What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Starkers

Bench
Is the Ch 9 commentary really any worse than fox though? I think a lot of fans just prefer the Fox presentation to Ch 9. No cross promotion of The Block or garbage like that. But remember these guys are on fox:
Blocker
Anasta
Hodges
Walters
Gasnier
Parker
Raymond
fair point really, some of those above are real wooducks. what i have found is Voss and Smith are callers that engage listeners far more. and the secondary callers to fox are as good as ray warren. that sort of washes away a lot of the stupidity that guys like anasta and blocker add.

taipan

Referee
Can never understand why guys like:-
Jimmy Smith
Sean Garlick
Graeme Hughes
are not involved in Nien or Fox commentary.
There are other guys who have the personality, oratory skills and football knowledge to do the job,

The monotone speak of some of the current lot of charisma killers, is like being overdosed on mogadon.

j5o6hn

Juniors
NRL matches are not shown on 9 one Friday game no FTA rating for that, 2 Sat games no fta rating for that one Sunday game no ratings for that
Be interesting to see how the rating on FTA go if all games are shown as per AFL I prefer Fox but not ever home has it
9 can squeal all they like they I think elected to not show the games to hand them to the AFL lover Murdoch views are down 3 mil but really the NRL constantly shoots its self in the foot
That's how I see it from Perth, they could put a game on in Perth at a good time for Sydney viewers, that would be better than handing over dead air to the AFL on FTA

Perth Red

Post Whore
Poor refs getting blame for everything lol.
Maybe a lack of investment and vision in growing the game and making it more appealing to the public is why our crowds and audiences are static at best and declining at worse? We keep making decisions for the game that the audience dislikes, constant use of video refs as an example, then wonder why people are turning off the product.
Also doesn't help when every NRL commentator and so called expert is constantly talking the game down and blaming ref decisions even when they are right ones! No wonder the customer doesn't want to shop there anymore.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the Ch 9 commentary really any worse than fox though? I think a lot of fans just prefer the Fox presentation to Ch 9. No cross promotion of The Block or garbage like that. But remember these guys are on fox:
Blocker
Anasta
Hodges
Walters
Gasnier
Parker
Raymond

True but Fox also have vossy, warren smith, ennis etc who are very good. Ch9 is Rabs and Gould killing the enjoyment of every game. Throw in no ads, HD and better camera work and Fox is a winner every time. I pity people who have to watch NRL on Ch9!

mongoose

Coach
True but Fox also have vossy, warren smith, ennis etc who are very good. Ch9 is Rabs and Gould killing the enjoyment of every game. Throw in no ads, HD and better camera work and Fox is a winner every time. I pity people who have to watch NRL on Ch9!

Channel 9 is in HD on the east coast....

tri_colours

Juniors
Ch 7 have crappy commentators and more adds. Doesn't seem to deter the Southerners from watching.

TV ratings may have dropped off a bit but according to Wookie's black box reports streaming numbers are though the roof.

I assume everyone foxtel works the same as mine, You have to pay even more for HD!

Nerd

Bench
Most NRL games are still entertaining to watch. But I will add that the video referee is not a fan friendly feature. Watching the game live at Newcastle on Saturday afternoon convinced me that fans cannot stand the video referee intrusions. I'm also critical of the video referee referals during the tv games I watch. The video ref is an issue and needs to be minimized as much as possible. It's detracting from the flow and spontaneous enjoyment of the game by fans and players.
My thoughts are that the video ref should get 3 views only of a try from different angles in slo mo. Can't make a decision after the 3 views then go with the refs on field call and move on.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think putting a referee in the commentators box is a good idea. Similar to what Bill harrigon does on triple m. The job would be to keep the commentators honest and stand up for the rules of the game not someone’s bias opinion. They have tried to do it and clarify rules with Graham Annersley at Mondays conference but buy Monday the media have already run with it and the narrative has been lost.

I think that commentators need to be more professional. Maybe train them to commentate better. Arguing over their interpretation of the rules is the same as a player complaining to the ref about the decision. Accept the decision and move on. Commentate on the play and players but I don’t want to hear your biased opinion/agenda. Would probably help attract fans to the game as well.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Are there any current figures for just the current afl and nrl competition tv ratings? Trying to work out current game averages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think putting a referee in the commentators box is a good idea. Similar to what Bill harrigon does on triple m. The job would be to keep the commentators honest and stand up for the rules of the game not someone’s bias opinion. They have tried to do it and clarify rules with Graham Annersley at Mondays conference but buy Monday the media have already run with it and the narrative has been lost.

I think that commentators need to be more professional. Maybe train them to commentate better. Arguing over their interpretation of the rules is the same as a player complaining to the ref about the decision. Accept the decision and move on. Commentate on the play and players but I don’t want to hear your biased opinion/agenda. Would probably help attract fans to the game as well.

Sky has done this for SL for years, certainly helps cut out the stupid blow ups of commentators who dont know the rules

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Sky has done this for SL for years, certainly helps cut out the stupid blow ups of commentators who dont know the rules

But it’s even funnier that they profess to know the rules but dismiss it and still blame the ref. I still find it hard to understand how a ref can get nailed to the cross by the commentators on decisions that are their interpretations of a rule?

The_Wookie

Bench
Are there any current figures for just the current afl and nrl competition tv ratings? Trying to work out current game averages.

NRL

The addition of Saturday night football screening on free-to-air continues to pay dividends for the NRL, boosting weekend audiences to a total 3.459 million viewers – a big win over the AFL – and taking the season total to 77.37 million at an average match broadcast of 460,000

AFL

The AFL had a poor round 22, recording its second-lowest round total for 2019 with 3.026 million viewers switching on over the weekend. 85.59 million viewers have tuned into the AFL this home and away season with the average broadcast reaching 453,000 viewers

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

NRL

The addition of Saturday night football screening on free-to-air continues to pay dividends for the NRL, boosting weekend audiences to a total 3.459 million viewers – a big win over the AFL – and taking the season total to 77.37 million at an average match broadcast of 460,000

AFL

The AFL had a poor round 22, recording its second-lowest round total for 2019 with 3.026 million viewers switching on over the weekend. 85.59 million viewers have tuned into the AFL this home and away season with the average broadcast reaching 453,000 viewers

Thanks Wookie. It would be a fair argument to say that if the nrl had a 9th game that it would rate near the average (460k). Meaning approximately 11million/yr more viewers. And a fta Saturday game looks like it is a certainty next tv deal.

taipan

Referee
The Queensland sides' ordinary season, the Dragons performing terribly, Kayo, and who knows some of the poor season offfield crap played their part.
Expansion and if Thursday night goes will improve some of these issues.