Burton in another position only stems from the idea Luai might nail down the 5/8 position. No one is saying Burton isn’t a 5/8.
I’ve seen Fullback, centre, second row, mentioned without mention of Laui, What I am saying is that Burton is nothing but a 6 and needs to stay there. If he cannot displace Laui in the future he is probably better off going somewhere else. The same with Laui
You didn’t answer the question it was Adolph.

OldPanther

Coach
I’ve seen Fullback, centre, second row, mentioned without mention of Laui, What I am saying is that Burton is nothing but a 6 and needs to stay there. If he cannot displace Laui in the future he is probably better off going somewhere else. The same with Laui

Except I started the discussion and I said it was a way to fit Burton and Luai in the same team. If you think he couldn't play another position you obviously don't rate him as a footballer. Many of his skills are transferable to other positions.

Nah, it was always mostly about Luia/Burton not fitting into the same position.

Anyway I think the idea he’s nothing but a 5/8 could be wrong. He was playing on the wing only a few years ago, he looks to have the talent to play several positions. Just that 5/8 is probably his best.

Positional play isn’t hard & fast, there’s many guys that have been able to play multiple positions at a high standard.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nah, it was always mostly about Luia/Burton not fitting into the same position.

Anyway I think the idea he’s nothing but a 5/8 could be wrong. He was playing on the wing only a few years ago, he looks to have the talent to play several positions. Just that 5/8 is probably his best.

Positional play isn’t hard & fast, there’s many guys that have been able to play multiple positions at a high standard.

Defensively 5/8th and centre aren't that different. Infact with his footwork it might even suit better if he gets one on one with the opposition centre

Ball playing fullbacks have become a bigger part of the game, and given ball playing isn’t Nathan’s strength it makes some sense to look at whoever misses out on the 5/8 role for fullback. Although I’m not convinced Luai can do it, it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Cleary’s best games with us were when Moylan was playing fullback. Obviously correlation does not equal causation, but I think Cleary would be better off if he didn’t have the pressure to create the points.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Long term we have some tough calls but until someone steps up and makes a position theirs then we are able to do it

Ball playing fullbacks have become a bigger part of the game, and given ball playing isn’t Nathan’s strength it makes some sense to look at whoever misses out on the 5/8 role for fullback. Although I’m not convinced Luai can do it, it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Cleary’s best games with us were when Moylan was playing fullback. Obviously correlation does not equal causation, but I think Cleary would be better off if he didn’t have the pressure to create the points.

Agree x2

maple_69

Bench
While we are throwing players around for positions, what about Luai to centre? On a small sample of each at 6, Luai has seemed much more confident and solid in his defensive decision making and contact. Strength is his running game and could certainly feed Sauce/Naden.

Ultimately, as a few people have mentioned we need to figure out who is going to be best at setting up the play. Once we’ve got that guy, then we can figure out whether any of the spare halves/fullbacks could work.

OldPanther

Coach
As if he would return to the club that wouldnt give him a shot.

Might have been under a different coach. But Eels gave him a shot when we wouldnt and he would only return if we were his only option IMO

Exactly. They said something called the rugby league report said it but I've never heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.