What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty and Aitken set to leave

matPORTS

Juniors
I don't think Aitken has been the 'flavour of the month' for any Dragons supporter this year (or even the last couple of years for most of us).

But, in my opinion, there is still some potential upside in his career no doubt. The fact that McGregor (whom played centre at the very highest level) hasn't been able to accelerate his career (a player whom had such big wraps upon coming into grade in 2015) is an absolute travesty and further example of his inability to develop our juniors.

Aitken may well end up at a club like Manly in some sort of mutual swap deal... thinking back to the rumors of them looking to offload Dylan Walker + possibly shed others in order to maintain cap compliance - a consequence of DCE's big salary and the potential re-signing of the Trboijevic brothers. You can bet that someone like Des will get the best out of him (plus didn't Des make a play for him while at the Bulldogs a couple of years back?).

Further - what is the end game with all of this? Are we making a play for an established fullback and/or winger (on the assumption that Lomax is going to take a centre spot permanently)? The problem, as mentioned earlier in this thread - Dufty and Aitken both have contracts. The only way this is going to work is if another club(s) is willing to pick up their contracts, and it will likely involve 'player swaps' to cover the balance of contracts etc. On Aitken and Duftys current form other clubs coming to the party, while not impossible, is far from guaranteed.

As much as McGregor has to go regardless, if we can't shed some of the deadwood (and there are more who should be moved on apart from these two) then its even more reason as to why he should be moved on. Only so much you can polish a turd (in reality you can't at all).

hazzbeen

Bench
That's not a clean out, it's a wipe over! Until they get rid of the Peanut coach ...McExcuse , then they can't be serious. The 1st player released should be Lafai then daylight 2nd!
Lafia , Aiken , Rav , if used in a way that can benefit the team , I'd keep Dufty , Field are players that have speed to burn , in a team that is crying out for speed ..... But no way Supa Doopa coach knows how to use them .... Example we are losing by 20 points and he throws Dufty on for 3 minutes ....

Slackboy72

Coach
Hate to be that guy, but...

Aitken and Dufty both have contracts. If they are to leave it means they are both going to have to find someone willing to pay. Given their form, that’s not guaranteed.
I cant wait until they're at the dogs and tearing us apart while we're paying ¾ of their salary.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Example we are losing by 20 points and he throws Dufty on for 3 minutes ....
McGregor: “Ok Matt, the plan is: get on there and do that try scoring that you did against the Roosters. But do it 3 times”

Dufty: “But we need to score more than 3 converted tries to win”

McGregor: “Okay, so do it 4 times”

Dufty: “You can’t score 4 tries in 3 minutes”

McGregor: “Of course you can, the’re not off kicks”

**siren sounds**

McGregor: “f**king Dufty. Didn’t follow the plan”

giboz71

First Grade
As much as we love bagging Aitken, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if he improved under a good coach.

He might even learn to pass and mark up on his man.

The way Hasler has transformed Garrick who was just as clueless defensively as Aitken, then anything is possible.

sco22

Juniors
As much as we love bagging Aitken, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if he improved under a good coach.

The way Hasler has transformed Garrick who was just as clueless defensively as Aitken, then anything is possible.
It’s all about what the coach can do with his players. And with McGregor it’s zero as everyone can see. Except the board and journalists.

Apparently manly are in for aitken too

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
I don't think Aitken has been the 'flavour of the month' for any Dragons supporter this year (or even the last couple of years for most of us).

But, in my opinion, there is still some potential upside in his career no doubt. The fact that McGregor (whom played centre at the very highest level) hasn't been able to accelerate his career (a player whom had such big wraps upon coming into grade in 2015) is an absolute travesty and further example of his inability to develop our juniors.

Aitken may well end up at a club like Manly in some sort of mutual swap deal... thinking back to the rumors of them looking to offload Dylan Walker + possibly shed others in order to maintain cap compliance - a consequence of DCE's big salary and the potential re-signing of the Trboijevic brothers. You can bet that someone like Des will get the best out of him (plus didn't Des make a play for him while at the Bulldogs a couple of years back?).

Further - what is the end game with all of this? Are we making a play for an established fullback and/or winger (on the assumption that Lomax is going to take a centre spot permanently)? The problem, as mentioned earlier in this thread - Dufty and Aitken both have contracts. The only way this is going to work is if another club(s) is willing to pick up their contracts, and it will likely involve 'player swaps' to cover the balance of contracts etc. On Aitken and Duftys current form other clubs coming to the party, while not impossible, is far from guaranteed.

As much as McGregor has to go regardless, if we can't shed some of the deadwood (and there are more who should be moved on apart from these two) then its even more reason as to why he should be moved on. Only so much you can polish a turd (in reality you can't at all).
You’re correct, you can’t polish a turd.... but you can roll it in glitter.

qld redvee

Juniors
Yep...I’m still scratching my head about that one. Not good enough to be at the club next year, but this year, you’ll be in first grade all year.
R & W -- Unfortunately like I have posted elsewhere our 2 centres of unexcellence are there all year as we have no alternatives to put in their places -- Maranta is a centre in CC if that gives you any confidence . Marsters wont be picked as he is going to the bunnies and Lomax who is in line for fullback ?? has to make do on the wing such is our strength or lack of out wide .. On a positive note I would hop we are chasing a "big name" player to replace Aitken duffty . But I also wait for the next shipment of journeymen to replace the marantas etc

possm

Coach

Aitken and Dufty both have contracts. If they are to leave it means they are both going to have to find someone willing to pay. Given their form, that’s not guaranteed.
Both of these young players should go to ESL. A good life experience for them.

possm

Coach
Well, they are in the top 4 with names like Brendan Elliott, Reuben Garrick, Brad Parker and Cade Cust gracing their backline.

Hasler doesn't need big names to succeed. If anyone can transform Aitken, Des probably can.
We should have signed Hasler when he was available. The Board and those fans who favoured Mary have egg on their face.

qld redvee

Juniors

SBD82 thats my major worry with our upcoming cleanout . If we have to stump up some coin for players to go elsewhere then it impacts on our ability to sign quality instead of journeymen .. Point in question say Pearson we signed him for 2 years do we keep him ? or more importantly who would take him with minimum cost to us if there are NO takers guess what we keep em in our top 30 !!! Great strategy I dont think so

Latest posts