What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Roosters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I am getting ready for this weeks post game excuse conference
"The boys effort was there tonight as it has been over the past month
The Roosters are the premiers for a reason and have been the bench mark over the past 2 years
They scored most of their 11 tries of kicks and we could only finish the game with 15 men
It just typifies our luck or lack there of this season with injuries and above average distractions but proud of their efforts
We have a lot to play for in the next 2 weeks as we continue to build for next season"
OPINOF..Mary
I don’t even watch the conferences anymore..

I just can’t stand listening to the crap..

SaintPauli

Juniors
My Christmas from my wife every year is an interstate membership, and she tries to get me and and my son to a home game (travel from QLD) each year.
As much as i love the Saints, I’m going to ask her to not purchase a membership this year.
My passion for my team almost dead.
We aren’t flush for funds and I’d rather my kids get the money spent on them.
McGregor has destroyed my team and any interest my boys have in the game.
I’m shattered!!!
See you all when McGregor is gone!!!!
Over and out.
I hope the relevant dragons staff read these emails to get real insights to fans thoughts. They could really learn a thing or 2 as well.

SAP58

Juniors
I now hate Tuesday’s as “The Coach” announces his team selections and my blood pressure goes through the roof when I see how he’s constantly rewards incompetence - players that everyone except him should be in CC and others that should be given an opportunity are ignored.

Dragons 09

Juniors
It is crap..but i just get a good laugh especially the pre game ones

Haha, yeah, i watch them for the comedy factor also and i think there is a twisted side to me that gets delight out of seeing him make an utter fool of himself....i know that is childish but i just can't help myself.

I particularly liked Brett Kimmorley's wrap of the coaches half time speeches on the weekend. He mentioned Morris wanted his team to do this and that and get their act together and really challenged them, where as McGregor apparently was "extremely happy" with the first half performance with just a few small things to work on. I shit you not, you could even tell that Kimmorley was having a WTF moment.

jeffdragon

Bench
If we keep them in the 30s, we will do well.
But shouldn't be like that with the team we have.
Underperforming club.

getsmarty

Immortal
simsa-190810_gt_09.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day information: Round 23
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 20 Aug 2019, 03:14 PM

tickettekboost_820_360.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons v Sydney Roosters
Saturday, August 24
Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah

Broadcast – Fox League and Channel Nine

Match day partner – Tynan Motors

Gates open: 3pm
Dragons v Warriors (Jersey Flegg): 3:15pm
Dragons v Warriors (Canterbury Cup NSW): 5:15pm
Dragons v Roosters (NRL): 7:30pm

Social media hashtags – #NRLDragonsRoosters #redv

TICKETING

Pre-purchase your tickets from Ticketek and save!

GENERAL INFORMATION

MEMBERSHIP – MEMBER APPRECIATION ROUND

30 per cent discount on all merchandise from the Dragons Team Store this weekend! Check your emails for online purchases from Saturday or present your member card in person. T&Cs apply.

Meet the Dragons' NRL Women’s team at the membership tent outside Gate A from 6:15pm. Pick up a team booklet and have your photo taken with your favourite NRLW players! Plus sign up to become a Dragons' NRLW Member to show your support.

There will be some great prizes up for grabs for members on the day so be in attendance for your chance to win.

Red V memberships with access to this game:

• Platinum
  • Full season
  • Heartland
  • Kogarah Upgrade
  • Kogarah Pass
  • Flexi-five, and;
  • Flexi-three
Have a question about membership or want to sign up? Visit the Red V marquees outside Gate A or Gate D.

Don't have access or require extra tickets? Red V members can receive a 20 per cent discount on pre-purchased tickets. Check your member card or emails for further details.

Haven't got your member card? Contact the membership team to have a ticket emailed to you or visit us on game day at the Gate D Red V box office window to collect a paper ticket.

Red V members receive a five per cent discount on food and beverages purchased at the game upon presentation of their member card. External vendors and alcohol excluded.

Find your name on the 2019 member wall on display inside Gate A.

If you need to contact the membership team prior to game day, call 1300 DRAGON or email redv@dragons.com.au

MERCHANDISE

Grab your game day gear with 30 per cent of all X-Blades apparel from the following locations:

TRANSPORT

For transport information, please click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/20/game-day-information-round-23/

getsmarty

Immortal
preview_rd23_6-dragons-v-roosters.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Roosters: Round 23 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 19 Aug 2019, 07:15 PM

The Roosters appear to be timing their premiership run to perfection judging by recent performances.

Last week they gave up the game's opening try to the Warriors and went on to score 42 unanswered points in a runaway victory.

It's probably too late to snatch the minor premiership from Melbourne, given the Storm host the Titans and Cowboys in two of their final three games, but the Roosters are right where they need to be to defend their crown.

The Dragons' narrow loss to the Sharks last week summed up their season in a lot of ways. It's hard to see them staying close on Saturday night, despite the fact they'll be on home soil at Kogarah.

Match: Dragons v Roosters

Round 23 - Saturday 24th August

7:35pm

Home Team

Dragons

14th Position

Away Team

Roosters

2nd Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • Nine Network
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Corey Norman faces what some might call mission impossible - the prospect of having to outplay Roosters ace James Tedesco. But it's not just Norman. Gareth Widdop has to bring his A-game against Luke Keary, while Tyson Frizell will relish his duel with former NSW Origin teammate Angus Crichton.

For the Dragons to win
James Graham needs a good swig from the fountain of youth before he lines up for a crack at the formidable Roosters pack. The ageing warhorse will need steady support up front from Frizell, Paul Vaughan and Blake Lawrie, while skilful backrower Luciano Leilua has to know when to go for the home-run play and when to play it safe. Whichever way you look at it, it's going to take something special for the Dragons to pull off an upset.

For the Roosters to win
If it ain't broke ... you know the rest. The premiers didn't always look great during the season but they sure look unbeatable at the moment. Trent Robinson typically has his forwards locked into their roles, while the star-studded backline has every base covered. All due respect to Boyd Cordner but his injury-enforced absence has barely been noticed. The Chooks will be salivating at the prospect of taking on a down and out Dragons side.

Brett Kimmorley says
We’ve seen the Roosters put lots of big scorelines on lately and I think this will be another one similar to that. They are finding their groove. The Dragons shot themselves in the foot against the Sharks last weekend. They had nothing to play for and it looks like they are just cruising through to the end of the season. I think that with the pace that this will be played at the Dragons won’t be able to handle the game place the Roosters will play at. Roosters by 14

Stat Attack
Latrell Mitchell leads the NRL in points (239) and tries (17), while teammate James Tedesco is tops in line breaks (19) and tackle breaks (125). Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary shares the lead in line break assists (15) with Mitchell Pearce and Damien Cook.

And another thing ...
Latrell Mitchell had a day out when the Roosters beat the Dragons 20-10 in their annual Anzac Day clash, scoring the game's first try and kicking 4/4 goals. The Chooks led 14-0 at half-time before the Dragons got back in the match with tries to Zac Lomax (49th minute) and Matt Dufty (53rd) but couldn't get their noses in front. Roosters prop Siosiua Taukeiaho sealed victory with a 76th-minute try under the posts.

Dragons v Roosters
What will be the result in their round 23 clash?

Dragons v Roosters What will be the result in their round 23 clash?
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%
  • Roosters 1-10
    0%
  • Roosters 11+
    0%
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/20/dragons-v-roosters-round-23-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
euanstatattack.jpg

STATS

Stat attack: Round 23 v Roosters
Author
Timestamp
Tue 20 Aug 2019, 03:25 PM
S

The St George Illawarra Dragons come up against the defending premiers in their final match of the season at Kogarah's Netstrata Jubilee Oval.

The Roosters boast one of the most formidable line-ups in the competition with a star-studded roster jam-packed with strike weapons.

As such, the Roosters have the best attack in the league having scored 561 points this season from 96 tries. While the Dragons rank behind with the 12th best attack producing 377 points and 63 tries this season.

Defensively the Roosters also have the edge, with the third best defence as opposed to the Dragons who sit at 15th. However, the Dragons are more effective at limiting second phase play having conceded 196 offloads to the Roosters' 227.

Interestingly the Roosters have the worst completion rate in the competition (72 per cent), an area the Dragons (76 per cent) will need to beat the Bondi club at to finish successfully on Saturday.

The Dragons have also committed fewer errors (232) to the Roosters (242), and will be determined to continue that trend in their last outing in Kogarah this season.

Don't miss the Dragons' last game at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium and chance to upset the competition heavyweights, get your tickets here.

Danger man

James Tedesco

As arguably the form player of the competition, James Tedesco poses a major threat to the chances of the Dragons on Saturday.

The NSW and Australian fullback has been unstoppable in recent outings, scoring five tries in his last five matches, and leading the competition in line breaks (19) and tackle-breaks (125).

With 10 try assists and an average of 202 metres per game, the Dragons will need to limit Tedesco's impact on the game.

Key match-ups

Euan Aitken v Latrell Mitchell

Aitken and Mitchell have fought out some memorable clashes in recent years and Saturday's match will be no different.

Mitchell has had a point to prove since being dropped from the NSW State of Origin team this year and has responded with five tries in his last three games. Mitchell is also currently the competition's leading pointscorer (239) and try-scorer (17).

Of note, Aitken has made almost 100 more tackles then Mitchell this year at an efficiency of 86.1 per cent.

James Graham v Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

A New Zealand enforcer and England international will do battle in a match-up that will no doubt feature on the highlights reel.

Graham was at his fiery best last weekend, getting under the skin of the Cronulla forward pack with his never back down attitude. Graham has missed just 22 of 618 tackles this year, and hit a season-best 136 metres against the Sharks.

Waerea-Hargreaves doesn't have the same defensive output as Graham with 462 tackles and 34 misses, but makes up for his defensive lapses with his running game. Waerea-Hargreaves averages 138 metres per game with 629 post contact metres this season.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/20/stat-attack-round-23-v-roosters/

BLM01

First Grade
So 1 winger was our only achilles heel and the reason for our poor or in Mary's words "greaty efforts, "unlucky", "the worlds against us", "just cant get over the line' form
Key match-ups
LOL...aitken wins because "A" comes before "M"

getsmarty

Immortal
frizell_teamlist.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Brought to you by

TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 23 v Roosters

Author
Timestamp
Tue 20 Aug 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 23 clash against the Sydney Roosters at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday, August 24.

Jonus Pearson makes his return to the NRL on the wing in place of Mikaele Ravalawa, who shifts to the reserves.

Match: Dragons v Roosters

Round 23 - Saturday 24th August

7:35pm

Home Team

Dragons

14th Position

Away Team

Roosters

2nd Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • Nine Network
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets

Jackson Ford will make his run-on debut for the Dragons, with Patrick Kaufusi reverting back to the bench. Jacob Host has been named in the wider squad of 21 in the only other change.

NRL squad for Round 23 v Sydney Roosters –

1. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
12. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Patrick Kaufusi– sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Tristan Sailor
19. Josh Kerr
20. Jacob Host
21. Mikaele Ravalawa

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/20/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-23-v-roosters/

getsmarty

Immortal

TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Round 23
Author
Timestamp
Tue 20 Aug 2019, 04:13 PM

The Sydney Roosters have named their mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Round 23 clash against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday, August 24.

Siosiua Taukeiaho (calf) returns on the interchange in place of reserves-bound Sitili Tupouniua.

Roosters' NRL squad for Round 23 v St George Illawarra Dragons –

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Sam Verrills
10. Isaac Liu
11. Angus Crichton
12. Mitchell Aubusson
13. Victor Radley

Interchange:
14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Poasa Faamausili
17. Siosiua Taukeiaho
18. Lindsay Collins
19. Lachlan Lam
20. Billy Smith
21. Sitili Tupouniua

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/20/behind-enemy-lines-round-23/

slippery5

Juniors
So 1 winger was our only achilles heel and the reason for our poor or in Mary's words "greaty efforts, "unlucky", "the worlds against us", "just cant get over the line' form
Key match-ups

LOL...aitken wins because "A" comes before "M"
I can't wait to see that match up !!!!!!!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I can't wait to see that match up !!!!!!!!

Particularly now that Aitken has been tokd to look elsewhere. So, it could play out both ways here.
1. Aitken, looking to impress another coach has a blinder.
2. Aitken, drops his bundle and Mitchell has a blinder against him.

I'm leaning to option 2.

Old Timer

Coach
Hopefully the bunker can apply the mercy rule just after half time.
We could in fact probably ask for it at the 30 minute mark in the 1st half but I don't want the guys to miss out on the half time motivational speech from Mc Grinner.